PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger

tomme boy
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I have been having problems with a few fingers locking up. Friday I am supposed to go to see about getting some cortisone shots. Anyone here have this an what was done for it besides the shot?

I have already tried antimflamitory drugs an hand stretching. It has just got worse.

geargnasher
06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Are you diabetic?

Gear

tomme boy
06-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes I am.

wgr
06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
yes i have that problem. had to get a shot in my hand to help it. need to go back. what causes it is not in the fingers ,its in your hand at the base of the fingers. do you use your hand to were it takes sharp blows to the palm . thats what does mine i use a shorter alot . hope this helps
hope this helps bill

scarry scarney
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
My wife suffered trigger finger. "Minor" outpatient surgery took care of it. Small 1/2 inch long scar. She goes in on Monday for the other hand. Last time, total three weeks out of work. Two weeks of it was rehab.

tomme boy
06-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I have been a maintenance mechanic an industrial construction electrician most of my working life. I have a hard time sometimes doing anything. I have been out of work for a while trying to get my health back to were I can work again.

leadman
06-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I have had 3 trigger finger release surgeries. What causes it is scar tissue formed on the tendon the runs the length of the finger. There are other tendons in the palm of your hand that run 90' to the finger tendon. These help keep the finger tendon against the rest of your hand. The build up of scar tissue gets caught on one side of the hand tendon. The surgery cuts the hand tendon. There are several different methods my hand doctor told me to do this surgery.
The good news is this is a quick surgery, half hour or so. If you do manual work with your hands you probably will be off work for a bit. I could usually do most things in 3 or 4 weeks.

Shots may or may not work, but they are not very invasive so worth a shot! Pun intended.

Moonie
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Any phantom pain and or numbness? I had issues with diabetic neuropathy that sounds similar. I was able to reverse it by sticking to a strict low car diet and strict usage of my glucose meter.

06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I lived with it for years without shots. It's progressed to the point where it locks up more easily and more often, and surgery may not be too far off.

tomme boy
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Well I just had them about half an hour ago. We will see. They did the worst one first. The needle wasn't too bad. The stuff filling the joint felt like my finger was going to explode.

EDK
06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Diabetes causes a lot of symptoms. I got diagnosed as Type 2...so far I'm checking my blood sugar daily...run from 90 to 110 first thing in the morning; it depends on how well I ate the day before.

Carpal tunnel caused my right hand to lock up...kinda like hitting your "crazy bone," but for no apparent reason. I got it fixed about 10 years ago and it is starting to come back. My left has very minor symptons even though I shoot equal amounts of pistol with each hand for Cowboy Action Shooting. Way back when, I got to the point my left was better than my right...and that's when I went to investigate the carpal tunnel surgery.

Good luck and thanks for sharing

:redneck::cbpour: