PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks on the 4th - thanks Gov. LePage

FISH4BUGS
07-04-2012, 07:01 AM
You know, a Republican governor really makes a difference. Maine elected a Republican (after many years of liberal Democrat governors), and in addition to many other changes, Maine allowed fireworks again after some 30 years of being illegal. The liberals are always protecting us from ourselves. Republicans seem to allow us to be who we want to be.
I bought a BUNCH of fireworks in Scarborough ME yesterday, broke the law and brought them across state lines, and shot off half of them last night, and the other half will go tonight. No one got hurt, everyone had fun, and we will do it again tonight. The local police drove by while shooting them off and honked as they went by. (I live in a very small town in rural NH).
What the devil is wrong with liberals anyway? Are their lives so miserable that they want to make ours less happy too?
I don't get it.

darkroommike
07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Housefire in Pelham yesterday injured 9 people, two kids airlifted to the hospital. "Somehow" the whole box of fireworks, stored on the backporch, ignited at the same time.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18947351/2012/07/03/fireworks-cause-pelham-house-fire-children-injured

Fireworks cause death, destruction and fires. In 2010, fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires, including 1,100 total structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 14,100 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 60 civilian injuries and $36 million in direct property damage.

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=297&URL=Safety%20Information/For%20consumers/Holidays/Fireworks&cookie_test=1

Unlike our hobby, many of the people with access to fireworks are irresponsible, thoughtless types with zero training and no consideration of safety for themselves or their neighbors, I used to have a neighbor that lit bottle rockets in his hand and tossed them up launch them towards the sky when I complained he started firing them towards my house. Even if you know what you're doing, do you trust your neighbors, do you trust everyone for 20 miles, in some states one mishap could burn down a thousand acres of brush and timber.

And fireworks are made in China--have a safe Fourth.

RayinNH
07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I think a lot of the mishaps happen because the users are three sheets to the wind when doing so :2 drunk buddies:...Ray

Silver Eagle
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Most of the fireworks mishaps are due to people buying them and not using them in a safe manner. Also, parents buying them and giving them to their kids to light without supervision. These are usually the same people that complain about them when the kids get hurt.

Silver Eagle

FISH4BUGS
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Fireworks cause death, destruction and fires. In 2010, fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires, including 1,100 total structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 14,100 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 60 civilian injuries and $36 million in direct property damage.

Unlike our hobby, many of the people with access to fireworks are irresponsible, thoughtless types with zero training and no consideration of safety for themselves or their neighbors,

...and how many people drown in their back yard pools every year? Do we outlaw pools?
Unlike what the scriptures say, I am NOT my brother's keeper. Just because a tiny minority of people are idiots, that is no reason to punish the rest of us. I really am beginning to believe that conservatives have a better outlook on life than liberals.
If someone blows themselves up with fireworks, that is just nature thinning the herd. It is only a tragedy when innocent people are harmed.
I will read what the cause of this "tragedy" is. Somehow I would think that, as it is said "...police theorize that alcohol may have been involved". We will see.
...and no one makes better fireworks than the Chinese....the inventors of fireworks.

FISH4BUGS
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
"....A preliminary investigation shows a pinwheel firework was active and spinning, spun off its base into the larger collection of unlit fireworks and set those unlit fireworks off all together. "From NECN News.

OK.....carelessness. Using other fireworks too close to a huge pile of fireworks. Unsupervised? irresponsible?
OK.....so tell me why I should not have my own fireworks display because of this moron's actions.

sharps4590
07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Automobiles should be severely restricted. The irresponsible use of them kills too many. I don't trust the drunk driver at the next blind corner to be on his side of the road, let alone my alcoholic neighbor being in control of his when he goes to town to get more beer when he runs out.

It isn't a perfect world. Responsibility can't be legislated any more than equality and morality. So, let's take the freedom from everyone to protect those that should probably be removed from the gene pool anyway. Gee....that sounds a lot like gun control.....

popper
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
many of the people with access to fireworks are irresponsible Many people with access to lots of stuff are irresponsible!. Went to a 4th show last nite. Only half of the audience stood when the National Anthem was played. A bunch of sissy's who whine when they don't get what they want. Turn your back on God and he'll let you do things your way - and suffer the consequences.

41 mag fan
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I used to have a neighbor that lit bottle rockets in his hand and tossed them up launch them towards the sky when I complained he started firing them towards my house. Even if you know what you're doing, do you trust your neighbors, do you trust everyone for 20 miles, in some states one mishap could burn down a thousand acres of brush and timber.

