PDA

View Full Version : Opossum in the backyard

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I have a small Opossum hanging out in my backyard how do I get it to move on without hurting it.

Moonie
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Define hurt... painlessly or without harm?

:kidding: :shock:

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't want to kill it.

Trey45
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Put cat food in your neighbors yard......

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Put cat food in your neighbors yard......

I think thats how it got here..[smilie=l:

docone31
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
You can get some Coyote Urine.
Sprinkle some on the burrow. They leave.

Trey45
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
You could try this!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vd_zVJKziTE/TPRXkyFHn7I/AAAAAAAAA-4/fxH63_ifPG0/s1600/lost+cat.jpg
You never know, someone might claim it.

GRUMPA
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Sometimes the local humane Society will have what they call Have-A-Heart traps that they loan out or come over and set up, might want to give that a try.

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I went back with the idea of pinning it down with a broom, grabbing it by the tail and putting it in a trash can, then taking it out and dropping it off in the valley by me. That didn't go per plan it wasn't up to me picking it up by the tail so it took off and ran into the yard next door I plugged the hole it ran thru with a few bricks so maybe all is well.
At least is gone, I have a old dachshund that was trying to get at the opossum and the opossum has way more teeth then he does.

montana_charlie
07-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a old dachshund that was trying to get at the opossum and the opossum has way more teeth then he does.
I'm not saying you should let the daschshund have at the possum, but I bet old 'Fritzenhofer' would come out the winner. Those dogs were bred to follow a badger down into it's den, kill it, and drag it out.

Takes a he-man breed of dog to handle that ...

CM

Plate plinker
07-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Yup, gotta love the wiener dogs. Seen a lab take a lick'in from a badger once, not pretty. Always wondered how those wieners could do it?

Marvin S
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Can't help but think of that commercial where the guy gets a possum for his kids.

montana_charlie
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Yup, gotta love the wiener dogs. Seen a lab take a lick'in from a badger once, not pretty. Always wondered how those wieners could do it?
One thing is the real loose hide on the dachshund.

The badger is a viscious biter, but the dachshund can squirm around so that ol' badger just bites a wad of skin ... and misses the dog.

The dog, on the other hand, is also a great biter, and the badger has no place to 'hide'.

CM

oneokie
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Could have bbq'ed it.

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 08:25 PM
If our little girl was still with us she would have killed the critter in a heartbeat, that was her yard and she guarded it zealously.

OneSkinnyMass
07-12-2012, 08:37 PM
here in long beach, possums are everywhere. they travel on the fences and power lines as to avoid dogs and yotes. Yep coyotes here in long beach, seen em a few times and always in 2's or 3's and right before sunrise usually. about 3 or 4 years ago the possums would come in our doggie door and eat the dry cat food we kept on a shelf in the kitchen but now we have 3 little dogs, a dachshund, a Yorkie and a female Chihuahua. that little taco bell dog is a real killing machine. I have stood at the kitchen window and watched her dispatch several smaller possums while the wiener dog and Yorkie stand around and bark lol

Skinny

Tom-ADC
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
We have our fair share of critters here also, had given some thought to using a live trap, but worried I'd trap a skunk, yuk.

waksupi
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Better keep your weiner dog away from badgers. Weiners are German dogs. They only invade French badger holes. The badgers of course immediately surrender. Only use them for French badgers.

Beekeeper
07-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Tom,
They can climb a tree so your yard isn't safe until you catch it or kill it.Preferabbly both.
Have had a family of 7 caught in my yard using a very large haveaheart trap (they shy away from smaller ones).
I use a pump up BB gun, couple of shots to the skull and into a plastic bag and the garbage.
They will eat anything and are drawn to cat or dog food as it is a quick and easy meal.
Once they find it they will continue to come back looking for a free meal.
I tried the haveheart trap take it out aways and let it go.
It or they always came back.
Trust me , do the right thing and put it out of its misery.
Remember the 3S rule applies here.

beekeeper

Frank46
07-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Possum, the other white meat. yum, yum. Frank

Lee
07-13-2012, 12:27 AM
(5) confirmed skunk
(1) probable skunk
(1) confirmed ground hog

This year, so far.

Kill 'em. Just do it,

Let PETA sort 'em out...........

waksupi
07-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Know what an armadillo is?

Possum on the half shell.

mortre
07-13-2012, 01:24 AM
We've got a Siberian husky keeps the critters out of the yard. She's racked up 3 Opossums, couple of birds, a few rabbits and an untold number of moles. I've got the only mole free back yard in the neighborhood. On the downside, she also got one of my chickens...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Ken B
07-13-2012, 06:09 AM
I love that commercal!!!!!!!!

