PDA

View Full Version : Making expander plug larger

popper
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Accidentally made some 30:1 for 40SW. Picked up a bar of pure instead of #2. The case resizes then, they still shoot OK, accurate and no leading. I wanted to increase the expander plug from .397 to ~ .400. I dipped in Minwax spar varnish (acryllic urethane) a couple times and get a hard finish @ .4005. Now as cast @ .403 gets sized about .401 which is what I want. Coating looks OK after 50 cases, I'll see how long it lasts, sand down and re-coat when needed.

Shiloh
07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm surprized you got 50 cases out of your experiment. The good thing it that it can be easily redone.

Shiloh

popper
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Got a bucket full of 99/1 40's to shoot - too hot to recast. Possibly just a short term fix, but seems to work for now.

trk
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
When I setup to do cast in a particular caliber I usually turn 3 or 4 two diameter expanders.

Having several allows me to use sized or unsized bullets (several moulds) and to accomodate different brands of brass.

First setup is to turn to a diameter that will allow a sized case when expanded to it to allow a sliding fit of the bullet to be used (sized or not sized - as it is going to be used). Then I'll turn down the most of it a couple of thousandths smaller to provide that much tension from the brass when the bullet is seated.

I have found some bullets that are just a thousandths or two too big to allow the seated bullet/cartrige to chamber. Then it's size down a whisker and use a slightly smaller two-step expander.

Yes, it's a pain, but it makes loading EASY and helps in accuracy.

popper
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't have a lathe (wish I did) or equipment to make new plugs. This will let me adjust and find what I need, which I can then get made by someone.