I used to have a neighbor 15-16yrs ago that would do the same thing. I'd find bottle rockets and other stuff in my yard from June thru the end of July. Several times asking to shoot them the other way for a couple of yrs did no good.
So I did my own fireworks, right about dusk, right around midnight and sometimes early in the morning, like 4-5 am.

They used to sell here what they called crow killers. Big firecrackers actually. About the size of a golf ball.
I lit one one off and everyone in a 2 block radius came out of their houses thinking it was something that blew up.
His window was about 250' from my backyard across the alley.
After about a week, of setting off 2-3 a day, he finally asked me if I'd stop setting them off.
So I told him...you shoot your rockets and other stuff away from my yard, I'll stop.
never had another problem from then on.
Guess from what he said, it scared the h*ll out of him, when they went off at midnight and 4 and 5am. Between the boom and his windows rattling in his trailer, it kept him up.
Ohh well, what comes around goes around.
Of course I had to appologize to the other neighbors, but they understood, they were having the same problems with the guy also.

I'm glad though, he quit. those crow killers were costing me $6 a pop.

captaint
07-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Liberals have decided they may tell the rest of us how to live becaure they are more enlightened than the rest of us. I work in a school system and believe me - education and knowledge and common sense are mutually exclusive. Higher education can't make someone with little common sense smart. Doesn't work. Doesn't happen. Idiots are idiots. Some of us just think they deserve to make the rules - their way. And don't even get me started on Ivy League schools.
Now, go burn up some great fireworks, safely, and have a great Independence Day. Mike

Bad Water Bill
07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Since the population of this country now is at over 300 million there are bound to be some people that do stupid things. Years ago you were allowed to learn from your mistakes.

If I fell off of a bike I figured out what I did wrong (picked up a few scratches and bruises) and went on with life.

If I played with fireworks (parents knew what their children possessed in those days because they took the time) In the earlier years they were small stuff and as I grew older bigger bangs happened.

Today I can not recognize my neighbors kids on a bike. Knee pads ,shin pads ,full face helmet,elbow pads,gloves. These kids have more protective stuff than a football player. Getting a scratch means a rush to the EMERGENCY ROOM. What ever happened to learning that a wash cloth and some soapy water could do the same job sooner and did not cost mom and dad any money.

Today we have a media that (thanks to computers ) can keep track of how many ants have crossed the road in front of your house. Can or will they say that as the population has increased we as a whole have learned safety . That would not make money for them.

We as members of the gun fraternity should be more aware of how the media does twist figures to their agenda.

"Fireworks cause death, destruction and fires. In 2010, fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires, including 1,100 total structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 14,100 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 60 civilian injuries and $36 million in direct property damage."

Fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires. Estimated? Either they did or they did NOT. Give us the REAL figure on how many fireworks were manufactured and used in the same period of time? And by the way we still make a lot of fireworks here in the U S A .

300 vehicle fires. Talk about nit picking. With how many HUNDRED MILLION cars on the road today and ONLY 300? What are the odds?

8 ESTIMATED deaths and 60 injuries. It is sad when anyone dies or is injured BUT how many folks slipped in the bathtub yesterday and died or were injured? Should we ban bathtubs?

If you are allowed to pick and choose your figures you can make tooth picks a dangerous item also.

I am not saying fireworks are the safest item on the market today. But common sense should be applied when handling them and sad to say we are loosing more of that every day as we pass laws to keep us from getting a scratch.

Silver Eagle
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
This is the result of a Reactive Society. One cannot make the parents teach their children the difference between right and wrong (Especially when he parents themselves do not know or care about the difference).
So, the lawmakers make laws that say if you do something bad, you will get punished. The same lawmakers regulate everything that is made and allow people to get millions for doing something that they should have known not to do in the first place.

I had best stop here before this thread gets moved to "The Pit".

Silver Eagle

missionary5155
07-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Good morning
When our state finally takes a hard line on drunk drivers to include all the death and destruction they cause I am willing to consider seriously other "makes me safer" laws and restrictions that have been enacted for my personal well being.
Then how about those driving/texters... one near killed the head man of Freedom Riders here in Danville two weeks back... she never even stopped to see how badly he was injured.
I have been back 4 weeks and already Peru makes a whole lot more sense than the Land of Lincoln !
Mike in ILL.