Freightman
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Shot three in my back yard with Super Colibri ammo, fast efficient and deadly, silent.

Tom-ADC
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Hmmm maybe should have done a little checking before I chased it away???
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xhtml/mason_possum_recipes.html

41 mag fan
07-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Tastes like German Shephard!!!

Big Boomer
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
This morning my wife came rushing into my "study" yelling that we had a skunk in our front yard here in southern Ky. She looked out the window and pointed it out to me. While she kept watch on the critter, I hastened downstairs to the reloading parlor and retrieved my M27-2 S&W 5" nickel plated loaded with 38s
(125 gr. Win. JHP with the nose of the HP opened up with a wood bit). Shoots real accurately. Fixed the bullets that way so they would stay inside any critters we catch in a live trap. They are ruining our corn patch.

By the time I returned, the skunk had wandered over into the front yard of some good folk who make big bucks selling produce of all kinds and had some ruined recently by some kind of gnawing critter. The mother of the guy who runs the place encouraged me to shoot it, since it had wandered into her front yard and that she would dispose of it. I put the critter down with one shot. Must have been a brainer because it never even had opportunity to do a spray job.

As an aside, anyone ever see another S&W M27-2 5" nickel? This is the only one I've ever seen. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Jamesconn
07-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I caught a HUGE possum it was big and it was real evil I caught it in a box trap my dad made me release it cause he can't handle killin anything. When I let it out it turned around and almost bit me I had to whack it with the trap. Possum are big rats they spread diseases cause lots of property damage and injure small pets and kids. Now when I catch something I keep it in there till he leaves then I shoot it and dump it in the trash can. If you don't want to scare little kids or live in populated area take it away and shoot it.

Where I live one gunshot doesn't matter you hear em all the time. Some animals need to die to feed you or they are pests either way they don't deserve to be mistreated I treat them with respect and make it quick and painless one 22 to the head.

Frank46
07-13-2012, 11:20 PM
When I lived on Long Island NY I was in the pool one night and an albino possum strolled up to get a drink. Watched it for some time. Then I went "BOO" sucker disappeared like greased lightening. Couple days later my neighbor asked if I had seen any funny looking critters around. He described it perfectly. Told him it was a possum and I had seen it a few days earlier. Mostly nocturnal from what I have heard. I did tell him they were good eating. Somehow I got the impression he thought I was nuts. Who me?? Frank

Plate plinker
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
This is for you horse people. Possum urine on the hay will kill a horse, just another reason to exterminate the opposum. Just do it.

Gee_Wizz01
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
When I was a teenager, I ran a trap line with cage traps and I was always catching possums. One year the fur man told me he was buying possums, so I skinned about 5 of them. I was very surprised when I only got 75 cents a piece, as raccoons were bring $25 and Coyotes were bring $30 to $70. The possums were one of the nastiest animals I ever skinned. I can't bring myself to cook one. My old bird dog used to kill them, and then walk around gagging. Armadillos are a lot easier to skin and make purty good BBQ. The easiest way to get rid of them without harming them, is cage trap, just be careful turning them loose, my cousin had one climb his leg trying to get it out a trap! I recommend a quick 22 rd to the head and then discreet disposal.

G

Tom-ADC
07-14-2012, 12:31 AM
I have a .177 pellet rifle that does over 1000 FPS should get the job done next time.

looseprojectile
07-14-2012, 03:39 AM
looks like a Labrador retriever.
Is afraid of water.
Is gun shy.
Has killed four possums this year.
He keeps my yard free of moles. [got four this year].
Has had run ins with coons.
Eats squirrels, rabbits and snakes.

Brought a possum to the porch where it took refuge underneath.
I popped it in the back of the head with a BB cap. Did nothing. Hit it between the eye and ear, did nothing. Had to shoot it the third time in the left eye.
It finally laid down and died. It was next to the foundation and I was afraid of richochets or I would have used the usual .22 magnum.
What are BB caps good for?

Robert Ruark said "Use enough Gun" and I was not paying attention.
Will use the .22 short hollow point next time.

Life is good

parrott1969
07-14-2012, 07:18 AM
I AM OFFENDED! So many opossum haters here. He is, after all our only marsupial. I can see you guy's now dancing around a big fire, with your little white napkins around your necks, forks in hand, all hooting and hollering. Chanting Possum, Possum, Possum WHAT A BUNCH SAVAGES, SAVAGES I SAY!

A more sophisticated conousier of Opossum would realize, YOU CANNT EAT POSSUM WITHOUT SWEET TATERS! ITS UNHEARD OF AND MAY EVEN BEE ONE OF THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS! EVEN A YANKEE KNOWS YOU GOTTA HAVE SWEET TATERS WITH POSSUM! GEEEEEZE!, WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS?

