PDA

View Full Version : Fires in Colorado

rockrat
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
First of all, say a few prayers for the firefighters here, working in the extreme heat and tough terrain, for their health and safety.

It really has been tough on the people over by Ft. Collins. My sister lives right East of there and has had ash raining down on her, off an on. for days. A friend of hers was lucky, there was a large sandstone outcropping West of her house and the fire stopped there. The firefighters were able to get the smaller flames trying to do an end around the outcropping and saved her house/barn.

Now, there is the large fire by Colorado Springs that is threatening many houses. CS, I believe they said was a town of 600,000+ and I saw on TV last night that there were evacuation orders for 32,000 people. The way the fire was going, I think the Air Force Academy might be threatened too.

I know we have some members here, that have had to evacuate their houses, because of the flames.

Lets say a few prayers for them.

popper
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Amen. Just got back from RMNP. I guess there are 5-6 going on there now. A small one started in EP (south entrance) but was put out quickly. The old Flying W has burnt to the ground, Red Rocks has been closed off and the AF is next. 1 down by Durango also. Same as Texas last year but we didn't get any fed aid. KBO will have some 130's converted by 2014. LOL.

waksupi
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
It is very serious when this blows into an urban area. Apparently Helena, Mt. also has a fire nearby.
A friend in the Forest Service years ago that they really can't put out most fires, and have to wait for rain to stop them. If it gets into the cities, there may be no stopping it. The high winds spread the fires with unbelievable speed.
There is a fire briefing on the radio at the time. I didn't realize just how many were burning in Montana at the time, as this corner of the state is wetter than usual.

edler7
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Colo Springs has a population of about 650,000. The fire more than doubled yesterday afternoon, due to outflow from a thunderstorm north of it. Went from 6400 acres to over 15,000. It jumped 2 ridges and slid right down the third one into the northwest end of town. Last I heard they lost over 100 houses and the fire was less than 5% contained. It's bad, and today is supposed to be about the same weather wise.

I was coming in from Kansas yesterday and could see the smoke plume from about 90 miles (as the crow flies).

bradh
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Just heard from a brother south of CS that a pre-evacution order is out from center of CS
north to the county line and west of I-25. The AF Academy is evacuating to Ft. Carson. This
is nasty one!

Stick_man
06-27-2012, 04:43 PM
This is shaping up to be a majorly nasty fire season. My prayers and thoughts go out to all those affected by them. In Utah, we have several major fires burning right now, the largest one covering just over 37,000 acres and (last I heard) is only about 15% contained. There has already been at least one death in that fire and many summer cabins and a few year-round homes lost as well. It is in some of the best deer and elk hunting country in the state.

The news media is claiming that so far we have had 21 fires started by target shooters. There is a renewed outcry for increased restrictions on where people can shoot.

I am afraid the blue skies are gone from here for a while. Hopefully we will be able to get some rain soon to get these fires out before too much more loss happens.

Crawdaddy
06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Our call center in COS was evacuated, I saw pictures of the fire, it is scary. I can't imagine living near it. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people near the Colorado and New Mexico fires.

I also heard that target shooters were responsible for some of the fires. I wonder if any fact checking was done. If so was it the guns or was it a lit cigarette or something like that?

My mind instantly goes back to the political statement " never let any good crisis go to waste". Maybe it is just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lively Boy
06-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I live 70 miles north of Ft Collins and we get the smoke from that fire clean up here. So those folks that are down there and else where are very much in our prayers up here. The gov. just allowed the fire fighting tankers from the air base in Cheyenne to start fighting the fire in Ft. Collins. To All The Fire Fighters Our Prayers

wgr
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
my daughter-in -law and our grand baby.are here in indiana on vacation. they live just on the east side of I-25. they were planning on going home thurday but i dont think its a good idea.

edler7
06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
They are saying (at this point) the east side of I-25 is OK. I'm hearing lots of reports of how smokey it is there...can't believe that would be too good for anybody, especially a baby.

Local talk radio website with pretty good info about the fire. (http://kvor.com/)

waksupi
06-28-2012, 01:35 AM
300 homes burned in Waldo Canyon.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20957092/tens-thousands-remain-homeless-wake-waldo-canyon-fire?utm_medium=facebook

popper
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I also heard that target shooters were responsible for some of the fires. The US forest fire tracking site doesn't mention anything about shooters, just lightning and outdoor burning.

