PDA

View Full Version : Stop most 9mm pistol barrel leading

slinger35
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Brownells sells a throating reamer in various calibers that taper the rifling just ahead of the chamber allowing lead bullets to swage into the rifling rather than the rifling cutting into the bullet and leading the bore. Just as with rifles that are throated to allow a certain AOL to be used. Pistols can greatly benefit from this throating when using a consistent diet of lead. It does not affect accuracy in any way. Talk to the technicians at Brownells. They are very knowledgeable about all matters relating to firearms.

44man
07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Brownells sells a throating reamer in various calibers that taper the rifling just ahead of the chamber allowing lead bullets to swage into the rifling rather than the rifling
cutting into the bullet and leading the bore. Just as with rifles that are throated to allow a certain AOL to be used. Pistols can greatly benefit from this throating when using a consistent diet of lead. It does not affect accuracy in any way. Talk to the technicians at Brownells. They are very knowledgeable about all matters relating to firearms.
I never owned a nine but you have some wonderful information here.

plainsman456
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I ask them questions from time to time when my knoggon locks up.
They know a lot about the right tools for most problems as well.

geargnasher
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
THANK YOU!!! I knew they had one to fix the awful lead-shaving step in the throat of some .45 ACPs, but wasn't sure about other calibers. I'll pass that on to another member here struggling with what I believe is the problem that these reamers fix, he's done everything else right with his fitting and loads.

Gear

Shiloh
07-06-2012, 09:43 PM
How much are these things?? Does one need someone with a lathe t do it??

Shiloh

slinger35
07-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Several months back I experienced this same problem in several of my 9mm pistols. I racked my brain and measured boolit diameters and OAL for days until I thought of calling the professionals at Brownells. I got connected to one of their technicians and ask if their throating reamers would solve my problem. "Absolutely" replied the Tech. "That is exactly what they are used for." I ordered one in 9mm somewhere close to $50.00 +/- with shipping. A few days later I put my barrels in the headstock of my lathe and the end of the reamer in the tailstock. Put the lathe to it's slowest RPM. heavily oiled the reamer, fed reamer slowly into chamber of barrel till I could feel the reamer cutting and slowly reamed the rifling until the rifling was opened up to about the same diameter as the front end of the chamber. Blew the chips out, installed the barrels in my guns and took them to my backyard range for a test drive. Problem solved. I would advise the use of a lathe as you don't want to cut a barrel off the centerline of the bore. If the reamer is not held on center it could walk off center and foul up a barrel real bad.

FergusonTO35
07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Fortunately my Rugers eat boolits no problem but my Kel Tec .32 could use the throat opened up a bit. It has no problem with leading but the throat is too tight for the RD boolits.

reloader28
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
We had fits with my brothers 9mm. I wonder if that was the problem.
Tried harder, softer, faster, slower, faster powder, slower powder, bigger dia. Nothing would keep the barrel from leading.

I ordered a PB check maker and fixed the problem. I love that thing.