PDA

View Full Version : Re-finishing a Marlin Stock

k8bor
04-30-2007, 12:34 PM
A couple weeks ago, I noticed that in the high contact areas of the stock on my 1894C the finish had worn to a very nice luster. Most of the Marlins have some pretty nice wood on them. However the epoxy finish, or what ever hard finish Marlin uses, is generally unattractive. Useful, but not good looking.

I had already been considering sanding the stock and then Tru-oling it nicely when I noticed these areas. I've finished stocks with Truoil before and it does a very nice job, but is a fair amount of work.

As an alternative, I took the shoulder stock off the rifle and masked off the checkering, using an exacto knife to trim right up to the edges. Then I whipped out the can of Brasso and decided to see if the Marlin finish was hard enough to be polished with it. You wouldn't believe it. After about 10 minutes of work on that stock with the Brasso, the stock just gleamed! Pulled the front stock off and did the same thing. Just amazing results!

Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm not mocking or making fun of any of the wonderful stock work you can do with good products, but as an alternative method, this worked just great.

As a side note, this worked just as well on my lever action Henry .22LR repeater also.

Have fun.

k8bor