PDA

View Full Version : Bought a custom ML

oldracer
07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I was looking around and found a gun made by Mr Johnson and since it is in the 50 cal size I like to use AND looked pretty well made decided to give it a try. The rifle is made like some European sporting type of guns in it has no ram rod and a single set trigger AND it uses a 209 shot shell primer. The finish is Ford clear lacquer and is pretty much flawless. There is little inletting which I felt was interesting but the biggest seller was the way it would shoot. The builder said it was zero'd at 50 yds so I was excited! The write up said to use 0.495 balls with linen patches but on the 4th of July when I tried it out all I have are 0.490 balls so I used a tad thicker pillow ticking patch slightly wet. I used cross sticks and the first 3 shots were about an inch apart at 100 yds so I was as happy as a frog on a lily pad! I fired a couple more off hand and the balance was about exactly as my left hand went on the stock. The pull is a tad long so I might have to shorten it as Mr Johnson is a bit over 6 feet and I am a bit shorter. Anyways, I am really happy with my self purchased birthday present.

Oh and he also included a very nice piece of white linen AND and really neat antique straight razor to cut off the patch material!

Tatume
07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Pretty piece of maple!

Hubertus
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Sweet!

OverMax
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Did Mr. Johnson happen to tell you who's barrel He used? Very practical rifle for the Range I'll bet. Stock looks really comfortable for its shooter. At first site I was skeptical. But after looking at it closely a few times to be quite honest >I like it!!< Has form, fit, finish, and excellent function going for it. I'll bet when you push .495's down. Its grouping will tighten up even more. This one's a home-run oldracer. Thanks for sharing.

AR-15 Cowboy
07-06-2012, 11:41 PM
That is a neat looking trigger, is there a special name for that style of trigger, anybody know?

Good Cheer
07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Very nice sir.

stronics
07-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Wow, that is very nice.
David

oldracer
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. The trigger is a single set which means you push it forward to "set" and then use it like a double set trigger. The biggest differences are first off you can not fire the gun unless you set it and second there is about 1/8 inch of free play in the trigger and as soon as that disappears the pull is about 1 ounce. Roger would not tell me who made the barrel but did say it is cryo treated which he has used for a few years and help his guns accuracy.

I agree that getting the 0.495 size round balls will help, but we'll see. As his hand written sheet of info I got with the gun said, it is a sporting gun or range gun or target gun so no ram rod, etc. The balance was exactly where the stock rested on my left hand when shooting off hand so it is extremely well balanced.

OverMax
07-07-2012, 12:34 PM
With the way your rifle shoots old racer. Why would you need to reload while hunting. If you (had) to carry a range rod along that's certainly no big deal. It's a win-win no matter what its intended usage. One thing I would like to ask. I notice a brass plate under its trigger guard. Was it installed for additional forward Guard clearance? Just curious is all.

alrighty
07-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Very neat rifle , Thank you for sharing.

oldracer
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I asked the same question about the brass trim and if you look closely there is some at the butt plate also. It seems to be one of his signature items, along with the no inletting and lacquer finish. I took the gun apart to put a bit of grease in the trigger and lock mechanism and the lower piece could be left off but I think it looks neat.

SamTexas49
07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I find the shape of the buttstcok the most unique feature. I think Ive seen it before but cant recall the term for it. Looks really good though! As for a single set trigger thats interesting you have to "set" it every time to fire. I have a custom style ML, caplock with a single set trigger , but I can fire it set or normal style.

OverMax
07-07-2012, 08:15 PM
SamTexas49 said:I think Ive seen it before but cant recall the term for it Weren't they called "Peach Belly" designed stocks? I could be wrong on this one. But I think I remember seeing one in that Mel Gibson movie >The Patriot. (a young soldier on the front line) if I recall right had one.

oldracer
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
I think Mr Johnson uses that general stock shape on most all the guns he makes? There is a paper patch model for sale now on Gunbroker and on his web site there are others and they seem pretty close. I was told is is based on a German Sporting type of rifle so I tried searching and there were over 1 million hits so I'll just enjoy it! I do not believe I'll bump into another one anytime soon!

Hiwall55
07-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Very,very nice Gun, I think the stock term is Perch belly

Boerrancher
07-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Very,very nice Gun, I think the stock term is Perch belly

I agree it is a very nice gun, and yes it is a Perch Belly stock with a Schnabel fore end. A very traditional German stock design on that rifle. I am sure it will shoot as nice as it looks.

Best wishes,

Joe

Ken B
07-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Real nice!!!!!!!!!!