PDA

View Full Version : Alloying Antimony with WW or pure lead

marklyftogt
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Sorry, I know I saw something on here a while back talking about how to get antimony to alloy with WW even though its melting point is much higher.

I cannot find it back for the life of me.

I bought some flake antimony before I knew its melting point and I would like to find a way to use it up.

Could someone point me to the correct article(s) please?

runfiverun
07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
read the instructions on the antimony man's sight that is how i do it.
tin in the alloy helps.

44man
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
tin in the alloy helps.
This is the way. Antimony will alloy in at 600* with the right flux.

marklyftogt
07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
tin in the alloy helps.

The Antimony man's website has been hacked. You will get a computer virus if you go to his page...I tried it. Anywhere else?

runfiverun
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
hold the alloy to 600-615-f
you need a flux that will wet the antimony [i have some old stuff from the antimony man]
but i have used marvelux also.
sprinkle a titch on the surface of the alloy[like from a salt shaker] too little is better than too much
then sprinkle the antimony on the flux.
and stir,and stir,and stir,and stir,add a titch more flux,and stir and stir......

i have not tried using carbon and/or fire and they might work just as well or better, but i do know the above method works if you have the patience.

marklyftogt
07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
hold the alloy to 600-615-f
you need a flux that will wet the antimony [i have some old stuff from the antimony man]
but i have used marvelux also.
sprinkle a titch on the surface of the alloy[like from a salt shaker] too little is better than too much
then sprinkle the antimony on the flux.
and stir,and stir,and stir,and stir,add a titch more flux,and stir and stir......

i have not tried using carbon and/or fire and they might work just as well or better, but i do know the above method works if you have the patience.

Thanks! I will give that a try.

44man
07-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Sad to hear about his site!
Bill really knows his lead and alloys.

marklyftogt
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Sad to hear about his site!
Bill really knows his lead and alloys.

If any of you guys know him you should have him call his webmaster and get this fixed. I would love to read his information.

leadman
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I made a batch of 30 to 1 lead to antimony awhile back. Did it outdoors on the big burner with a smaller iron pot. Put in the antimony until it melted then added the lead and stirred, fluxed, poured into ingots.

I do have a respirator that I wore while doing this as the temp might have been high enough to vaporize the lead. I did not have to hold the temp high for very long once the lead was added.
Stying upwind also helps.