PDA

View Full Version : .22mag barrel cut&crown job

Lefty SRH
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I have a LH Savage 93G that want cut a few inches off the barrel and recrown. What is the best way to cut the barrel without having access to machine shop machinery?
I already have an 11 degree hand crowning tool and pilot matched to the bore diameter.

Lefty SRH
06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Is a hacksaw with fine tooth blade and saw guide sufficient?

altheating
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
My crowning kit also has a flat cutter to square up the end before you use the crowning cutter. The end has to be perfectly flat before cutting the crown. The kit also has a cutter to cut a radius on the outer edge of the barrel. The hacksaw works just fine, but you have to get the end flat after cutting.

Lefty SRH
06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Guess I'll order another cutter....

How well did the job turn out on your barrel?

Mk42gunner
06-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I have cut several barrels using nothing more than a vice and hacksaw. Use a small try square and file to square the end of the barrel and a round head bolt to crown the bore.

Be careful when using a guide to cut the barrel, most guides I have seen don't allow for the taper of the barrel.

Robert

pietro
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Use a round head bolt to crown the bore

Robert

I use a few sizes of BRASS round-headed bolts/screws, covered with (first) "coarse", then (secondly, after cleaning the bore) with "fine" automotive valve-grinding compound - available @ auto supply stores & some home & auto chain stores.

Any particles removed from the muzzle while crowning will lodge in the brass ILO scratching the crown.

leadman
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I have cut quite a few mil-surps and commercial barrels and used a hacksaw. Then a file and a square. I use a counterbore I bought at Home Depot to taper the bore edges. If you are careful it comes out smooth, if not just do it again.