MBTcustom
07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I personally, dont want anybody regulating what I do on my property. Your name is not on the deed, you do nothing to help me pay the bills (which I'm fine with, thank you very much) so back off!
This holiday is about celebrating freedom. The freedom to live as a free man to make it or fail on your own bowing to no one except God Almighty. What we are celebrating is much more important than the issues being brought up in this thread. Had some of these lawmakers been given the opertunity to travel back in time, they would have prevented the forfathers from fighting and dying for our freedoms which would insure that those freedoms never came to be in the first place. America is a dangerous place. Any time you are free to make your own choices it is a dangerous proposition because you may make the wrong decision and have to learn from it. Yes that is a dangerous way of thinking, but that is exactly the principle this country was based upon. When you are given total freedom to make your own decisions and punished or rewarded based upon the soundness of those decisions it makes you a responsible member of society. If you are insulated from the rewards and/or the punishment for your free decisions, it makes you a tick, a user, a parasite, a dependent, and safe.
Long live the original America and the freeedoms that were once a reality for all to enjoy!
and, if I may say this to all of you boolit brothers, A very sincere happy 4th of July to each and every one of you! I hope you all get full on beer and BBQ and have a good time with your folks.

darkroommike
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Sounds like the two LITTLE ones are not doing well. An 8 month old girl and a two year old boy. I don't think either of them was shooting off fireworks.

And what if your neighbor was doing his thing in his back yard and burned down your house? The difference here is this issue causes MASS destruction and huge damage. Some major forest fires have been caused by fireworks. And will the fire he starts respect your "No Trespassing" sign?

But, if it's legal, send some of your dollars to China. The fireworks made in the USA are the big aerial displays used by the pros, the stuff your drunk neighbor shoots off was made in China. I'll be inside watching 1776 and Yankee Doodle Dandy, my belly full of BBQ.

Bad Water Bill
07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Where is the IGNORE BUTTON?

wgr
07-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I used to have a neighbor 15-16yrs ago that would do the same thing. I'd find bottle rockets and other stuff in my yard from June thru the end of July. Several times asking to shoot them the other way for a couple of yrs did no good.
So I did my own fireworks, right about dusk, right around midnight and sometimes early in the morning, like 4-5 am.

They used to sell here what they called crow killers. Big firecrackers actually. About the size of a golf ball.
I lit one one off and everyone in a 2 block radius came out of their houses thinking it was something that blew up.
His window was about 250' from my backyard across the alley.
After about a week, of setting off 2-3 a day, he finally asked me if I'd stop setting them off.
So I told him...you shoot your rockets and other stuff away from my yard, I'll stop.
never had another problem from then on.
Guess from what he said, it scared the h*ll out of him, when they went off at midnight and 4 and 5am. Between the boom and his windows rattling in his trailer, it kept him up.
Ohh well, what comes around goes around.
Of course I had to appologize to the other neighbors, but they understood, they were having the same problems with the guy also.

I'm glad though, he quit. those crow killers were costing me $6 a pop.
now i like that

wgr
07-05-2012, 01:20 AM
I personally, dont want anybody regulating what I do on my property. Your name is not on the deed, you do nothing to help me pay the bills (which I'm fine with, thank you very much) so back off!
This holiday is about celebrating freedom. The freedom to live as a free man to make it or fail on your own bowing to no one except God Almighty. What we are celebrating is much more important than the issues being brought up in this thread. Had some of these lawmakers been given the opertunity to travel back in time, they would have prevented the forfathers from fighting and dying for our freedoms which would insure that those freedoms never came to be in the first place. America is a dangerous place. Any time you are free to make your own choices it is a dangerous proposition because you may make the wrong decision and have to learn from it. Yes that is a dangerous way of thinking, but that is exactly the principle this country was based upon. When you are given total freedom to make your own decisions and punished or rewarded based upon the soundness of those decisions it makes you a responsible member of society. If you are insulated from the rewards and/or the punishment for your free decisions, it makes you a tick, a user, a parasite, a dependent, and safe.
Long live the original America and the freeedoms that were once a reality for all to enjoy!
and, if I may say this to all of you boolit brothers, A very sincere happy 4th of July to each and every one of you! I hope you all get full on beer and BBQ and have a good time with your folks.

and that sir is the way it should be. accountable for your actions right are wrong.

snuffy
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I, for one, am tired of the nanny state protecting me from myself. I'm perfectly capable of deciding what risk I want to take, then be responsible for bad outcomes.

I've done some really stupid stuff that at times turned out bad. I didn't look for someone to sue, just bucked it up and went on with a valuable lesson. Fortunately, I still have all my digits and nine out of ten work the way they should.

Making fun illegal is being a spoilsport, while diminishing the celebration of patriotism. If the instructions are followed, most fireworks are quite safe.