PDA

View Full Version : AA#7 reduced rifle loads or not?

Newtire
04-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a can of AA#7 but no .44 mag I can shoot it out of except for a Ruger Auto rifle that it won't function the action using it.

I was reading that it's burn rate is similar to BlueDot and since I use 8.5 gr. Blue Dot and a Lee 120 grainer in my M-1 carbine (G.I. Style), would it be too far off base to try it with that same load in the M-1 carbine.

Along those lines, might it be OK to use in those reduced loads like I shoot in .30-30 with 10.5 grains Blue Dot and the soup can just substitute AA#7 for the Blue Dot?

I realize there is alot of difference appearance-wise in the 2-powders and I don't quite understand what makes a powder suitable or not to be used in reduced loads as I know that some are NOT suitable to be reduced.

So, sorry for the long post but just wanted to be clear on what it is that I wanted to ask. Hope this is clear enough...??

S.R.Custom
04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
AA#7 is a high density ball powder more suited to the limited capacities of high pressure pistol cartridges like the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm. It doesn't take kindly to "reduced" loads.

shooting on a shoestring
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Flake powders are easier to ignite than ball (one possible exception is Titegroup). Large cases with small charges of powder roaming around inside need the easiest igniting powder possible. If you are dead set on using the AA#7 work up some loads using a filler to hold the powder against the primer. But fillers bring their own complications and I humbly suggest storing the AA#7 for some other future use and stick to Blue Dot or Unique for reduced loads.

Newtire
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I was thinking it might not work or else I would have seen something but as far as small amounts of ball powder roaming around the case, 2400 works great huh? Nevertheless, some of them work but some of them don't I know...Win 296 for example..Oh well, worth a shot. I have enough to feed my .32 mag. forever...