PDA

View Full Version : How cheap can I get?

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Have been having trouble with coons getting into my chicken house lately. I hate to do it, but I had to set my live traps. Ran the traps this morning and took along my pop gun. It is a H&R 732 in 32 H&R that someone GAVE me if I would put it back together. I have been using some 32 auto rounds and have been happy with them, but they are a little too expensive for just popping coons. And, yes.... A 22 would work fine and has for me many times before, I just wanted to use something a little more exotic. So my load was a spent 32 auto case as fired. I dont have dies, so I just knocked the primer out with a punch. A winchester small pistol standard primer, ONE grain of bullseye and a 00 buckshot pellet. Again, without dies, I just took a piece of leather and a pair of channel-locks and seated the pellet. My GUESS is this load gives me about 700 fps with a 45 grain pellet. Very effective for the coons. Great skull busting and lots of grey matter oozing out of everywhere.
So the cost comes to.....
Brass.... Free
Weapon.... Free
Buckshot.... Free
1 grain bullseye.... maybe 1/10 of a cent? I dont know!
Primer.... 1.5 cents
Finally getting to bust that bushy tail bandit...... Priceless

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_155754ffc5f33144ee.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5856)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_155754ffc5f54bb375.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5857)

HarryT
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Speaking on behalf of coons everywhere, "That's a cheap shot!"

You could get really cheap and shoot them with a slingshot.

geargnasher
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
If you decide to splurge, you could always roll the buckshot in a little 45/45/10, might give you another 5 fps!

I have an H&R in .32 S&W with a bored-through cylinder so it'll take anything with a rim (NOT good since .327 Federal came out), and have a handfull of short and long brass. I might have to try that little popgun trick if I can get hold of some cheap buckshot. The gun dang sure isn't good for much else.

Gear

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I just did the math......
18.00 a pound (the tag is still on it)
divided by
7000 approximate grains per pound
.0025 cents per round.
I was way off.

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey Gear,
Since I make it, if you want some to have on hand, I would send you some.
OR..... Next time we hang out just remind me to bring you some.

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I just did a quick internet search for 22 ammo.
My 32 load is WAY cheaper than 22 bulk ammo.

geargnasher
07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Gear,
Since I make it, if you want some to have on hand, I would send you some.
OR..... Next time we hang out just remind me to bring you some.

Much obliged, Sir! As soon as I get this shack patched together enough to entertain overnight guests you're getting the first invitation!

Gear

JeffinNZ
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Make sure you slip a large ingot of lead under the coon prior to the coup de grace so you can easily recover the buckshot. See if you can line up TWO animals for one shot.

LOL. I thought I was cheap.........

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Actually..... The buckshot did not exit the coons head from being shot directly overhead. I guess if I wanted to, I could get it back. But I am not THAT cheap! LOL

geargnasher
07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Aw, don't say that! Now the petawackos will be all over your case that you're poisoning the Turkey Vultures with your evil lead projectiles!

Gear

UBER7MM
07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
x101,

You are hard core!

I love the ingenuity, and the American "can do" spirit!

Thanks for sharing,

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh, they still get poisoned, it is just a more direct and deliberate form of lead poisoning. Just like the Petawhackos get.

RU shooter
07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
The only way you could get any cheaper is to do what I did when I used to trap coon,Just club them with ball bat......

Johnch
07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Not as much fun
But easyer

Is to use Golden Marlin Fly bait and Coke

Just mix 1 can of pop and 2 heaping table spoons of the fly bait

Put where the chickens can't get it

Normaly the coon make it 10-15 feet

Just have to pick them up and get rid of them

Yep another cheap farm trick to deal with coon

John

Wolfer
07-10-2012, 06:53 PM
A good friend of mine doesn't own a gun! I know it's beyond my comprension too. He had trapped a coon that was getting in his chickens. He stripped an old lamp cord, twisted one wire to the cage, taped the other on the end of a stick with the bare wire sticking out. After plugging it in when he stuck it in the cage the coon bit the end of the stick. He said a gun won't kill one any faster that that did.

