PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 22 lr

omgb
07-09-2005, 02:54 AM
I've got a potential project gun hanging around here that i'd like to move into the realm of reality rather than potential. It's an original Marlin 22 lever action. The barrel was cut back to 10 inches, the magazine tube cut back as well and the stock was lopped off just behind the wrist. I got it from a slaughter house that used it for tapping bulls. The action is perfect and the trigger pull to die for. What I need is a stock and fore end, a barrel and a mag tube with follower. So far, no joy. Any ideas?

beagle
07-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Check E-Bay for gun parts. I've seen lots of Marlins that have been "parted out" and you may pick up what you need.

I was at the range several years ago and this guys shows up with a Marlin 39A. Said he bought it in 1956 and it had been in the closet since then and had only had a box of 50 bullets through it. Really didn't need it. I put another box through it and got it zeroed for him.

Well, money swapped hands and it followed me home and it's a shooter. I'd owned one back in the 60s but it wasn't near as smooth as this one.

Fix that old boy up and enjoy shooting it./beagle

Jumptrap
07-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I've got a potential project gun hanging around here that i'd like to move into the realm of reality rather than potential. It's an original Marlin 22 lever action. The barrel was cut back to 10 inches, the magazine tube cut back as well and the stock was lopped off just behind the wrist. I got it from a slaughter house that used it for tapping bulls. The action is perfect and the trigger pull to die for. What I need is a stock and fore end, a barrel and a mag tube with follower. So far, no joy. Any ideas?

I have an idea.....sell it to me so I can use it to rebuild my Marlin '97....we're almost in the same boat. good luck..parts come dearly.

9.3X62AL
07-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I have an older Model 39A, and its accuracy is such that I see no need to put out the cash for a CZ 452. Please note that "need" and "desire" differ in definition. From my experience with this little lever critter, it would be worth your while to find parts for your little NFA example.

StarMetal
07-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Back when I was young, har har, I wanted a Winchester 94 leveraction, but didn't have the money. I thought about the Marlin 39, but honestly didn't like the appearance as much as the Winchester and it too was expensive. I ended up getting a Browning BLR, although it really wasn't what I wanted, it was a neat little rifle, accurate, and godawful fast action, definately faster then the other two. It got trades some years down the line. I think 22 rimfires are among some of the most fun firearms out there. I'm trying to talk myself into a dedicated 22 upper for my AR15, but have resisted so far.

Joe

Buckshot
07-10-2005, 12:12 AM
............Have you checked all the usual sources like GPC? I also recall years ago when I used to get "The Gun List" and "Shotgun News" that there were people who not only dealt in parts specific to Winchester and Marlin guns, but also those catering to just lever actions.

Now if you're after original manufacturer's parts the search may be long. I do know that for wood you can get Marlin replacement stocks from a couple places. There are many barrel sources too. I think Brownells may even have direct replacement barrels (octagon) for the M39 Marlin.

At least you can get it legally shooting while you hunt for original replacement stuff.

..............Buckshot

Calamity Jake
07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
omgb, Try "The Gun Garage" his land line # 479-524-2038 or email cabolduc@tcainternet.com I see him at gun shows in my area and have done a lot business with him. He has a lot of parts for the older guns (got an ejector rod for a flat gate ruger SS from him)
I'm not sure about the land line # this card I have is old, his name is Al Bolduc in Siloam Springs Ar.

nevada duke
07-13-2005, 01:38 AM
OMGB, the Marlin 39 is a beauty, I've had mine since buying in the early 1950's with the proceeds from my paper routes. You have had good advice as to parts sources, but have you tried to go direct to Marlin? Over the years I have had to buy a firing pin and replaced a worn ejector and its spring, and the factory was glad to oblige. It might help to find a parts list for the new ones, and use those parts numbers as a starting point. IMHO opinion, the barrel should be headspaced by a gunsmith, as a well used if not abused example might display some wear on the nose of the lever, and the corresponding lug on the bottom of the bolt. This will cause bulged cases ahead of the rim, I saw this in an 1897 that I had relined and restored some years ago. A great gun and worth the effort to restore. Good luck and post your results. Mine has been shot MANY thousands of rounds and is still accurate and the only rifle that I've made more than one running shot with, it really fits an adult. My oldest son has the Mountie, the 20" barrel straight stock version, micro-groove but just as accurate.

Best regards from Nevada duke.