PDA

View Full Version : Finnish M/N target stock

andremajic
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey guys,

This has been an on and off project for me since I got this finnish m/n about 5 years ago. I absolutely hate the look and feel of the original stocks and the aftermarket stuff looks even worse, IMO.

I saw a couple of the finnish target/sniper system stocks and I really like the modern, ergonomic look, and no external magazine showing either!

Here's my progress so far.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/44874fe7625822c89.jpg

I've been using only hand tools for this, as most of my work is when the kids have gone to sleep and I don't want to wake them with power tools. Plus, it's easier to keep from taking off too much wood if you're using hand tools.

List of tools used so far: Brace and bit, hand saw, chisels, gouges, files, cabinetmakers rasp, rasp, lamp for soot (inletting)

P.S. I kindof cheated by using the lathe to make an inletting screw to orient the action, but all wood has been removed with hand tools.

Andy

drhall762
06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
lookin' good.

Ben
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I've done work similar to yours on other barreled actions. You are to be commended. It is looking really nice !

Show us some final photos once you are finished please.

Ben

Frank46
06-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Funny thing, I just did a google search looking for just a stock 28/76 is the model number. Nope no dice. From what little I saw the rear end of the action has been altered to better fitting bedding on that stock. I did ask on the nitro express site and was given a link to a Finnish site but that particular stock has a bedding block on the barrel and the rest is free floating. Beautiful stock in walnut. Frank

andremajic
06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
What I'd like to do is use this stock as a "blank" to copy off of and make a couple in Walnut. I really like the ergonomics of these "target" style stocks. Any people with stock duplicators who I can look into?

There are probably tons of m/n owners who don't like their stocks. I know my co-worker is all over my idea since he owns 2 of them.

Andy.

Ben
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
What kind of wood in the photo above ?

andremajic
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
For the life of me I can't remember what it was. A buddy in my 'smithin class gave me a blank and said, tell me how you like it.

It looks like birch or something equivalent, but I don't think he said it was birch. Some weird tree that I can't remember the name for.

It's actually yellow in color, like yellow pine, and it smells like....nachos when I started cutting it.

Cheddar tree? lol