Bye the way I loaned him a gun!

canyon-ghost
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/Picture482-1.jpg

x101, meet my possum killer. It takes about 1.4 grains to carry to 50 meters, 1.9 grains for 100 meters, Bullseye, that is. It's an R73 32mag. I toyed with it, it's an okay trail gun that works for a house and yard revolver for the times when you don't want to try killing a varmint with an all out 9mm.

Good Luck,
Ron

quilbilly
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Strange but true. Where we used to live (in town) we found that if there was either a big boar raccoon or a mama with babies hanging around the house, the local coyotes gave us a wide berth. When our neighbors were even losing larger dogs to coyote packs, our pets were safe. Now that we are out in the country, the situation might be different.

slim1836
07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Could you have used the small glue sticks in lieu of pellets with just primers??

x101airborne
07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Could you have used the small glue sticks in lieu of pellets with just primers??

LOL.... I think the penetration may be lacking...LOL

geargnasher
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM

I guess you could if you're into animal cruelty. For killing, nothing beats fast moving lead (or electrons, apparently!).

Gear

runfiverun
07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
or slow moving lead.
i don't know about those glue sticks.
i tried a mag sr primer in my 30 carbine revolver with a cut down 5/16th's glue stick and it was stripping the rifling.
it penetrated 2"s of styrofoam insulation and put a dent in the metal garage door.
i thought it went through and hit the wifes car it made so much noise.
it did shoot to poa at 15' though.
a body shot on a racoon would most likely penetrate.

Thumbcocker
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Rocks is free and you might be able to find a big one in Texas.

x101airborne
07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Rocks is free and you might be able to find a big one in Texas.

Hehehe..... Yeah, but they are heck on rifling!

EMC45
07-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Just bought one of these 732s yesterday. 2.5in. round butt. Fired little, kind of neglected though (some surface rust that came right off). Got it for $100. Me and my daughter just loaded 50 rounds for it. Can't wait to shoot it!

429421Cowboy
07-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Cool story bro! There is something about this boolit shooting sport that makes us try and do stuff like that to show we can and how cheap we can get away with! Your equipment cost seems even lower than your materiel cost lol

TXGunNut
07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Boolit casters aren't cheap; they just maximize ROI while shrinking POI.

x101airborne
07-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Boolit casters aren't cheap; they just maximize ROI while shrinking POI.

No, really. I am cheap. At least on everything BUT my shooting sports. Just ask my wife.

x101airborne
07-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I am pretty impressed with this little concoction (or should I say Cooncoction) for dispatching trapped animals. This is working out great for one shot kills up close. I know all rounds have the possibility of riccochet, but I think the possibility of this little buck load riccocheting is less than the high velocity of a 22. Especially since I have not had one exit a head yet. I wish I would have known about this back when I was traplining.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_155755007086cafa61.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5943)

cabezaverde
07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I hate those things!!!

Silvercreek Farmer
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Only thing cheaper would be a sharp stick! I just want to know were you got those 1.5 cent primers! Even if that's all you paid for them years ago, today they are worth double that.

x101airborne
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
A friend of mine's father passed and he wanted to sell me his dad's reloading gear. His dad had about 15,000 primers in their origional boxes vacume packed in the wild game vacume bags. All winchester stuff. I got a couple presses, a shotgun press, about 20 pounds of various powders, primers, etc. for 500.00. He only wanted 250.00, but I just handed him a wad of cash and he didn't count it right then. After I left, he called me and fussed at me. I told him to go have fun and I was making out like a thief. He told me that he felt bad about asking for the 250.00 and was glad the equipment was getting a good home. I was just putting a round estimate on the primers, but I know they are cheaper than that to me.

nanuk
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I just did the math......
18.00 a pound (the tag is still on it)
divided by
7000 approximate grains per pound
.0025 cents per round.
I was way off.

up here, primers are near $0.05 now

and using your math, 25/10000 of a cent is pretty cheap... actually it works to about 1/4 of a cent, so 4 grains would be 1 penny

