PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Vs the huming bird feeder

Boz330
07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
My wife feeds the humming birds but is having problems with a squirrel climbing the metal pole and chewing the perch off of the bottom. He doesn't do it during the day but after dark or real early in the morning. She has been sitting on the deck with a pellet rifle during the day but he hasn't shown up.

So far the little tree rat has taken out 3 bottoms and does it over night. I was thinking of getting 2 rat traps and drilling holes in them and clamping them around the post. Bait them with peanut butter and he has to get by them to get to the feeder. Any better ideas out there?

Bob

runfiverun
07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
sit out there at night...
you could put up various ropes,and trip wires,and maybe even a claymore and all you'll do is make the squirell have to think a little bit harder.

you'll most likely have to remove the reward.

x101airborne
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Since your pole is vertical, I would try greasing it with crisco or something like that. If that doesn't work, use some piano wire and form some loops that you can attach to the pole. He will try to go through the loops and they cinch tight snaring the animal. 70% of the time it is death for the squirrel, but I guess that is a hazard of being a squirrel. Even if he doesn't die from the snare, you are gonna want to whack him with a stick before handling.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
... ...

Boz330
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Tie a dog or cat to the pole ...

The Rottweiler probably wouldn't even notice as she came back in the house with the feeder and pole attached. And she would off the cat, which is what she usually does to the feral cats in the area. Unfortunately she isn't fast enough for the squirrels so she doesn't try. With the cat population down the squirrels thrive.

My wife has been bringing the feeder in at night but that is kind of a pain.

Bob

PS I do like the Claymore idea, but that would damage the feeder which we were trying to prevent.

L1A1Rocker
07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Have you ever seen those medical funals vets put around animals necks to keep them from chewing on themselves? Try making one of those to put around the pole about mid way up.

fishnbob
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Have you ever seen those medical funals vets put around animals necks to keep them from chewing on themselves? Try making one of those to put around the pole about mid way up.

I tried those on my bird feeders and the tree rats chewed the plastic bracket under the bottom until it slid down the pole. I put a big flat fender washer on the bottom and he had to chew from underneath where the washer was and that stopped that. You can buy those Squirrel Baffolds at the hardware, but you have to modify it to work. My wife was telling me that she saw on TV a clip on bats drinking from those feeders at night. They are able to get their tongue in far enough to drink. I haven't seen a humming bird since that d@mn wind storm on Friday night that took my power out for 4 days.:groner:

GRUMPA
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Now that's an idea with the funnel, you don't happen to have an old metal funnel that you can use by any chance do you? I would say at least 6" dia. would do the trick, just make the hole where the spout is large enough for the pole to slide through and hose clamp it in place, not plastic, I would think thet would just chew it up.

docone31
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Time for the old Twirl a Squirrel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRWbxnGcqUY

Olevern
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Time for the old Twirl a Squirrel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRWbxnGcqUY

Now I don't feed the birds (except the turkeys), but I just might have to have one of them "Twirl a Squirrel" things just for pure entertainment sake! I watched that video three times :-P

Joe504
07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
You sure its a squirrel and not a rat, raccoon or some other night creature? I have squirrel problems in my house, but they never move around at night.

Geraldo
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm with Joe504 in thinking it's not a squirrel. I've seen them eat out of plenty of seed feeders, but I've never seen or heard of one going for a hummingbird feeder.

If it is a rat or squirrel, your rat trap idea has some merit. You could put a bell on the feeder, then sit out in the evening with an appropriate weapon and a light. When you hear your feeder alarm: it's lights on and then lights out. ;)

9.3X62AL
07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Now THAT was some funny stuff! Great way to have a little off-season entertainment for a varmint hunter.

6.5 mike
07-04-2012, 03:38 PM
C Sharps 38-55, [smilie=l:

Boz330
07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
You sure its a squirrel and not a rat, raccoon or some other night creature? I have squirrel problems in my house, but they never move around at night.

SWIMBO is convinced it is a squirrel. I have never seen a squirrel at night either and I suggested it was a coon. There are some battles that are just not worth fighting.

There are definite teeth marks on the feeders that are fairly small. I would think the twirl a squirrel thing would work on a coon as well. Be more fun to watch something during the day for entertainment value though. A 6 pack and a twirl a squirrel would be better than television.

Bob

Longwood
07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
If it is rats, a good way to deal with them is with 3 gallons of water in a five gallon bucket that has a baited teeter totter or roller on the top.

