PDA

View Full Version : Cast in the 444 marlin exploring surplus powders?

BOOM BOOM
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
HI,
BEFORE I ONCE AGAIN ENTER THE "DARK TERRITORIES", beyond the cookbook manuals, I thought others may have done some path-finding research.
So has anyone of you shot the 444 marlin lever action with surplus powders?
Bullet weights around 250gr., 265 gr., 270 gr., 310gr., 325gr.

Comments on big game effects would be very welcome.

Velocities & pressures would be nice too.

As a wildcatter & reloader since the 1969, I DO UNDERSTAND the safety precautions.
SO PLEASE DO NOT CLUTTER UP THIS THREAD WITH INSULTING COMMENTS TO THE SENIOR MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM.
Some of our advanced reloaders & wildcaters have stopped posting due to this. This has been a great loss.:Fire::Fire:

felix
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I have no direct experience with this cartridge, but if I were starting out with it from scratch having the boolits and powders you currently have, I would choose the BLC surplus 846. I would load 50 grains up front with each boolit, taking one at a time, starting with the lightest one first. One shot. If powder not burning properly, increase charge 2 grains at a time. When case becomes full (never compress) and there is still unburnt powder and/or accuracy poor, start the process over with the next heavier boolit. After all boolits are exhausted, choose the next faster powder and repeat. ... felix

BOOM BOOM
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
HI,
THANKS FELIX.
At the start of this project I posted here in an effort to gather as much info as I could BEFORE starting into "DARK TERRITORIES".
As the most interest & response has been the LEVERGUN FORUM in the thread SURPLUS POWDERS IN THE 444 MARLIN I am combining all threads into it.
:Fire::Fire: