PDA

View Full Version : More range and riding time with Zack

Olevern
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Had Z over for some more range time and dirtbike riding time today. He watched F (my grandson) shoot the 9mm Browning Hi Power and decided he might like to try it...he did and there went another box of factory loads. Then he shot the .38 lightweight bodyguard and liked it as well.

I have been trying to encourage him to shoot the M-16 but, until today, Z was afraid of it and I didn't push. Grandson pushed him over the edge...showed him the recoil by shooting it (which I had also done), then told Z "just hold it snug to your shoulder..it won't hurt you"..

Boy didn't believe me but he did believe F...go figure.

He shot the M-16...and shot it ...and shot it. I had to remind him we needed to take turns shooting.

There is now one more person who claims ownership to MY Colt M-16. I guess they can all argue over it after my funeral.

F went through my safes looking for something he hasn't shot yet...found a Winchester model 70 heavy barrel varmint in .223 and shot that. He also found any number of guns I didn't currently have ammo loaded for and was told...."You want to shoot that, you gotta help me load for it".

He asked about my 10 ga. Browning pump and I handed it to him and said "knock yourself out...literally" He decided to leave it for next summer. He also wanted to shoot my two .458's and I nixed that idea....not enough body weight yet (although he's gettin there).

F did shoot my pre-safety .44 mag Marlin lever action with heavy pig loads...said "that thing kicks", but finished his group.

boys rode dirtbikes together, shot together, played video games together while a thunderstorm wailed outside and never a cross or unkind word between them.

Another good day with the boys.

41 mag fan
07-08-2012, 07:22 AM
You interested in adopting a slightly older grandkid? Maybe an "in the 40's" grandkid???

Does Zack call you grandpa yet? If not, he should. You've got a heart of gold for the kids olevern.

Olevern
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
You interested in adopting a slightly older grandkid? Maybe an "in the 40's" grandkid???

Does Zack call you grandpa yet? If not, he should. You've got a heart of gold for the kids olevern.

Thanks, 41 mag fan,
I have always had a heart for kids with much in their lives to overcome. I believe that it is an area of ministry that God has called me to. As for being called grandpa, I wouldn't want to be called that as it would put me in the company of a fellow who spends little time with Zack (barely tolerates him around) and who lives a lifestyle I am trying to influence Zack away from (alcoholic).

Mr. Vern does nicely.

BTW, on the way home from my house yesterday, in the truck (some of my best conversations happen in a moving vehicle, where the boy doesn't have to establish eye contact) Zack made a statement that filled my heart. He said "my life is lots better since I met you, Mr. Vern".

I can't get over to his house every day due to financial constraints (about fifty miles round trip) but most days he calls me and shares what he's been up to. On those days he doesn't call by about 8:00 p.m., I call him. He is at an age and sensitivity where I see an eminetely salvagable boy who can become a man of integrity and a great father.