PDA

View Full Version : Savage Headspace How to ?

mrbill2
07-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I know how to figure out the headspace when chambering for a action with a shoulder that the barrel comes against. The distance between there and the distance to the bolt face is the headspace measurment. Now with the Savage action with no shoulder in the action for the barrel stop, where do I get the measurement I need for headspace. Looking to chamber for 7.62x 39.

KCSO
07-07-2012, 11:01 AM
The distance between the shoulder of the rimless case and the bolt face is the headspace. The simplest way to do a savage is to put in a go gauge and screw the barrel in till the go gauge is tight against the closed bolt and then tighten the collar. Then take the go out and check with the go and the no go when it's all at the right torque. You willl need the gauges and the right Savage nut wrench and little else.

frankenfab
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
What KCSO said. But if you are asking about cutting a chamber in a barrel, my only guess would be to take a look at an existing barrel in another caliber, stick a cartridge in it, and see how much of the case head sticks out.

leadman
07-15-2012, 01:58 AM
You could put the bolt in the action and measure from the bolt face to the front of the receiverand keep this figure, then measure from the front edge of the bolt to the front of the receiver. Subtract the first figure from the second and this should get you very close.
I don't know if there is a spec for how far away from the barrel the bolt can be but my 110DL has wear marks on the end of the barrel from the bolt face.

Longone
07-15-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been told .010" between the bolt and barrel. I don't recall exactly the case protrusion from the barrel but I believe it is about .120" If you need it I will check a spare barrel.

Longone

dagger dog
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
mrbill2,

Log on to the Brownell's web site and use the technical pages, there is a How TO section on swithching Savage 110 barrels, you can download and print the instructions.You'll need a go no go headspace gauge and the proper barrel nut wrench.

dd

rlb
01-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I measure the depth of the bolt face and give it .002-.003 for clearance from the bolt head to the barrel.