PDA

View Full Version : The traveling vietnam wall

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I was at Cabelas in Hammond, In. last night and learned that the wall will be at their store on Tuesday for 1 hour from 9AM till 10AM then moving on to Purdue University North Central 1401 S US HWY 421 Westville, In From July 3 at 7PM till July 7 at 11 Am.

Here is more info on the wall at Purdue

http://www.avtt.org/...estvillein.html

I can not remember THE WALL being in our area in the last 10 years.

Here is a chance to say THANK YOU to our vets.

popper
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Where our governors make our license plates So, where is that, Leavenworth? That is a cool memorial, saw the real one years ago. WWI mall in KC is cool too.

clintsfolly
06-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Saw the mobile one yrs ago and it is very moving !!! Thanks to all the vets!!! Clint

EDK
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Saw the mobile one yrs ago and it is very moving !!! Thanks to all the vets!!! Clint

I waited some years to see it. Some guys I went to school with...and more that passed through the emergency room of the 27th Surgical Hospital (Chu Lai '69) where I worked. It was surprising that the names were familiar after all those years.

God bless their families...they are not forgotten by their friends and comrades.

06-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I've seen it twice, both of which were very moving experiences. The first time, I was only able to allow myself to get no nearer than about 50-yards. The second time, a few years later, my wife was along for support and we walked along its entire length, but the emotions were still very high.

The original is high on my to-see list.

paul h
06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
In 8th grade we had a school trip to Washington DC, over Memorial day weekend. It just happened to the year that the wall was introduced. Even as a kid I found the monument very moving, and seeing soldiers remembering their comrades brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

DCP
07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Bill

You now have 6

The WALL is very hard for me,

Rest in peace Bob- you gave all

Thank you just doesnt seem enough

jcwit
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Fully plan to visit on Thursday. Have never seen it. Hope I can handle it.

Goatwhiskers
07-01-2012, 05:48 PM
It is a very moving experience whether you were there or not. I was "fortunate" that I was refused for health reasons back in '66 when you went to Ft. Polk, then straight to the jungle. I do have a number of close friends, mostly former Marines, who were there, and I like to feel that I understand as well as anyone can who wasn't there. I salute all who served, we owe a greater debt than this country can ever pay. GW

jcwit
07-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I did not go to V/N, duty station was The Pentagon, HQ DASA, however I watched as all but 5 of my training company at fort Dix were loaded on a plane at McGuire AFB and flew to Alaska then to V/N. Never forget that day.

Duty was good in D.C. lived in cilivan quarters, and endured the peaceniks. Missed the dumball who burned himself in the Pentagon steps by maybe 5 minutes, was on my way home, had the afternoon off.

Here's hoping Thursday isn't so hot.

shdwlkr
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Bill
Years ago it was in the city where I was working and I wasn't going to go see it. I have few individuals on it I know one is a family member. Friends that were also vets dragged me over to where the wall was and yes the folks there looked at them kind of funny until they asked me if anyone was on the wall that I knew. One lady took me to each name and as we passed each name it got worse for me and she realized just how personal all this was and asked me if I was ever in and I told her 69-77 and she totally understood why it was so emotional to me.

The really sad thing is that those two veterans that took me to the wall are dead now one took his own life and the other was killed over $5 dollars as he went homeless just a short time after we went to the wall.

Now I am in college learning to be a mental health counselor and hope to do some good for our veterans with issues.

Tom-ADC
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Wall was here few years back, I had already checked to see what panels our crews were on, a very moving experience. There is also a miniature wall in Pensocola FL.
Do plan on visiting the actual wall someday.

07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
"Now I am in college learning to be a mental health counselor and hope to do some good for our veterans with issues."

Very commendable, shdwlkr, as so many of today's veterans are experiencing traumatic stress related mental health problems. I know the V. A. is doing all it can to give them the care and treatment they require and deserve, and the American Legion and other veteran-related organizations continue to hound Washington, for the necessary funding.

shdwlkr
07-01-2012, 08:33 PM
The VA expected 50,000 mental health issue cases out of this last war and got 300,000 and the number is growing very fast as all the other wars veterans are also running into mental health issues.
The VA has done some not so good things for some veterans also and that is sad. Some veterans that need help will not go anywhere near anything that is similar to the military. Me I am just an old guy who wants to help and hope that I can be a real source of help to those who paid such a high price for our country.

Right now PTSD, mTBI and TBI cases are so high I wonder if we will ever see them level off. I dear friend here son is a new mTBI case and is still in the sand box doing his job.

07-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I know the V. A. needs proding from outside sources, such as the American Legion regarding Agent Orange, for instance. However, for a governmental agency, they do a pretty good job, compared to other federal agencies. Funding is a continual problem, and the reason why I had to persistant in getting hearing tests, and eventually a disability rating and hearing aids. My eye glasses experience was a nightmare, but the problem was not that of the V. A., rather is was solely with their outside contractor's local representative.

In my limited dealings with the local clinic, the doctors have been very caring and understandable, and the office staff have been exceptionally personable and helpful. However, that has not been the experience of a good buddy and fellow crew member, who refuses to have any more dealings with them, though he has an Agent Orange related disability.

Bullet Caster
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
The portable Wall was here in eastern Tennessee a few years back and I went and saw it briefly. I was with Charley Hodge, Elvis's friend, and Charley died not long after we spent the day together at the Air Force museum. I didn't spend much time at the Wall.

I've been to the one in Washington, DC, and was very moved to tears as I traced out my squadron members names who were KIA.

Capt. David B. Willliams, rest in peace and know that your pilot that day, May 3, 1972, was finally returned to the US, and Cmdr. Dunlop, CAG-15, USS Coral Sea, I am glad you finally made it home. God rest your souls. BC - Viet Nam '71-'72 USMC

shdwlkr
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Did any of you notice that when the PRes was there this year that no veterans were allowed near the wall?

I have not yet been to the wall in DC may never get there as that place is the Devils play ground anymore. I know of a few veterans that have been there and yes it is a very spiritual place if you know anything about God and his mercies you know he walks with everyone of those whose names are on that wall and so many tombstones across the world that died fighting for freedom.

Have any of you noticed that since Congress got into the war business America has never won a war we got into? War is best left to those who know the price it costs and also how to win not some political hack that thinks he knows how we should do things.
The sad truth is if you want to win a war you have to make it more painful for the enemy to keep fighting than it is for you to keep fighting.