Bullfrog
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
There is a wide spread rumor that shooters were responsible by anti gun forces here in Colorado. I have cautioned many to disregard what is being reported in the media as largely distorted and made up stories. The FBI is also working with the forest service to determine the cause of the fire. There have been several nasty nasty storms that produced abnormal lightening strikes. One such strike started a fire out here by my house yesterday, but the news was quick to blame people once again.

The smoke was so bad that the fire dept and sheriff dept were investigating all the smoke here 2 days ago and even put a helicopter in the air to search for flames. They found that it was the Colorado Springs fire. Prayers for those folks enduring it and my friends living there.

koehn,jim
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people affected. Being from Calif, I have gone thru major fores and earthquakes and have great empthay for the people.

Aaron
06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
It was unbelievable Tuesday. Wall of fire came out of Queen' canyon into the west side homes. It was completely unexpected. I was half mile fro it when it crested the ridge. I raced home about two miles away and startef packing even though we were not under orders. I knew nothing was going to stop it. People were immediately asked to evacuate who were not previously under evac orders. Only had minutes to leave. Lots if people did not get home to get anything because many wrere at work. I was lucky and had most valuables packed. Fire was cresting last big ridge before crossing the valley to the ridge west of my house. Wind s. Could see it coming as we left. Wind shifted shortly after we left and saved our neighborhood, for now. Still active fire west of that could be blown into our homes in minutes. Still waiting hoping it it put out.

Aaron

From my phone. Did not check spelling.

Bullfrog
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Aaron it looks like a little rain today and I hope it hits there. Did you get your valuables out of there in time? Tuesday was nuts and that micro burst sent heavy smoke all the way to Bennett!

R.M.
06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
346 homes lost so far. Man I feel for them. We have a small fire going here (Flagstaff Fire) that's only 2 ridges away, but it's to the east, so as long as the wind stays out of the west I'll be OK. It's being held at 300 acres, and is contained, so I'm not too concerned now,but when it first started we were sure scurrying around here packing things up.
That one down by the AFA sure is scarey. Luckily, there has been nobody hurt so far. That's really amazing, considering that there are over 1000 personnel fighting it. Those guys and gals deserve a lot more credit than what they get.

Aaron
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Bullfrog

Yes for the most part. Got all guns, jeep, Harleys, vehicles, jewelry. I was lucky because I saw it cross Queen's canyon and started packing before anyone else in our neighborhokd did.

Aaron

Bullfrog
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Good job thinking ahead Aaron!
R.M.- yes that is the truth that no one has been injured or killed yet in that blaze

GP100man
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
It`s just unbelievable people wading in waist hi water in FLA. & people fleeing fires in the west !!!

I pray for the Families , The Fire Fighters !!!!

Amen.

Bullfrog
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Fire just broke out in Canyon City. I have a friend up there who's hubby was called in to evac people.

76 WARLOCK
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
The sad part is that these fires are the result of mismanagement by the Forest Service caused by the enviros. These areas should have burned 25-30 years ago, the Forest service 50 years ago would have clear cut strips through these areas to prevent this, but if they tried now they would be in court for ever. Thank the Sierra Club if you lost your home.

Bullfrog
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
That is so true Warlock

R.M.
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Well,they found one body yesterday, and another is missing from the same household. Such a shame, but it was bound to happen.

Digger
06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Am I mistaken in thinking we have a really good tool available this day and age called the "Evergreen supertanker" ..... a converted 747 , . but Politics keeps it on the ground .....[smilie=b:
Read this thread ...http://beforeitsnews.com/story/2320/094/747_SUPERTANKER_Stays_grounded_while_Colorado_Burn s.html

Bullfrog
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
It was grounded, and I think it was political or the BS excuse of safety. It is a good bird.

edler7
06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Just found out my neighbor's son lost his house to the fire during the big flare up on Tuesday. They had almost no warning for evacuation, it came down the hill and was on them in nothing flat.

I told them I had some furniture and such his family could have, but it will be a while till they have a house to put it in. When it hits someone you know, it takes everything to a whole new level.

MT Gianni
07-01-2012, 12:41 AM
I have a fire 6 miles N of me 65% contained and one SW of me @ 5% contained. Both have been burning a week and the forecast is for dry thunderstorm with some possible moisture as hail. Our area of Montana has had less than 1" of rain in June.

Aaron
07-01-2012, 11:27 AM
We are back home, but leaving everything ready to leave again. There is still active fire on the mountain straight west. Winds could get it going and blow it down here again.

Aaron

rockrat
07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Aaron

Glad to hear you are back home and OK.