PDA

View Full Version : Cast. Polite in new guns?

Steel185
07-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm looking at some sub compact CCW options. My research has led me to the newer barrels (Glocks and some XD) aren't designed for them and thus don't recommend them. Does anyone know about the new XDS from Springfield? Can its barrel take cast bullets? I've tried to contact Springfield directly but, you guessed it no response.

bruce drake
07-06-2012, 11:56 AM
If it has cut rifling in the barrel and not polygonal rifling you should have no issues. If it has polygonal rifling, some folks might even say its fine as well. Springfield Armor's website says that the pistol is fine for lead and jacketed bullets so you should be fine if you reload responsibly.

Bruce

Steel185
07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Awesome thanks, I couldnt find we're it says the type of rifling in that barrel. That helps. Thanks

Wayne Smith
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Figure that, until about 120 years ago, everything shot in every barrel was nothing but lead. There has not been a new style of rifling in that time, unless the Russian design (3R?) is. Therefore, every style of rifling used today (with one possible exception) was originally designed to be used with lead.

Steel185
07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Wayne, that's exactly what I thought but the polygonal rifling in the Glocks specifically says lead not recommended. There is a long debate if has any merit. But this is why I was asking. I didn't want to deal with it in the XDS, and I'm glad it's a non issue.

Moonie
07-06-2012, 03:34 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855

I believe this is a sticky, good read on the subject.

slinger35
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Get a throat reamer from Brownells. It taper reams the rifling ahead of the chamber to allow cast bullets to swage into the rifling as opposed to immediate engagement (on firing) as a jacketed boolit can do because of the harder than any lead alloy copper/brass jacket metal.
Solves 99% of leading troubles. Of course gun manufactures don't do this reaming as it is one more step in manufacturing and no doubt there is a liability issue for making a gun that is designed to shoot cast reloaded ammo. Darn slick lawyers.

Keep your powder dry

44man
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I almost never comment on a nine as I do not know them.
However, I feel every gun can shoot lead except those with gas pistons but then some even do that. [smilie=s:
I would shoot the gun with cast.

Cherokee
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
My XDm's 5.25 9mm & 45 ACP love cast bullts. Don't know about the single stacks.

Bad Water Bill
07-07-2012, 01:52 AM
I know my M1 CARBINE has had at least 1 lead pill down the tube. :bigsmyl2:

Couldn't afford to feed her any other way.

DarthTater
07-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I almost never comment on a nine as I do not know them.
However, I feel every gun can shoot lead except those with gas pistons but then some even do that. [smilie=s:
I would shoot the gun with cast.

I shoot lead through my M1 (Garand). I've kept a close eye on the gas system and, so far, so good. Don't have an AR, so I've never tried that.

MBuechle
07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
My XD40 loves lead! It's 90 % of what I shoot in it.

Wayne Smith
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Wayne, that's exactly what I thought but the polygonal rifling in the Glocks specifically says lead not recommended. There is a long debate if has any merit. But this is why I was asking. I didn't want to deal with it in the XDS, and I'm glad it's a non issue.

I shoot lead through my CZ82 polygonal rifling with no problems, no leading, and good accuracy. Remember that no gun manufacturer recommends reloads, much less cast boolits. I have no idea what Mr. Glock thought he knew but he obviously did no research before publishing that particular piece of theory.