PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first 200 boolits today!

marklyftogt
07-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Bought the 4-20 pot and lee molds etc. and some lead.
Made up some of the 45/45/10 bullet lube and it looks like chocolate pudding so I guess that is good.

Made my first boolits today (148 gr TL WC)

The first 20 were pretty rough but ended up with 205 keepers out of 226 total.

Time to do some more :)

How long do you guys cure them before you size, lube and load?

bigjason6
07-07-2012, 06:49 PM
It's fun isn't it? I give mine a roll in alox after I cast them and let them sit for about a week. Then I size them, roll them in alox again, dry with a hair dryer, and load em up!

marklyftogt
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Make that 400...haha

Cherokee
07-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Way to go !! I don't TL so no idea there but shooting them should be exciting...

07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I usually size and lube the day after I cast them. First I lube with Lee liquid alox then size, let them cure for about two weeks, then lube with Rooster Jacket bullet film lube, let dry and load.

guidogoose
07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Well the good news with this hobby is if you screw up you can just melt them down again and give it another shot. I lube when my bin on the bench gets low. I once tried to lube a bunch and store them. All I got was a giant mess. I was using a pretty soft lube at the time. Now I only lube as needed. Here's a tip that I learned the hard way. If you tumble lube, make sure to check your seating die and make sure the lube has not collected on the seating stem. I made this mistake and kept getting the bullets pushed down further and further into the case. Its not something you have to worry about with jacketed bullets, if that's what your used to loading, so watch for it! Good luck!