Don1955
07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
One of my co workers now deceased used the tail pipe for killing his chickens while warming up the car.
Another words he was forever know to choke his chicken.
And being the animal lover he was ( raised chinchillas in the house, sheep in the front yard ) when he had coons in the chicken coop like you he used a have a heart trap. The difference is he BAYONETED his coons with the 16 inch 1903 springfield. He said the coon got real pi__ed off after the first stab but lay motionless after the third thrust.
And I swear I'm not makein this up!

waksupi
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
One of my co workers now deceased used the tail pipe for killing his chickens while warming up the car.
Another words he was forever know to choke his chicken.
And being the animal lover he was ( raised chinchillas in the house, sheep in the front yard ) when he had coons in the chicken coop like you he used a have a heart trap. The difference is he BAYONETED his coons with the 16 inch 1903 springfield. He said the coon got real pi__ed off after the first stab but lay motionless after the third thrust.
And I swear I'm not makein this up!

This reminds me of an incident that happened around here years ago.
I was working on a ranch, that had a chicken ranch adjoining it.
Their practice with laid out hens, was to load them in the back of a truck, run the exhaust through it, and haul them to the dump. As a rule the plan worked just fine. They would drive to the dump, unload, and come home.
For some reason the plan didn't work out correctly one time. The gassing had been enough to render the chickens unconscious, but they were still alive.
When they arrived at the dump, they unloaded the cargo, and left.
As the fresh air began reviving the chickens, the dump workers were surprised to see chickens walking around the dump scrounging for food. Soon they saw more and more. Somewhere around 1200 chickens.
The chicken farm was called, and apparently there was quite the rodeo as the chickens were rounded up and dispatched.
After that, the euthanasia techniques were changed somewhat.

Bored1
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Nice idea for a load. Recently read an article in BACKWOODS Magazine about a cartridge pretty close to that but the guy was using it in his mosin nagant with a 32 catridge adapter. Thought it was worth trying for cheap squirel hunting with my mosin, now I think you may have talked me into trying to find one of these old pistols also. Have a problem with racoon in my yard lately, but since I live right in the middle of town, Im positive someone will have a problem with me shooting them!!!

Lightning Ross
08-01-2012, 07:59 AM
If you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper I used to subscribe to.

bigjason6
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
if you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper i used to subscribe to.

You've got to be kidding me...

dmize
08-01-2012, 10:09 PM
When running traps for fur back in 82-85 I used 22 shorts as told from my trapping mentor. Junk *** 22 Winchester semi-auto loaded with shorts,muzzle against critters head and pull trigger. Animal is dead and no fur wasted.
I guess even back then I had a strange belief in karma,trap animal,check trap as soon as possible and dispatch quickly.
I did try drowning a coon in a live trap once, I guess the water was too clear and I spend too much time in a boat on a river,I pulled the trap out and let him go after watching him struggle.

dmize
08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
If you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper I used to subscribe to.
I live in the turkey capital county of Missouri and I have hauled a LOT of dead turkeys to the "dead pit" and delt with mortality issues with my own chicken flock,BUT,
PLEASE tell me the chickens were dispatched BEFORE going into the chipper.

Lightning Ross
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
No sir they were not.Imediate Destruction of the the birds were ordered by the state vet. The sheriff was called in on the complaint was referred to the state vet. After the sherriff consultated with the vet the chicken grower was ordered to proceed.This was some kind of very serious sickness The birds were dispatched and reains burned in a large pit on the property. And was quarenteened for 6months afterwords.

cat223
08-03-2012, 06:54 AM
..." I did try drowning a coon in a live trap once, I guess the water was too clear and I spend too much time in a boat on a river,I pulled the trap out and let him go after watching him struggle.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see that done. Might just have drowning nightmares after that.

cat223
08-03-2012, 07:00 AM
I have an old 32 S&W long revolver. would this 00 Buck load work in it also? Sounds kinda fun.

x101airborne
08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
cat223, well, it should. SHOULD being the operative word.