PDA

View Full Version : hi-point pistols

Jim
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
A guy at work told me today his dad has a hi-point .40 cal. for sale. Are these pistols any good? If it were in mint condition(so he claims), what would be a fair price?

Thanks,
Jim

mooman76
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Some people gawck at High Point pistols but they aren't bad. Like the AK they are a cheap dependable solid meat and potatoes gun. Some of them actually shoot pretty darn good too(and I am not saying they shoot bad). They have a lifetime warantee. The magazines are all single stack and if I remember right the 40 hold 9 but it might be 10. They also come with an extra sight, a ghost sight. They also started making carbine rifles that take the same mag as the pistols that shoot pretty well too. Some times they are hard to find especially in 40 because of the price people scarff them up quick. Allot of cops around here carry them as a backup or throw away because of the cheap price. My friend has on in 9mm and loves it. I had on in 40 but sold it to buy a better one plus the 40 I had wasn't bad but it was an earlier model and they were real square and heavy and then a few years later they switched to a polymere fram that is more rounded and allot more comfortable. I seen a 9mm a couple years back that came from the factory with a extra mag, compinsator and lazer sight for $200.
If you looked around you could probubly pick up a new 40 for no more than $200. I myself think I would pay $150-$175 at most if it is in the shape he says it is in with all the extra stuff if it is the newer version. They make a good plinking gun or a low economy carry piece!
I forgot to say also they are mad in the good ol USA!:Fire:

Lloyd Smale
04-30-2007, 07:22 PM
but ugly but i have to admit the few ives shot have run well

Buckshot
04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
.............I was gonna say what Lloyd posted :-) ! I dont' have one but I'd read some report or other and it said you won't wow the champagne set with it's looks but apparently they go like the energizer bunny. I also understand they have a super warrenty.

..............Buckshot

trooperdan
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I believe these aren't even made of steel; instead I think they are made of a zinc alloy. I wouldn't give over $75 for one and then only if I had just scored in the lottery and I thought the guy that had it needed the money.

trooperdan
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
And I forgot to say, they are butt-ugly!

454PB
04-30-2007, 11:17 PM
I have one in 40 S&W. I bought it (believe it or no) because I was given about 400 rounds of loaded ammo and a coffee can full of fired brass, plus a 500 count box of commercial cast bullets. I was not too hot on the concept of the fourty short and weak, but have learned via this inexpensive pistol that it has it's merits.

Other than the fact that it is butt ugly and badly balanced towards the grips and magazine, it's a good shooter. It is a PITA to disassemble, and the low cost is very visible once done.

I keep it towards the rear of the gun safe, less likely to be accidentally spotted by another shooter/guest.

Danged if I haven't picked up another coffee can full of fired brass at my pistol range. Maybe someday I'll spring for a Ruger in 40 S&W.

Crash_Corrigan
04-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I bought a 9 MM HiPoint last year. I shot only reloads in it and it always fed and shot very accurately. One day a dud round got lodged in the barrel. I tapped it out with a squib rod and it somehow dislodged the safety. I could not fix it so I called the company in OHIO. They asked me to send it to them. I mailed it off via USPS in an unmarked carton well padded and two weeks later I got back a brand new gun (original barrel only) with an apoplogy and two extra 10 round magazines. That darned thing is plug ugly but it shoots as good as my 1911 .45 and is about as accurate. It is totally reliable. Slap some of the skatboard tacky tape on the grip and you are good to go. I love the ghost ring sight. I can pick it up really easily and my times on steel plate shooting have dropped a lot. For the money you cannot beat it. But is really ugly.
:Fire:

Lee
05-01-2007, 01:27 AM
I've got several of these "zinc-alloy"[smilie=1: beauties, and can honestly say that the onliest problem I've ever had with any is that they're....................................butt ugly!!......................................Lee;-)

Bret4207
05-01-2007, 06:07 AM
There's a 45ACP with 2 mags and a holster near here for $125.00. I've often thought of keeping it in a locked compartment in my truck. Just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Jeeze they're ugly. Supposed to shoot good and be reliable though. Sort of the modern Iver Johnson.

