PDA

View Full Version : Cast, Size and lube the same day?

454gene
06-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Getting ready to cast some 45's with a Mihec H&G 68 for some shooting from 25 yds in my Les Baer wadgun.
Last session I WD the boolits but the dia. was closer to .453 and they required more force to size and lube than the few boolits that I dropped on a towel.
Can I cast, size and lube in one day then shoot them after aging for a few days?

btroj
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Do whatever works for you. There are no rules to this stuff.
I usually don't cast and size in the same day purely froma time standpoint.

Don't oer think it.

MtGun44
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
No reason to WD boolits for .45 ACP. Save your arm and the wear and tear on the
lubrisizer.

Bill

Beau Cassidy
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
The alloy will take a few days to stabilize on hardness. I never plan on sizing the same day as casting but it makes since to because that is when the bullets are the softest. I usually dont shoot them for a few weeks at the minimum because of time.

MGySgt
06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
FWIW

The few times I have WD I noticed that the .476 boolits were darn near impossible to size after sitting for a few days.

When I water drop I try and size and lube within 24-36 hours.

The harder the boolit the more spring back you get when you size a boolit.

1Shirt
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
No magic rules here. I usually try to cast/size/lube on same day, or the next day for sure. However, a lot depends on what the mold drops and what dia. I need. If the mold drops a couple of thous or more over what I need or want, I definately want to size the same day. If on the other hand, the blt drops so close to what I need/want, and it is not so much a matter of sizing as it is or checking/lubing, I don't care when down the road I process.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Bigslug
06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
To me, the extra force it might take to size a slightly harder bullet would be small potatoes compared to how freakin' exhausted I would be trying to both cast and size in one sitting. Odds are, once cast, it's going to be at least days and possibly multiple weekends hence before anything else gets done with them.

bobthenailer
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I always cast /size & lube in the same day usually right after casting or after a short break ! i water drop my bullets right from the mould into a 7 gallon bucket of room temp water , I usually only cast bullets for a hour or so max actual casting time and spend another hour or so lube/sizing them , there alot easyier to size right after casting. when im done i have 700 to 1300 bullets ready to go depending on weither i use a 4 or 8 cavity mould when casting.
I usually only cast bullets in febuary when things are slow ! this febuary i cast /sized & lubed a little over 20,000 bullets in a month
As ive gotten older , ive found that i cant do the marthon casting sessions i once did and it helps the aches & paines to split up the process. + after 3 to 4 hours ive had enough of that for the day im almost up to 1/2 million cast bullets made in 43 years