PDA

View Full Version : Powder on range bench

scarter
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
After shooting a hundred or so, sometimes there are flakes of powder on the shooting bench that obviously didn't burn and either came out the muzzle or the ejection port. I shoot 45s, use Unique. Does this mean i am not taper-crimping tight enough?

44man
06-24-2012, 09:19 AM
After shooting a hundred or so, sometimes there are flakes of powder on the shooting bench that obviously didn't burn and either came out the muzzle or the ejection port. I shoot 45s, use Unique. Does this mean i am not taper-crimping tight enough?
No, it is common.

Shiloh
06-24-2012, 09:26 AM
What 44man said.

If there is fresh snow, the area in front of the shed has unburnt powder on it when I shoot the .45.
In the snowy season, I shoot a lot more wheelgun. I don't have to hunt for brass in the snow.
I use Unique and Bullseye.

Shiloh

zomby woof
06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
The floor of an indoor range is covered in unburt powder.

scarter
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks to all for your good advice.

1Shirt
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Yep, what they said!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

MikeS
06-28-2012, 01:30 AM
The only time I noticed lots of unburned powder was when I loaded some 45ACP rounds with 7.2gr of Blue Dot. When I shot the first cartridge I noticed that the recoil felt much lighter than I'm used to, then I noticed all the unburned powder! When I loaded those I thought I had put on a fairly heavy taper crimp. I also had some that I had loaded with the 453423, and those I put a medium roll crimp on them (they're for my S&W revolver using moon clips), and when I fired those, they felt more like I expected them to feel recoil wise, and they also had much less unburned powder come out of them. So either my taper crimp isn't nearly as strong as I think it was, or taper crimps in general are much weaker than roll crimps.