PDA

View Full Version : Commercial bbswc

tommag
04-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Playing around with my .357 this am with some Meister swcbb 158 gr. I haven't a mold for it yet, waiting on the 175 Keith group buy. I was loading with H.Univ.clays, from 4.5-6 grs. Terrible velocity spreads and lots of leading at the rear of the bbl.
I'm thinking that this is a characteristic of bb boolits, am I wrong? Maybe these need to go in the pot when I get my new mold? Maybe a slower powder would help, more pressure, more slugging-up?
For comparisons sake, I fired some Win 110 gr jhp and groups shrank 60%. Still not good, but I never have been that good with a hand-gun.

454PB
04-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't think you can blame it on the bb boolits until you are sure of the fit. Most commercial cast boolits are very hard, and usually sized "standard". Assuming these Meisters are .357" or .358" diameter, you need to know what your gun measures for throat and bore diameter.

tommag
04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess I answered my question while posting. Went back out to the shop and loaded some W296. Leading went away, groups shrank smaller than with jhp's.
The Meisters were .357 and as best as I can determine, my bbl is .356. I don't have hardness tester, but I can't scratch 'em with my fingernail.
I'm encouraged. Maybe I can hit the "broad side of a barn"(if I'm shooting from the inside):-D :-D