Jailer
07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Put a trail camera up to see what's getting into it.

94Doug
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
electricity comes to mind.......

Longwood
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Another good reason to buy that security camera setup that you have been thinking about getting.
It is getting to be easier and easier to convince the better half that you need them.:bigsmyl2:

contender1
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Nighttime squirrels; Flying squirrels.
I bet that's the problem. Much smaller than the grays too.
Bringing in the feeders at night will teach them that the food is gone & to go somewhere else to feed.
Trim back ANY tree limbs withing 15 ft of the house. It'll help.

41 mag fan
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
If squirrels were out at night, I'd night hunt them when seasons in, it'd be cooler.

We had a feeder, similar type of stand as in picture. It was a coon, getting into it. Went thru 3 feeders before my boy seen it one night. Next night there was no more coon, and one less 22 bullet in the house.

rockrat
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Get some of the plastic sheets that you use to laminate licenses and other stuff. Peel off the backing and wrap it around the pole, sticky side out. Use a piece of tape to hold it to the pole. Leave the laminate about 2-3" in diameter. Should work like fly paper, but this would be squirrel/rat paper.

Critter should be stuck to the paper, but might get loose, but may not go far. Be careful as I suspect it will be in a foul mood.

It might get loose from the laminate, but I'll bet it will remember and stay away.

WARD O
07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I made a squirrel guard for our bluebird house pole from the metal lid to a 5 gallon pail. Knocked a hole in the center that was about a inch in diameter and positioned it on the pole as high as possible using a hose clamp around the pole under it. Now it just sits there acting like a big teeter totter and critters can no longer climb the pole.

ward

gwpercle
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
When it was mentioned that the squirrel was doing it's damage at night the first thing that popped into my head was flying squirrel. They are common around here but seldom seen because of noctornal habits. The only reason I am familar with them is my cousin rescued a litter from a fallen tree and we bottle fed them and they lived in a bird cage. When they got older he hung the bird cage on the front porch. They came and went as they pleased but only at night , slept during the day. They had a wooden box and they would line it with leaves , paper and such, a right cozy nest. They don't get big about the size of a mouse.

I did have a problem with tree squirrels and bird feeder. I tried all the stuff supposed to keep them out ( didn't have that squirrel spinner then ) nothing worked , but I solved it buy getting another feeder.... thats right , a squirrel feeder now that he has his own he mostly leaves the bird seed alone. He's still likes to steal sunflower seeds from the birds when his is gone. Actually I like watching him more than the birds ... I think grey squirrels are the class clowns of the animal world.

flounderman
07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
flying squirrels are nocturnal. regular squirrels are not. a flying squirrel is a lot smaller than a chipmuck. nothing can climb the pipe your feeder is on. I don't know how high off the ground it is but I would guess something standing on the ground is reaching it. put it up higher.

264 Win Mag
07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I have regular seed feeders and the squirrels were getting fat and my blood pressure high. I did a Google search and found all kinds of info. The feeders that sling the squirrel were fun to watch but expensive. The cheaper alternative that works is to get a hose clamp and mount a Slinky. It's fun to watch and very effective.

Thomas

Czech_too
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
I have a couple of feeders on poles that the squirrels have yet to get to, and it's been a few years at least!

My solution was to take a piece of flashing, say 12" square, make a hole in the center of it the size of your pole. Sandwich the flashing in between two smaller pieces of wood, with corresponding holes. Secure the pieces together with some screws. Place this 'barrier' on the pole at the desired height using whatever you have on hand so it won't slide down the pole.

It's worked for me, my squirrels are strictly ground feeders.

Crawdaddy
07-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Get another post, set it in the ground about 10 feet from the other one. Attach a piece of fishing line between the two. Suspend your feeder on the fishing line.

If the critter walks that tight rope, capture him and sell tickets to watch.

Thumbcocker
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Can't help myself, I root for the squirrels.

Longwood
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Can't help myself, I root for the squirrels.

If they are eating Humming bird food, it won't be long until they are too fat to fly.

41 mag fan
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Dont have flying squirrels around here, just the normal tree rats, that come out during the day.

Boz330
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't care if they eat the Hummingbird food, but replacing the bottom section of the feeder everyday gets expensive. Like mice, take a cracker and eat it, don't eat the corner off of the whole pack and then leave your calling cards.:veryconfu
I'm pretty easy to get along with but there are limits.