KYCaster
07-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I AM OFFENDED! So many opossum haters here. He is, after all our only marsupial. I can see you guy's now dancing around a big fire, with your little white napkins around your necks, forks in hand, all hooting and hollering. Chanting Possum, Possum, Possum WHAT A BUNCH SAVAGES, SAVAGES I SAY!

A more sophisticated conousier of Opossum would realize, YOU CANNT EAT POSSUM WITHOUT SWEET TATERS! ITS UNHEARD OF AND MAY EVEN BEE ONE OF THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS! EVEN A YANKEE KNOWS YOU GOTTA HAVE SWEET TATERS WITH POSSUM! GEEEEEZE!, WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS?

Parrott, can you recommend a good wine to go with that?

Jerry

parrott1969
07-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Wine? With possum? Geeze, they burned people at the stake for lesser offenses than that. Where I came from ( South Central Texas), You have Shiner Bock beer with your Possum. Made with the finest water the Rio Grande has to offer. Flavored with a hint of Vato spit from the south side

canyon-ghost
07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
James, I think you have a fair assessment of what a possum is all about.

Possum are big rats they spread diseases cause lots of property damage and injure small pets and kids.

That's about what I think of them, too.

Moondawg
07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Ditto, on possum baked with sweet taters, Not only does drinking Shiner Bock, go with possum eating, but you can even use Shiner Bock to baste your possum, while baking it. Possum is a well known gorement delicacy in the rural areas of our nation, except for some reason the Yankee folk seldom eat possom. I don't know why.

oneokie
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Ditto, on possum baked with sweet taters, Not only does drinking Shiner Bock, go with possum eating, but you can even use Shiner Bock to baste your possum, while baking it. Possum is a well known gorement delicacy in the rural areas of our nation, except for some reason the Yankee folk seldom eat possom. I don't know why.

Because they don't have any collard greens to fix as a side dish? Collard greens are required with possum.

A red wine would be appropriate.

parrott1969
07-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Red wine? With Possum? That's all I can stand! I canst stands no more! I looking for my rope and a tall tree. Darn Possum traitors!

dmize
07-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I also ran a trapline as a teenager,possums were easy to catch. I kept all of mine and the old guy that was showing me the ropes,he had a boat and big stuffto go after foxes,yotes,bever etc,would give me his because they werent worth him messing with.
I made $300 that winter off just possum hides,top price was $2.
After cleaning that many possums I think they are the nastiest greasiest most discusting animals to ever grow legs and dont think I could eat one on a bet.
Also you can usually run one down and hit it with a stick,it will sull,then pick it up by its tail and carry it off and shoot it.

Freightman
07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
You boys forgot poke salad, the best of the greens.

popper
07-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Love that commercial. Had a dead one on the drive, stepped on it and kicked it, picked it up by the tail and threw it over the fence. Went inside to tell my wife who said it probably wasn't dead, just 'playing possum'. City folk. Live and learn. Usually see them and armadillos as road kill. My problem is rabbits! Stupid things won't eat the weeds or St. Augustine, just bermuda grass.

oneokie
07-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Red wine? With Possum? That's all I can stand! I canst stands no more! I looking for my rope and a tall tree. Darn Possum traitors!

MD 20/20 or Thunderbird?

Charley
07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Wine? With possum? Geeze, they burned people at the stake for lesser offenses than that. Where I came from ( South Central Texas), You have Shiner Bock beer with your Possum. Made with the finest water the Rio Grande has to offer. Flavored with a hint of Vato spit from the south side

And all those Czechs and Polockos who settled Shiner thought they were on the Rio Grande?

KYCaster
07-14-2012, 04:03 PM
A red wine would be appropriate.

That's kinda what I thought..........

Red wine with possum...........

White wine with choupique..............

:drinks:

Jerry

Gee_Wizz01
07-14-2012, 11:19 PM
That's kinda what I thought..........

Red wine with possum...........

White wine with choupique..............

:drinks:

Jerry

Everyone knows you serve white lightning with possum, and a six pack of Lone Star.

G

oneokie
07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Everyone knows you serve white lightning with possum, and a six pack of Lone Star.

G

^^^^^
This man knows how to serve possum properly.

Ilwil
07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm with Beekeeper. I'm soft hearted too, but it ends with invasive species. We have them here, and they were unknown in the 50's and 60's when I was a kid.It is said they came west following the Interstate system, and I doubt they belong in California any more than they do here They are nasty, and without any redeeming features I can think of. Snipe them bag 'em and trash em. Otherwise they are hell on the native species, particularly nesting birds.