PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old loading shotshells

JeffinNZ
07-01-2012, 01:27 AM
So, I'm in the garage this evening setting up my shot maker and Abby (the rabbit porter in my avatar) says she wants to load some "bullets". I knew she meant shotshells as she had seen me doing it last weekend.

We went to my press and I showed her how to put the hull in stage one of the press and she pulled the handle down and sized/deprimed the hull. I explained the primers in the tray go 'upside down' in the press and she placed the primer, moved the hull to stage two and primed it. I charged the case with GOEX BP and then we seated wads and threw shot. Abby moved it to stage for precrimp then 5 for crimp and she was done. The next round she knew where it all when and in which order. Two rounds loaded. She took them inside to show mum.

I'm so proud.....:-P[smilie=l:

slide
07-01-2012, 06:51 AM
That is so cool!!

Olevern
07-01-2012, 07:54 AM
now if you can just keep her in the loading room long enough to maintain your shooting habit....:wink:

WRideout
07-01-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm not going to reveal my age, but the oldest of my three daughters is thirty-one. Last time I visited my girls for a weekend in Knoxville, TN, I asked what they wanted to do. The agreed that one day should be shooting, and the next fishing! I was proud that they had followed in my footsteps. I showed my oldest how to cast Boolits when she was six or seven, and that remains one of her fondest memories. I took my youngest squirrel hunting when she was about five, but it is impossible to get a child that young to be quiet in the woods so we ended up going for ice cream.

Wayne

LIMPINGJ
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
WRideout the only way I found to keep one quite was get up early and go sit in a deer blind. Be sure to take their blanket or sleeping bag for them to curl up in when they get cold. Should be asleep and quite in a few minuets.

swheeler
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Good for you Jeff, get them started young! My twins started loading shotshells at age 9 under my supervision.

Vinne
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
My daughter LOVED to help daddy "make bullets" and shot. We spent some great times in the loading room. Enjoy it while it last Jeff, they grow up before your eyes and, with kids of their own, don't have time any more.

Ken B
07-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Real Cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapdoor
07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I realize that this might sound like attempted suicide, but back in my old N-SSA skirmish days my son was helping my wife put my musket rounds together by age three. He was measuring the powder charges. It is truely amazing what they are capable of if supervised at a young age. My grandson, now four, is running brass through the case trimmer and full length sizing brass with me. Not quite sure if I'm ready to start loading cases yet, as I single stage most rounds. Either way, if care and supervision are emphisized we are creating a future batch of sportsman with memories that will last not only our lifetime, but theirs as well.

Doughty
07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Hey, since this is a cast boolit forum, I've got to brag that my grandsons, 4 and 2, like to help me lube sze boolits. And they both like to think they're making the progressive loader go. The 4 year old shot his first centerfire cast boolit two weeks ago. His Nana's Marlin .30-30 with a cast boolit and a light charge in it. Got his pine cone on his second shot.

41 mag fan
07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Getting ready to show my daughter how to reload. She for awhile was pushing her boyfriend into learning, but I could see it was her wanting to learn.
I had loaned him my lyman manual to read on how to reload several months back.

I could see though it was her wanting to learn, but for her to spend one on one with me and learn meant no BF around, or she'd push him up front and her sit in the background watching.

So I told her yesterday i wanted to load her up some 38sp loads, but I wanted her to do it. I wanted her to come over and learn how not her BF, just her.
She told me she had read the manual I'd loaned them, I told her I know, she's to much like me.
So thru her my love of guns and shooting and casting and reloading will live. Both my kids love to hunt and fish, but my boys not much into guns ....yet. he's to busy chasing his tail at age 20, whereas my daughters more settled down

jcameron996
07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
I have three little girls ages 2, 4 and 6. They all love to hang out with dad in the reloading room. They come in and want to help. Sometimes its a challenge to find things for them to do, but I love having them there and interested. The other day my four year old had a great time putting cases back into the box as I took them out of the tumber. I recently bought them a youth model .22 to start teaching them how to shoot. The older two are doing great, the youngest just likes to hear it pop and say "holy cow." My wife and I are planning on taking them deer hunting this fall during muzzle loader season. I can hardly wait.

ErikO
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
My son gets mad when I decap brass as that is 'his job'. :)

He's going to get a Red Ryder this Christmas for sure.