PDA

View Full Version : Why can I find a thread on google but not when I search the site?

bearcove
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Example:

Marlin 336 in 35 "LP"?

Found it with google.

Go on site and put in exact title and I get no matches. It has (Archive)-Cast Boolits in title on heading on google.

geargnasher
07-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Because Google has a multi-billion-dollar search engine in an industry where developing software to optimize "hits" means life of death to the company. I use Google to find stuff here all the time.

Gear

mortre
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Instead of using the sites search function I generally type this into google

site:castboolits.gunloads.com what I want to search for

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Bret4207
07-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Because Google has a multi-billion-dollar search engine in an industry where developing software to optimize "hits" means life of death to the company. I use Google to find stuff here all the time.

Gear

DING! And we have a winner!:bigsmyl2:

dpaultx
07-06-2012, 06:33 AM

That's a really great tip mortre. The search function here at CB really is pretty poor.

bearcove
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Thank you from the tech challenged

DCP
07-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you so much. :goodpost:

I just hate it when someone bash people for not using the sites search function

They complain when they ask a Question. Like we are lazy or something.

I rarely can find a answer when I search Cast Boolits. :groner:

This is one their pet peeves. it quit frankly offended me. People who know everything forget they were new once. [smilie=s:

This tool will be fantastic. [smilie=w:

This should be made a sticky. :awesome:

:CastBoolitsisbest:

RBak
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
:oops: DUUU! Now why in the world didn't I think of that?

My clumsy fingers pecking around trying to dig up something outta the archives when I got "a billion dollar search engine" just sitting there idle, geesh!

waksupi
07-07-2012, 06:20 PM
One of my pet peeves is people saying they have searched the site, and can't find info. Especially when the subject they are searching for, is a sticky!

[smilie=b: :lovebooli

DCP
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
The point here is the seach dosent work, more than 3/4 the time.

It is what it is. Maybe I am just Dumb then, if you can get it to work

Try searching colt 45 you get 5000 hits
colt 9mm 648 hits

One of my pet peeves is people saying they have searched the site, and can't find info. Especially when the subject they are searching for, is a sticky!

geargnasher
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Yup, in a sticky, or in three other active thread titles already in progress on the first page of the forum in which the new question is posted.

Gear

L1A1Rocker
07-07-2012, 07:11 PM

I've never had call to use that here but I DO use a similar technique when searching an Classic Audio forum I'm a member of. Their search function is much worse.

Oh, and that technique works for Yahoo search too - I don't use google.

Bret4207
07-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Or when there's a whole section dedicated to the subject with numerous stickies on the exact question they're asking. Anything really important in this game is cover, re covered and re-re covered on this site.

DCP
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Here we go again. Gees

We are given a tool to help us seach because CB search is not the best

Originally Posted by mortre

It's just is what it is.

Then you people start crying again.
They can't find it boys!!!!!!!!!!!

:hijack:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves

DCP
07-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Fishhawk your right on target

Thank you:goodpost:

unfortunately some don't like the search function here remember Willy and ken are not the programmers that made it! Maybe sending idea's and needs to the programmers is the thing to do.

Cap'n Morgan
07-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's a simple way to run a cast boolit search without too much typing & and brain scratching trying to remember the site name:

1) Do a google search for: "site:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/" (without the quotation marks).

2) Bookmark the page.

Now every time you want to do a search, just click the bookmark and add your search word(s) to the end of the search line.