Bob

gwpercle
07-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Can you set up one of them motion operated cameras to try and find out exactly what kind of critter eats the bottom section of humming bird feeders ? this is getting interesting, except for small flying squirrels and mice/rats what in the world leaves small teeth marks and operates at night ????? gary

Chicken Thief
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Can you set up one of them motion operated cameras to try and find out exactly what kind of critter eats the bottom section of humming bird feeders ? this is getting interesting, except for small flying squirrels and mice/rats what in the world leaves small teeth marks and operates at night ????? gary

Midget bears?:-D

Sensai
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Fly paper

Boz330
07-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Don't have one of those cameras. Might be a good excuse to get one though. SWMBO brings the feeder in every night now. That solved the problem but is a PIA.

Bob

44man
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Dont have flying squirrels around here, just the normal tree rats, that come out during the day.
Yes you do, you will never see them is all. A wonderful little creature.

44man
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I love to eat squirrels but we have many at our feeders. To harm them is so far from my mind I will not hunt close to the house.
We have deer in the yard every day and when I take my dogs out, they do not fear us. We have been 20 yards from them as they feed.
I hunt but I also love my animals. We give easier food to the squirrels. Put out a pan of sunflower seeds for them and they will leave the bird feeders alone more.

Longwood
07-13-2012, 11:49 AM

No tree squirrels including flying ones here but we have three types of ground squirrels.
The biggest one can be a real pain in the keester and was protected for a while.
Except at my house that is.
They have been known to fill mufflers with dry dog food and baffle diagnostic mechanics.The wort we have now is because the Marines brought back thousands of rats from the Kuwait and they have invaded America.
They love to chew on automobile wiring and hoses and cause millions in damage in the area.

44man
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
No tree squirrels including flying ones here but we have three types of ground squirrels.
The biggest one can be a real pain in the keester and was protected for a while.
Except at my house that is.
They have been known to fill mufflers with dry dog food and baffle diagnostic mechanics.The wort we have now is because the Marines brought back thousands of rats from the Kuwait and they have invaded America.
They love to chew on automobile wiring and hoses and cause millions in damage in the area.
OK, I just seen where you live.
My neighbor lady had field mice chew her fuel lines and wiring in her car all the time. hey ruined a whole wire harness. :holysheep

popper
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Make a rat guard (inverted funnel) from galvanized. pop rivet or screw to the pole. Works for the Navy on hawsers.

looseprojectile
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I have a large gray squirrel feeding from the radio flyer wagon that I dump feed for the birds in.
I will buy a squirrel spinner just for the entertainment.
Watching a dizzy squirrel is priceless. I would set up a feeder just for that.

Life is good

AkMike
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
electricity comes to mind.......

X2 !!!
Mmmmm BBQ'd squirrel!

bearcove
07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Put out some rat size sticky traps, wire them to post. Then you will know what it is.

Bored1
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
I vote for a good coat of grease/oil on the pole and rat sticky traps nailed to the ground with some spare roofing nails (the kind with the plastic spacer)

Longwood
07-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Tangle Foot tree protector, or duct tape, wrapped around the pole with the gooey side out.

Chicken Thief
08-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Greased lightning

http://izismile.com/2012/08/03/chipmunk_vs_greased_pole.html

gwpercle
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Boz330 ,

Did you ever discover what critter was eating your hummingbird feeder bottoms at night ? I was just wondering.

gary

mold maker
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I had the same experience. Those little critters have a universal desire,, to get where their not supposed to be.
In a days time they will wear the slick off most any grease.

Boz330
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Boz330 ,

Did you ever discover what critter was eating your hummingbird feeder bottoms at night ? I was just wondering.

gary

No my wife just brings it in at night now. They are lined up first thing in the morning waiting on her though. Need air traffic control out there. There are so many of them and they move around so fast you can't even begin to get a head count.
It still amazes me that the little buggers migrate to Mexico every winter. That is a long trip when you have to stop every 50ft to refuel.

Bob

Longwood
08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I had the same experience. Those little critters have a universal desire,, to get where their not supposed to be.
In a days time they will wear the slick off most any grease.

Tanglefoot stopped everything, including the ants.

Dframe
08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
The trail cam seems like a good idea. If it IS tree rats, the only solution I've ever found truly effictive is my old friend Remington.