PDA

View Full Version : Using GPS to set targets

Ickisrulz
06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
I was out shooting steel targets in the desert this weekend. I decided to use my GPS to set the targets at known distances. I marked my firing position as a "waypoint" and then hit "goto" my way point to find distances. It worked well and the GPS said accuracy was within 15 feet. This is better than I can pace off anyway.

Doughty
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Some years back I shot a deer across a ravine. (.30-40 Krag in a Ruger #3, Lyman 311041) Always wondered how far the shot was. Not long ago I went back with my new GPS and took a reading where I shot from and another where the deer fell. 285 yards. I don't know why I didn't take along the laser range finder I now have, to check against the GPS. Next time I'm up in that area, I'll have to re-check it.

nicholst55
06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Snipers are using the same technology - GPS satellites (and laser rangefinders) - to make some of the absolutely incredible long-range shots in Iraq and Afghanistan that you hear about. You have to wonder what some of the legendary snipers like Bert Waldron and Carlos Hathcock could have done with that kind of technology.

montana_charlie
06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I have been using Google Earth.

There is a 'ruler' feature that measures distance, and it can be set for 'yards'.
I begin at a known landmark (on my property) where i would place a bench, then draw a line to another landmark where I would place a target.

It helps me find firing lanes of given (long) distances which can later be fine tuned with a laser range finder.

Another handy measuring tool is the odometer on my four wheeler, which counts in hundreths of a mile ... not tenths.
For instance, .06 miles is 105 yards.

CM

sharps4590
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Well isn't that clever!! I've had a rangefinder for so long I never would have thought of using GPS. technology....sheesh!