PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt in Puma lever for Hogs?

corvette8n
05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I walked into my local gunshop and they had a used Puma levergun in .45 Colt
with a 20" barrel, It was calling my name but I managed to get out before buying it, of course I know its still there calling.
I want to know if this would be good for pigs up to 250lbs or so.
What mold do people recommend for this?

45nut
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
IMHO it would be a dandy choice for hogs with a 250gr, remember you will be sending them faster from the carbine vs a pistol. I had a 357 that was one of the slickest actions I had ever encountered and the trigger was outstanding. a RCBS or equivalent FP RN type would do the job.

DanWalker
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
I've shot quite a few hogs with the 45 colt from a levergun. My preferred boolit is cast from the LEE 300gr rnfpgc. It has a wide meplat that produces great wound channels and has great knockdown power. Load it over 20 grains of 2400 and you'll have some SERIOUS hog medicine.
If you do buy this mould, DON'T buy the 6 cavity version. It has a smaller meplat and a more rounded nose profile than the 2 cavity.

Castaway
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Biggest pig I ever dropped was with my 45 Colt Trapper and Lee's 255 grain RNFP at 90 paces. In one side and out the other and Mr. Pig dropped like he'd been pole axed. I've taken my share of smaller pigs at shorter distances with my Trapper and it's still my favorite hog gun. Light, fast and deadly. I've also taken deer with the same load with the same results.

KCSO
05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
You can load that pup up to about 1450 fps with the 250 grain bullet in that Puma and it WILL drop a hog. Actually this is just about the same energy that they got from a 45-70 in the olden days. (330 bullet at 1350) I would opt for a 225 gc bullet and I would use my hollow pointer on it, but this is just because the Puma has a 1-38 twist and the 200-230 bullets shoot so darn good. My Puma 45 Colt will group 3 shots into 2" or so OFFHAND at 50 yards and under 3" from a rest at 100. I have shot hogs,dogs, deer and finished off a buffalo with a shot through the frontal plate of the skull with the bullet going through to breakthe first vertebra. The only problem that may surface is that the Puma's are chambered somewhat loose to make them feed and some light loads will soot up the bottom of the case. The cure is fast burning powder in light loads and keeping the chamber clean. If you use starline brass it needs to be annealed as it is pretty stiff from the bag. All in all go for it!

timberlost
05-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I have 45 puma I load a 250 kt with 24gr. littlegun and it makes a 30/30 look like it isnt in business timberlost

DLCTEX
05-03-2007, 03:12 PM
In my experience the toughness of the average hog is overrated, not to say that an adrenilin charged hog can't do some nasty gnawing on you before expiring with even a heart shot. Granted, old boars can develop a thick shield over the shoulder and forward vitals from fighting and developing scar tissue, but will not be on sows and probably 90% of boars. I have taken a number of 200#ish hogs with a 22-250 and 55 gr. spire points, and all were DRT. Care was taken to place the bullet in the boiler room or neck. My largest hog was a 750# stag which recieved a 270 factory round Texas heart shot style, also DRT. I have shot a large number of butcher hogs with a 22 long rifle and helped a neighbor with butchering and he always used 22 shorts. Point being, placement is everything regardless of the round chosen. I once saw a hog shot with a 30-06 travel at amazing speed on his front feet and make life exciting for three of us despite a spine shot that hit the loin area. I would have no qualms hunting hogs with a 45 Colt in a pistol or rifle, but even if I had a 45-70, I would be plotting an escape route before I pulled the trigger. Just my dos centavos. DALE