PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Mossberg 464

FergusonTO35
07-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Don't worry, no Piccatinny rails or CAR stock. Its this version:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/41010.jpg

The Mossberg 464 is sort of an improved Winchester 94. It has a rear receiver bridge over the locking block, a round bolt, and a Marlin style spring steel extractor. I've always been interested in these rifles but not enough to buy a new one. Today I visited a couple of pawnshops out in the sticks and found a Mossberg 464 in .30 WCF. Its in excellent shape save for a few scratches on the stock. It was stickered at only $249.00, the guy said he would take $230.00 for it. Needless to say it came home with me. :drinks:

So, anyone here have any experiences with this rifle? Do they digest boolits well? Scope mounting is easy on this gun due to the rear receiver bridge, it uses the same base as the front. Do I have any receiver sight options for it?

richhodg66
07-07-2012, 10:34 PM
I haven't shot one but I do kind of like the ones I've handled. A shop around here had one in stainless with a laminate stock that I liked despite being something of a traditionalist.

I do wish they had skipped the thumb safety though. I can't stand the idea of a safety on an exposed hammer gun.

Let us know how it shoots.

FergusonTO35
07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
It feels like it is of better quality than the Winchester 94 I used to have. The action feels tighter and the factory sights are really nice.

quilbilly
07-09-2012, 01:00 AM
I have had mine for almost three years and it loves CB's. I bought it on sale as a truck rifle (inexpensive knock around) and it has been a real treasure. My load is a Lee 160 gr RNGC and about 15 gr of 5744 for an MV of 1550 but shoots almost as well anything from 1300 to 2100.

FergusonTO35
07-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks. Upon closer inspection, it does have some minor problems. The screw for the barrel band on the forend is broken, the threaded portion is stuck in the band. There is a small dent in the forend and some light scratches on the stock. Otherwise its in great shape, I'm dropping it off at the gunsmith after work to take care of those problems. I like this rifle, it feels really solid. Skinner is coming out with a receiver sight for it which I will be purchasing as soon as it is available. The factory sights on it are really nice, screw adjustable for windage.

TXGunNut
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I like it, looking forward to a range report. :drinks:

MGySgt
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
If I am not mistaken, the mossbergs had that safety on it for a whole lot of years. My niece almost shot my BIL back in the 70's with a marlin when her thumb sliped off the hamer after puting one in the chamber. She was 19 or 20 at the time.

He would not let her load it again that deer season, he did it for her. He sold the Marlin after deer season and bought a Mossberg just because it had the safety.

Hamish
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice one mister. Gunbroker shows none less than four bills.

FergusonTO35
07-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks, I've never seen a new one less than $400.00 nor had I ever seen a used one for sale. As soon as it gets back form the gunsmith I'm going to feed it some gas checked 150 grainers. :-)

northmn
07-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Is it a safety or a decocker? The "safety" on Marlins is not a true safety as a hammer block for safe hammer control. If the trigger gets pulled the hammer rests against the bar. Taking off the safety would not permit it to fire.

DP

clodhopper
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I picked up a new one just a few years back. Local sporting good store was movitated to get rid of them so they could sale more ultra, short, expensive, with low magazine capacity magnums.
Shoots pretty good with cast 311-141 and 2400 powder.
Seems like the price, new in what appered to be un opened box, was $266.99

FergusonTO35
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM
The safety on the Mossberg is the same as on the late model Winchester 94's. When engaged, it catches the tail of the hammer, preventing it from going all the way forward. I don't keep it on while hunting but I do engage it when I have to put the rifle down, cross a stream, or any other time when I need the extra protection against an AD.

FergusonTO35
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
My 464 is at at the gunsmith having the broken found band screw fixed. I went ahead and had him also d&t the receiver and install a Williams FP receiver sight. I use this on my Marlin 1894 and had one on my Winchester 94, I find it's the best sight for me in the thick woods where I usually hunt.