PDA

View Full Version : powder measure

chevyiron420
04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
hi folks, i have a question. im thinking of shooting my zouave tomorrow. first time in probably 20 years. i have found my two brass measures but dont know how to read them. the small one, when closed seems to hold about 20 grains when checked on my scale, and open all the way, about 60 grains. the large one reads from 54 to 123 grains. is this how to check them?? they are not marked in any way. thanks--phil

Blammer
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I suspect your small one is for "pan" powder in a flintlock.

the other one, if you polish it off a bit, you may be able to see some hash marks, or at least feel them if you run your fingernail down the side.

I would suspect the hash marks are 10 gr VOLUME increments. Starting at 50 gr and going to 120.

Underclocked
04-28-2007, 09:04 PM
For 2F black powder - you could probably use those weights as volumetric amounts - but only for true black.

If you are shooting a sub the volumetric amount would generally be higher than the weight (BM3 is an exception).

shooter575
04-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Chevyiron, Most of the brass measurers markings are only for reference anyway.As each batch of BP will have a slightly diffrent weight.I would just check any marks to your scale for future refernce.The .58 army cartridge of the C/W was 60 gr musket powder.The loading was later increased to 65 gr.This was with a 500gr minne.My newest keg [cardboard box really]I bought was 7% lighter than batch 2 years earlyer.You just need to adjust a bit.