PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments at the range today

oldracer
06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I took the Lehigh and Hawken to the range for a few rounds and lordy it was hot and windy! The side wind gave me some good practice reading the wind and those 50 cal round balls seemed to do okay in the 25 or so gusts. There were a family next to me and the first comment after touching off the 1st round was "dammmm that sure smells great". The 3 guys were all shooting ARs and having trouble seeing where they hit at 100 yds but were trying hard! After about 5 shots with the Hawken, the dad said "wow I don't even need a scope to see those holes" and I said yep, that's why I shoot them. About that time the scope fell off one of the ARs so I helped them re-install it after reminding them to unload the gun. I asked about a scope mounting kit and they never heard of them so I dug into my Fat-Max range box and for some reason still have my scope tools so we pulled off the rings and then tried to alignment. Whoa, the rings were twisted some and we got them straightened so the points lined up and then set the gun on a rest and leveled the scope and tightened all screws well. Took about 4 shots and he was doing center shots at 100 yds so that was my good dead for the week I guess. We have a gun show coming up so they said they will be buying some tools and other stuff which will make them happier I think.

Boerrancher
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Good on you for lending a helping hand. More and more people are waking up to the current political and economic climate and are arming themselves. It is up to those of us who are a part of the gun culture to pass on our knowledge to those who are just starting out. I am thankful that my father had the where with all to see to it that I knew and understood how to field strip and maintain each firearm that I was able to use, and as I got older how to repair, make, and replace parts if need be.

Best wishes,

Joe

AR-15 Cowboy
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
It's always good to learn from an experienced shooter some tricks of the trade. And watching you do it sets the lesson deeply.

smokeywolf
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
oldracer,

What you did for those folks was something we used to call common courtesy; today it is so very uncommon. Nowadays common courtesy has been replaced with political correctness, which may sound good, but does absolutely nothing for a neighbor in need.
The men and women who carried and relied on the original Lehigh and Hawken rifles were a lot more concerned with helping and getting help from each other than how they were classified by society.
I'm hearing my mother's words echoing in my head, "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated".

smokeywolf