PDA

View Full Version : Present State of Boolits in Glocks (9mm specifically)

Dannix
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
So after reading up as much as possible on the matter here many months ago, I just got in Miha's 9mm 125grn HP mould, and I'm ready to give this a go.

I'm interested in the current thoughts on this. I'm down to just a few rounds of jacked 9mm left, and I have a load I like for my HiPower with Miha's 140grn solid, so I now am ready to get my Glock converted over as well.

Please see the poll options, vote based on your current practice, and please elaborate and share your experience in the thread. I'm particularly interested in 9mm, but if you wish to comments concerning boolits and other calibered Glocks, please feel free to do so.

If need be, I'm going to give Pat's 35 PlainBase die (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93833) a go. (Which reminds me -- I need to put in an order for a 30cal die...)

runfiverun
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
there is a thread in the sticky's titled the truth about cast in glocks.
reading it might be very useful.

snuffy
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
there is a thread in the sticky's titled the truth about cast in glocks.
reading it might be very useful.

Yup right here;

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855

garym1a2
06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
My cast 175gr 40S&W boolits work great in my Glock22 with Storm lake barrel. I tried them in the OEM barrel and they leaded like crazy. With my Glock21SF in 45acp I can shoot my 200SWC all day and the gun wipes clean with one brush.

In my 9mm conversion barrel for the Glock 22 the cast boolits work great as well for the Gliock 22.

Shiloh
06-28-2012, 07:41 PM
My cast 175gr 40S&W boolits work great in my Glock22 with Storm lake barrel. I tried them in the OEM barrel and they leaded like crazy. With my Glock21SF in 45acp I can shoot my 200SWC all day and the gun wipes clean with one brush.

In my 9mm conversion barrel for the Glock 22 the cast boolits work great as well for the Gliock 22.

It is a mystery with Glocks. 9mm cast shoots great, .40 S&W has an aftermarket barrel.

SHiloh

latesvak
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm curious to see what the others say due to the fact that I want to get another 9 nag I want a glock but not sure bout the lead thing . My .02 is it does shoot fine in my glock 22.

Latesvak

BadDaditood
06-29-2012, 02:03 AM
i think the mystery is in the .40 s+w... i bought an aftermarket bbl for my old G22 too.

if i had it to do over again, i'd get a 10mm Glock... and a 9mm. gotta have a .45 acp to keep the Colt company... maybe a GAP too.

i love Glocks, just not happy reloading/casting/chore boying .40 s+w

fcvan
06-29-2012, 02:26 AM
To be fair and honest, I shoot my 9mm through a Lone Wolf conversion barrel taking it from .40 to 9mm. I only shoot cast in my Glock 40s, and pretty much everything else. A bad load will lead in any type of barrel and I don't completely understand why the polygonal rifling of the Glock would be any more prone to leading than another.

Proper alloy, proper fit, proper lube, proper powder and for heaven's sake check your bore often to see if there are any issues, just like you would do with any firearm. I've had great success shooting 9mm through a S&W 459, 639, 659. lone wolf barrels in Glock 22s and 23s, and a Marlin Model 9 Carbine. Oh, and years ago in a Colt 9mm Carbine.

My standard load is a Lee 356-126 RN with 5 grains of Unique and various brands of 50-50 Alox/Beeswax. The alloy has been everything from water dropped wheel weights to soft range scrap. After 25 years of shooting this load it seems my 9mms prefer the softer range scrap. I have also fired the Lee 358-105 SWC in the 9mm.

I started out sizing to .356 then .357 but found every gun I've shot preferred .358. I've tried W231 and Bullseye and didn't seem to have any issues but I keep going back to Unique as it does well for me. I hope this has been helpful. Frank

H.Callahan
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I think the answer to the poll, is probably somewhere between option 1, "Boolit. Proper size, design, alloy, and load is all it takes." and option 3 "Aftermarket Barrel. Boolits are OK -- But only with an aftermarket barrel." I agree with option 1, but it seems that getting to the right size, alloy, design and load can be tough with the factory barrel. Getting all those right in an aftermarket barrel seems to be a lot easier to accomplish.

Shiloh
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
i think the mystery is in the .40 s+w... i bought an aftermarket bbl for my old G22 too.

if i had it to do over again, i'd get a 10mm Glock... and a 9mm. gotta have a .45 acp to keep the Colt company... maybe a GAP too.

i love Glocks, just not happy reloading/casting/chore boying .40 s+w

Glock 21 has a conversion barrel to shoot .40 S&W.
I've enjoyed Glocks for years. The .40 S&W is the only one to give me trouble.
Aftermarket barrel solved it.

Shiloh

eck0313
07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I shot my 80's vintage Glock 17 with lead ammo when I first got it, and hadn't heard about the blow ups. Since then, I've heard not to shoot lead, or reloads or else risk blow ups.

Interestingly enough, the only blow ups I have personal knowledge of were with .40 or .45 guns shooting factory jacketed ammo . . .

AggieEE
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM
One thing I've noticed with Glock and the .40 S&W is that where the case head ends is just about where the chamber begins. Kind of explains the " Glock buldge" doesn't it? I had some feeding problems in a .40 Glock and I was looking at the ramp on the barrel and compaired it with the case. Conclusion, don't touch the ramp with anything abrasive. The rifling also starts kind of sudden so bad bullet fit, alloy,load may let lead build up there and let the gun fire out of battery. I know I can get the stricker to cycle with the slide about 1/16" out of battery which is huge when dealing with headspace etc. I just make sure I clean the barrel good every time I shoot it and run lead and don't worry about it. Again my .02.
AggieEE

fatelk
07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I haven't had any trouble with my factory Glock barrel in .40S&W, but have had more trouble with leading in my Hi-Powers in 9mm. I just got the size and lube right, and kept the loads on the mild end. I've never had a Glock in 9mm.

Shiloh, I was interested to see your post (and others here) about .40 Glock troubles. Before now I hadn't heard of an experienced caster not being able to make boolits work right in a Glock. It seems like most of the anti Glock/boolit comments I had seen before fell into two camps: newbies doing something wrong, and know-it-alls who never tried it but tell you how it is because Glock said so and that settles it.

I'm not doubting you; quite the opposite. It makes me think there may be a bit of truth to the issue after all, at least in some barrels.