PDA

View Full Version : Heavy boolit, fast powder.

Thompsoncustom
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I've been working on loads for my 173gr 9mm and have had some really good luck with accuracy, this bullet under 3.3 grains of Power pistol I shot a five shot group about the size of a nickel. The only down side to these loads (power pistol and unique) is they all shoot high about 2" inches for the 3.3 PP.

I have not done much with AA#2 under this bullet took about 20 bullets out and the accuracy was all over the place. My thoughts are that if I can push the bullet out of the barrel faster it should bring it down a little sound right? Anyone had any luck with accuracy and a fast powder under a heavy bullet?

geargnasher
07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Heavy boolits + fast powder = high pressure with lower muzzle velocity than with slower powders. My advice is to work up the load with Power Pistol gradually until your POI comes down, staying within published data and doing the common-sense pressure/recoil/brass ejection distance checks of course. You are correct that reducing barrel time will bring POI down, so getting the boolit out of there faster is the goal. Sometimes fast powders do it, sometimes medium powders, sometimes slow powders, it all depends on the velocity that a given burn rate can achieve in your particular "system" and stay within working pressures.

Gear

Thompsoncustom
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks but it can't be done with power pistol I already tired that. I loaded 4.5 gr of PP with a bullet length on 1.175 and they had to be loaded one at a time as the mag did not like them but even with the bullet going ~1000fps in didn't seem to bring it down. If I remember right I believe this load was inaccurate so it's hard to tell if it really came down or not. at 1.145 I can load a full mag but I've got the best accuracy at 1.110 so far. I under stand the pressure increase for the fast power but as long as I stay above minor that will be fine if it hits POA.

noylj
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I know that I am just a voice in the wind, but I see EXTREMELY heavy bullet for cartridges as being an invitation to a KB due to ANY loading error. Then, to compound the seriousness of any error with a very fast powder for the cartridge? Please, let me know where and when you are shooting so I can stay home.
Be very, very careful--you are WAY outside my weight limit of about 135gn for 9x19.
If you must stay on course with this, you can bring up velocity "safer" with a slow powder. Maybe True Blue? Just don't consider N310, Clays, or TiteGroup...

Thompsoncustom
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
You are 100% correct but I like to think I know what i'm doing ;-) a small increase with this powder would increase the pressure quickly but these are all hand loads right now to be on the safer side and it is really heavy for a 9mm but I like to play around with the odd stuff.

KYCaster
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
173 gr. boolit in 9mm you say? :shock:

1000fps and you're still hitting too high? :cry:

How fast do you think you'll need to push it to hit POA?.....1200?.........1300? You're talking about max loads with 130 gr. boolits! :veryconfu

Let us know how that works out for you........or not! :popcorn:

OK......I'm being a bit fecetious, I know.......it's a weakness of mine.

Seriously, what you're trying to do is probably not going to work.

If it does work it probably won't have the effect you desire.

You mention minor power factor, which leads me to believe that you're trying to find the "ultimate" load for action pistol games (USPSA, IDPA, etc.) You're trying to find the load that reduces the felt recoil to the absolute minimum, right?

Well, that ain't all its cracked up to be.

I've been playing those games since 1982 and I've been casting boolits longer than that, so I've been able to create whatever load I thought would be the best at that particular moment. Everything from light and fast to heavy and slow.....I've tried them all.....numerous times.

The one truth I found with all that experimentation is.......none of it made any difference in my scores. Once I learned to control the recoil of the particular load, my scores would be at exactly the level that my ability would allow.

The only thing that would consistently improve my scores was PRACTICE!!

So my advice is......(take it for what it's worth)........find the CHEAPEST load you're comfortable with, load up all the ammo you can afford and go to the range and practice.

And remember.....practice doesn't make perfect........PERFECT practice makes perfect. If you practice poor technique your scores will always be limited by your poor technique. [smilie=s:

Jerry

Thompsoncustom
07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Ya I can't increase the velocity of the bullet anymore as I don't want to increase the pressure anymore. I was thinking that a faster powder would get the bullet out the gun faster even tho the velocity would be much less.

I loaded up 50 rounds today and maybe I'll get out and test them if it's not a 100 degrees here in iowa again. Of the 50 rounds I loaded 5 groups on 10 the first being 2.3gr AA#2 OAL 1.110 the second 2.4gr AA#2 OAL 1.110 third 2.5gr AA#2 OAL 1.125 the forth 2.7gr AA#2 OAL 1.145 and the last is 2.8gr AA#2 OAL 1.145

I'll report back and say if there is any change in POI if the accuracy isn't all over the place.

Echo
07-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Remember - heavy boolits are in the bbl longer than light boolits, and the gun will be further up in recoil when the boolit finally exits. I doubt that faster powder will change the latency period between ignition and exit significantly, and believe you are barking up the wrong tree. But - Good Luck!

Thompsoncustom
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Well went to my little range today all of the ammo tested hit mid target so the faster powder did bring the bullet down and here are the results:

1: 2.3gr AA#2 OAL 1.110 = Fail, was inaccurate.
2: 2.4gr AA#2 OAL 1.110 = Pass, not prefect but good accuracy and POI.
3: 2.5gr AA#2 OAL 1.125 = Fail, was all over the place scored the lowest.
4: 2.7gr AA#2 OAL 1.145 = Pass, Accuracy and POI were prefect on all 10.
5: 2.8gr AA#2 OAL 1.145 =Fail, Had 3 flyers other than that good accuracy.

So all and all today was a great success I'm gonna load some more of the 2.4gr and test them next to the 2.7gr and see how they compare but I would be 100% happy with the 2.7gr as is it bought that big bullet right down and was just as accurate as the power pistol.