PDA

View Full Version : New to me rifle

Wolfer
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
I recently aquired a 30-40 krag rifle from a member here but it's been too hot to get in my reloading shed. This afternoon it was drizzling rain and the temp had dropped to 80 so I thought I would see what I could put together.
I rarely slug a bore until I have a problem but I stuck a 311041 in the end of the barrel and it left rifle marks on the nose. I had a little 2400 so I loaded up 16 grs for starters.
I was only shooting 30 yds with a rest off the hood of the truck with no bags and the first shot was a couple inches out of the group but the next nine were closer than I would expect from my old eyes and open sights.
16 grs of 2400 has never been my best load but I'm always amazed at how well it works in most rifles.
I'll get the chrony out on a prettier day and shoot a little further and see what happens.

By the way HARRYMPOPE. Thanks, woody

x101airborne
07-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Hey, good deal!
16 grains of 2400 has never been my best, but never my worst either. Specially for economy or 50 yards and under it seems to work well in most weapons. Interested to hear what velocity you are getting.

44man
07-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Darn nice cast boolit gun!
Sounds great so far.