PDA

View Full Version : We need RAIN

jcwit
06-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Wife and went for a short drive here in Northern Central Indiana, Elkhart County to be exact. Its so dry that the corn not only is curling but now dying. This is plants approx 3 feet high and of course not in tossle yet.

Watch for the price for corn flakes to skyrocket.

Dang its Rain not RATN

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Jan 1!

jcwit
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm sure Benz, but these are acres and acres of field corn and not all farmers have irrigation systems.

oneokie
06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Dang its Rain not RATN

That can be corrected if you ask ;)

OneSkinnyMass
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Back in the late 70's I worked as a farmhand in central Illinois on a 2800 acre farm. One of the main things I remember is how spotty the rain would be, some fields would curl and others would be to wet to work. Same good rich loamy soil and flat as a pancake but scattered over a 4 or 5 mile area.
Now those weren't real dry years like some places have been having for a while now but even good years, farming is an educated guess and a gamble at best.

Skinny

GabbyM
06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Heard from a farmer in Southern Illinois today. Over by Shawnee Town there corn is'nt going to make it. Knee high and tassleing with no rain. Ours here in the middle of the state is doing well. We do need some rain.

Plate plinker
06-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Wife and went for a short drive here in Northern Central Indiana, Elkhart County to be exact. Its so dry that the corn not only is curling but now dying. This is plants approx 3 feet high and of course not in tossle yet.

Watch for the price for corn flakes to skyrocket.

Dang its Rain not RATN

Ehh hmmm I am here too. It is getting desperate. If it ain't irrigated it ain't gonna make it. Maybe get silage at best. But they had four tenths the other day near Emma if you know where that is.

jcwit
06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Emma? Shur do know, my wife was the first Graduating Class form there back in 1968. Hows the Ice Cream at the little general store on the south east corner.

Best
jcwit

sharps4590
06-24-2012, 06:50 AM
We're in the same shape here. 1.1 inches of rain since the middle of April, and none in sight.

41 mag fan
06-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Gibson County corn is good in some spots, dying in other spots. The corn all around us is from waist to chest high and turning brown and tasseling, which is about 3-4'.

Not going to be a good year, for corn or what beans are in the ground.

badgeredd
06-24-2012, 07:44 AM
We received a bit, about .3" a couple days ago. The southern tier of counties in MI and the northern 2 tiers of counties in IN are all needing rain badly. I've heard from a buddy in NW OH they aren.t doing much better and he's worried about his crops. They're saying it is much like the summer of 1988 when we had an official drought. Besides the lack of rain for crops, I am concerned that the wood lots in the area are getting way too dry. Fire is a definite worry as witnessed by the large area that is under a burn ban. With the fourth of July coming, along with the associated fireworks, it is getting a bit scary as fire is concerned.

Edd

Plate plinker
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Emma? Shur do know, my wife was the first Graduating Class form there back in 1968. Hows the Ice Cream at the little general store on the south east corner.

Best
jcwit
It's okay if you like ice cream, not a bad place to eat either.

1Shirt
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
They are already talking drought possibility in Ne.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

quilbilly
06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
If I could, I would send you some of ours. We are over double normal for the month with more on the way.

GabbyM
06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Heard from a farmer in Southern Illinois today. Over by Shawnee Town there corn is'nt going to make it. Knee high and tassleing with no rain. Ours here in the middle of the state is doing well. We do need some rain.

Heard from the farmer, from my first post quoted above, down in Southern Illinois today. They started mowing down there corn. Will try to get in a crop of soy beans.

Was mowing grass today on strips along our field boundary with the neighbor. Used to call that a fence row. Noticed there corn was tasseling but no ears. This was early planted corn. We took a late hard frost here and I think more damage occurred than was thought. Can’t back that assumption up however. People tell me there is a lot of corn here in Central Illinois with no ears or silk under the tassels. Our little twenty acre patch was planted April 7th and 8th. Still in growth stage and over my head. If we get rain by the 4th of July we’ll see 180 bushel corn. That’s IF. We did have an inch a couple weeks ago when most around only received two tenths.

We held off until after April 5th to plant because that’s when the crop insurance started covering frost damage. That turned out to our great advantage. We are a few miles South of Rt 36. To say great luck has befallen us is obvious. Hoping it holds out.

badgeredd
06-27-2012, 09:21 AM
The weather services in our area have officially said we are in a drought. Now the news media has figured out that the lack of rain and with us being in a drought, we have a increased chance of wild fires...DUH! My woods is extremely dry and I am hoping the fireworks enthusiasts have the good sense to forego the use of fireworks until after we have some significant rain.

Edd