PDA

View Full Version : Hey Goatlips???

Whitespider
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Was browsing your site. Where did you get that Industrial Thermometer pictured in the “speed casting” pages? Manufacturer brand? Can you leave it in the melt for an extended period?

Thanks
WS

Goatlips
05-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey Whitespider! Just got back in town, sorry for the delay. The Thermometer is a Weiss, liquid in a tube, goes up to 950 degrees; I found it on ebay for about eleven bucks plus shipping, new in box. Now that I think about it, it's probably for steam and not lead, but it works well. Below the readout is about a 3/4" plug, thru that is 3" of 1/2" brass sleeve, out of that comes 3" of maybe 3/8" brass sensor. I was going to make a bracket for it to stand straight in my Lee pot, but I just stuck it in the melt and it seems happy there. I figger it might be more accurate than the dial types as it works like a baby thermometer with no moving parts.

I can leave it in the pot all day and have. I'm a mediocre caster but have a top notch thermometer! :castmine:

Other casters, am I wrong for trusting an industrial thermometer or will it outcalibrate a dial type?

Goatlips

Whitespider
05-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks again GL

WS