Boz330
05-01-2007, 08:49 AM
I bought one of these when they first came out. I think it was $75 or $80 and was a unique design. The one I had was 9MM and straight recoil operated which kind of turned me off. If you think the new ones are butt ugly you should have seen this, looked like it was made with a cold chisel and was painted black. I don't remember how it shot I didn't keep it that long. I just wanted something to throw in the glove box that wouldn't be missed if it was stolen. I'm not sure anyone would take it.:roll:

Bob

9.3X62AL
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't know much about the Hi-Point products, after seeing them in gun shop display cases I couldn't warm up to them. But I do have a Broomhandle Mauser, so clean lines and ergonomics aren't a requirement for me.

drinks
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Gun Tests mag. thought very highly of them, very dependable and accurate.
The list price is $140, 9mm, a local dealer sells all he can get at $114 each.
I have the C9, newest compact 9mm.
It is plain, but not actually ugly, the da only trigger is about 5lb, short travel, smooth and crisp. I have run a bunch of cast handloads in it, no malfunctions yet.
I bought it to have a practice gun to try to get back to handgun shooting, laid off for the last 40 years. I wanted a dao as I intend to get a Kel Tec to carry when I get my permitI would mention, I tried a Kel Tec P3, had a fair trigger, tried the P11, has the worst trigger I have ever tried, but Kel Tec is out with a new single stack 9mm with the P3 trigger, so I expect to get that.

Jim
05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses, guys. 'Preciate it.

DLCTEX
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't care if they are made of zinc or whatever, they appear to be a good value for the money, and the warrenty seems to have taken care of everyone so far. I do not expect Kimber quality for the price, and I've heard more criticism of Springfield Armory than Hi Point, but that may be due to lower expectations. If I knew I was going into a gunfight, or likely to, I'd be carrying the best money can buy, but for plinking and practicing, I would not be ashamed to have a Hi Point. As my Mom used to say," Pretty is as pretty does". I don't like the looks of a Glock,either, but can't fault it's performance. To each his own. Dale:Fire:

MTWeatherman
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I've got three Hi-Points and all have been an incredible value for the investment. I've got a 9mm and .40 S&W carbine and a 9mm handgun. Got the carbine first and was extremely please with it...based on that, figured I couldn't lose much in investing $99.95 on the handgun so, although my taste in handguns runs to revolvers, bought the Hi-Point pistol as a cast boolit plinker. I was pleasantly surprised with its performance.

Hi-Points are exceptionally reliable (they eat anything), inexpensive, and, as already pointed out...have the best warranty in the business. They're good for a lifetime...if they ever fail, send it in and they will fix it...no questions asked. Need a part? Give them a call...its in the mail free of charge.

I've got thousands of rounds of cast boolits through these Hi-Points. I bought them as inexpensive "knock around" guns that get heavy use as plinkers and "fun guns". In my experience, they are as reliable as any semi-auto made. They just plain work. I've heard it said by some that they wouldn't trust one for defense. I question how many people with that opinion have actually owned and used one.

Hi-Points aren't really a "zinc" handgun anymore than a Glock is a "plastic" one. The slide is zinc, but is reinforced at the bolt head with steel. The receiver and barrel are steel as well as all the internal moving parts. The frame is polymer... similar to a Glock. They are a pain to disassemble but its not a major job. Its not finely finished but what would you expect for the price?? Its a full blowback design ...a simple design that contributes to its reliability but does require a heavier slide so they have a bit more bulk and weight than some other models. The pistols are almost unique in having a rear sight that's adjustable for elevation as well as windage. Mine will hold 4" at 25 yards from a rest...that's as good as these aging eyes can do with any 3.5 inch barreled semi-auto.

Maybe they are ugly...but I think a Glock is ugly too(it looks like a Hi-Points cousin) . Granted, the Glock will give you braggin rights at the range and the Hi-Point won't. However, you could buy a 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP Hi-Point for the price of that Glock.

Freightman
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
My brother-in-law has a nine and has been carring it for 10 years, well it started not feeding, I ask have you cleaned it? no if I have to clean it I will just throw it away and buy another. So I took it home and cleaned it for him it now works fine but he will not clean it but it took 10 years to stop it.

DLCTEX
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Freightman:Tell your BIL that if he gets ready to throw it away, let me know and I'll be there to catch it. LOL DALE