PDA

View Full Version : No Zack for a few days (grounded)

Olevern
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
:sad:
Received a call from Z's dad today informing that Z was grounded because he refused to get on the bus for Summer school this morning.

Discussed appropriate punishment and dad decided that two days total grounding would suffice for this, the first refusal to go (Z actually physically resisted dad getting him out of bed) I felt that it was too lenient, but concurred since dad would also tell Z that any further like infractions would result in a week of grounding.

Dad did not ask me to not come over and see Z during this time, but I talked with Z on the phone and explained to him that I enjoy doing things with him when he is doing the right thing, but would not reward bad behavior by coming over during his confinment. I invited Z to call me and let me know how he was doing as his parents had not restricted him from calling me (no other phone privs). Z generally calls me every evening we don't see each other and I think that support is important.

There is considerable tension in the household between Z's parents and I'm sure this has some impact on his behavior as he is not very good about talking about his frustrations and upset, he tends to bottle it up until he explodes over something unrelated and usually insignificant. I am trying to get him to call me and open up about things that are bothering him, but am relatively new in the relationship and that coping skill is not possible for him as yet. I have assured him that if something is bothering him and he calls and tells me he needs to talk, I will do my best to get right to him so we can talk.

Changing long time negative (and age inappropriate) coping mechanisms (outbursts, yelling, crying, violence) to age appropriate effective coping skills is not something that happens in weeks (or sometimes even months) but is something we will work on.

So, looks like Sat. Z and I will go somewhere (perhaps a walk in the woods) where we can sit down and talk.

Thumbcocker
07-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I think you are doing fine and being a good friend.

x101airborne
07-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Yes, I applaud you for being supportive and reinforcing proper behavior.

When I first got around my stepson, he was 6. Come the first day of kindergarden, his mother told him to get up 4 times. He still laid in bed. I walked in and turned on the light. I said "Get up". He rolled over and pulled the covers over his head. So I pulled the 36 inch double layered leather belt off my waist and proceeded to whoop the junk out of him through the covers. I continued to catch him around the back of the legs till he was in the shower. I have NEVER had to do that again. Neither has his mother had to tell him twice to get out of bed.
It hurts to be stern, but it is worth it in the long run. I am not raising a Future Felon of America. I am a parent, not an equal to them. Kudos to you for being a responsible adult.

timbuck
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
My Grandma had enough of getting my uncle out of bed, she told him if he didn't get up the next morning, she was going to throw a bowl of ice cubes in bed with him. Next morning, she did. He was up like lightning. Next morning, he still didn't get out of bed when called, she put the ice cubes in a metal bowl, for noise effect, what do you know, he was up and in the bathroom in no time.

Wayne Smith
07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I have, for years, suggested that parents keep a spray bottle of water in the refrigerator to encourage avoidant and lazy kids. A few years ago a young man looked at me and said: "My Dad had a better idea. He kept marbles in the freezer!"

ErikO
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
We tell the kiddo that if he doesn't get up he has to go with mom when she shops for shoes. Works every time.

Olevern
07-12-2012, 11:06 AM
We tell the kiddo that if he doesn't get up he has to go with mom when she shops for shoes. Works every time.

That there's funny: might be more effective than the ice cubes, which I liked as well.

41 mag fan
07-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Each kid is different. Some kids it takes stern discipline to get on the track or straight and narrow. Other kids, just a raising of a voice does the job.
When theres tension or problems between parents that cause arguements between them, a child will lash out. Sometimes this is a sign the problems at home are causing the behavior outlashes.

Boz330
07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
My old man just said get up.
For me grounding was usually a minimum of a week. Bad grades was till the next report card came out,:sad:: that one proved to be especially effective. Dad believed in corporal punishment but he figured out that I prized my freedom much more. Got grounded for a whole month one summer for blowing up the local sewer system. I swear I didn't know sewer gas was flammable. :shock:
I was the kind of kid that was referred to as Grandparents revenge. Didn't get into real bad trouble just mischief. Even the sewer incident just lifted some of the sewer lids.

Bob

41 mag fan
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Got grounded for a whole month one summer for blowing up the local sewer system. I swear I didn't know sewer gas was flammable. :shock:

Bob

That IS WAY TO FUNNY!!!!

EMC45
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I recently grounded my 3. 30 days restriction. No tv, computer, snacks, and early (730PM) bedtime. In that time they read more, cleaned up more and got along better. Believe it or not they really aren't as interested in TV or computer like they once were. I will not tolerate insubordnation.

GT27
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Hardest,yet most rewarding job in my opinion, is being a good parent! GT27

Boz330
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
That IS WAY TO FUNNY!!!!

I think so to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOW, not so much then and neither did the old man.
I could go out in the yard but that was all and of course I was so bored that I invented yard work to do after I had completed everything else possible. Got a reprieve the last week before school to go visit a friend that had moved from the neighborhood.[smilie=w:

Bob