PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm moving into the doghouse

Gussy
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm getting near finishing the new house, after 3 years, and I'm now moving into the doghouse. That is the name my wife has given the apartment in the end of my shop, "The Doghouse". It is my new digs, carpeted, heated, air conditioning, bathroom and kitchen.

My dream reloading room. No, I'm living in the new house. THIS is where I'll probably spend more time. Me and the Lab. I've got benches in, shelves up, set up some reloading equipment, TV and stereo, and it's already a mess. Still trying to find a place for everything. Still have to make some drawers.

We lived in it for 2 years. My wife has a problem when she comes in and sees dead stuff hanging on the walls, still thinks of it as "living room", NOT!!!

In my move I found my collection of Patrick McManess books. Anyone else read those? I had to resist the urge to start reading, one or all. I can get a chuckle just thinking about some of his stories.

If and when I get it "photo ready" I'll post a pic or two.
Gus

wiljen
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
In my move I found my collection of Patrick McManess books. Anyone else read those? I had to resist the urge to start reading, one or all. I can get a chuckle just thinking about some of his stories.

I still remember his hunter's dictionary, my favorite was something along the lines of:

"dafs wa mast tiim I eet pez wif my hunin gnife"

which as I recall translates to:

"Thats the last time I eat peas with my hunting knife"

I have all those books too and reread some now and again.

Blackwater
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Gussy, you're a blessed man, brother. We built a large utility building, the wife said to get my "junk" out of the old bedroom that's been my "reloading room" for many years. Of course, she immediately filled it up with gardening stuff. Oh well, I wasn't looking forward to moving all that stuff anyway. Probably would have found stuff I've been looking for for years, though. None of it will rot, so .... maybe one day I'll find it?

tommag
05-01-2007, 07:19 PM
My all time favorite is "My first deer, and welcome to it"
If I hadn't hunted with a bicycle, I might have dismissed his story as fiction. Having had some first hand experience with a banana-seat, a deer, and a rifle slung over my shoulder, however, I can vouch for at least some of the sensations he experienced! I can tell you this, though, the tighter you tie them on, the longer they stay where you put them!
Anyhoo, I"ve probably revealed more than I should've. Thank goodness there were no video-cams back then!
Next time you read the story, think of Tommag, 30 ft. of rope, a Schwinn,a muley-doe, a model 760, and lots of prickly-pears! (did I forget to mention the prickly-pears?)

waksupi
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Gussy, what is the link to your page? I was telling a guy about your products, and can't locate it.

45nut
05-02-2007, 12:18 AM
there is a link down next to CastPics same line as Lar's and Bullshop's

Bret4207
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
My favorite was the story about riding on the tail gate of a pickup truck at high speed, with his arms full of stuff and hanging on to the tailgate by the rivets ON the tailgate. Never had that much muscle control in my butt! Or maybe it was talking Rancid into some scheme by mentioning the school marm that might need a light bulb changed. Oh great. I gotta go find my McManus books!

Gussy
05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I was lucky enough to get several signed copies (McManess books). He lives in the Spokane area and came to Walla Walla, WA a few times way back, and signed copies.

Link to web site is www.castingstuff.com
Gus

MT Gianni
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM
My all time favorite is "My first deer, and welcome to it"
If I hadn't hunted with a bicycle, I might have dismissed his story as fiction. Having had some first hand experience with a banana-seat, a deer, and a rifle slung over my shoulder, however, I can vouch for at least some of the sensations he experienced!
Next time you read the story, think of Tommag, 30 ft. of rope, a Schwinn,a muley-doe, a model 760, and lots of prickly-pears! (did I forget to mention the prickly-pears?)

Is that the one where Olga ask's how to get the stupid bracelet off? Gianni

waksupi
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I really enjoy McManus. I've read all the books, went to a stage show of his work, AND HAVE LISTENED TO HIM ON AUDIO WHILE TRAVELING. Also most of his magazine columns. I owned one of his pistols for a few years, but it went down the road on some great trade, no doubt.

1hole
05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, this thead is already hi-jacked. On to McManus, I think Patrick is a national treasure. At least for those of us who can relate to his stories, especially those of youth. My first exposure was "Fine and Pleasant Misery", it's still my favorite.

I was once lost - totally - as a 13 year old in a huge flat, heavily overcast and thickly forested Georgia river basin. Had gone into a hunting camp well after dark, got up the next morning in the dark, and walked out of camp with my father and his friend in the dark. I had no idea where I was but didn't realise it until I got seperated from them in the early morning fog. I had a compass that was supposed to show me the way home but the lousy thing only pointed towards Canada and I din't want to go there. That's the day I became an expert on what Patrick calls "Full-Bore Linear Panic", just a few minutes before I developed the more highly refined "Modified Ricochet Panic."

Was 42 when I read "...Misery". I usually read such light stuff at night to wind down before sleeping so that was where I took my new book. I usually read a book that size in a couple of nights; "...Misery" took most of two weeks! I just can't read fast when I'm laughing that hard! Nor could my wife sleep. I would read a paragraph and laff, read a line and laff, read a couple of words and laff. The bed was constantly shaking so a tired Momma would get angry. It was some really slow reading but I was recalling a lot of youthful adventures, some of which involved Army surplus stuff, that I hadn't thought of in many years.

I now have 7 of Pat's books on my shelves and have lost another 3 that were loaned out but not returned. A grandson has one, hope he likes it too. And returns it. ?? Oh, well, so what.

Ricochet
05-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I got his book The Best Fishing Trip Ever for 50 cents off a bargain table at a book store in Pigeon Forge. Best four bits I ever spent! I've never laughed so hard!

db2
05-04-2007, 09:49 PM
High school anatomy/physiology class, on Fridays our teacher would read to the class one of McManus's stories. He was one of the very few teachers I remember from high school.:)

db2