PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new cast boolit manual

Rockchucker
06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm in the market for a new cast manual, I'm mostly using the Lyman 3rd edition. It lists jacketed loads as well and getting online loads too, however I'd like to have a hard copy dedicated to cast only manual, and looking for some recommendations from the folks here on which one's or one they prefer.

06-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, there's always Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition. Though out of print and not as comprehensive as any of the Lyman's, the RCBS manual is always a worthwhile addition.

.22-10-45
06-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Hello, Rockchucker. Have you checked out Joe Brennan's BIG book..Cast Bullets For Beginer and Expert? If you join the CBA..they will give you a copy free!

runfiverun
06-23-2012, 03:37 AM
there ain't nothin' in joes book he didn't get from here.
the lyman cast bullet number three is the best one out there.
the rcbs cast bullet book has some other data in it [and covers heat treating],as does the accurate manual [which covers a ton of the 5744 data that the "new" lyman book has],and theres some stuff in the lee manual too.
but the lyman #3 is the best.

ilcop22
06-23-2012, 03:57 AM
+1 on Lyman cast bullet.
I also use Lee's Reloading 2nd edition, as they have a section dedicated to casting (though it only covers 3 popular chamberings). The other load data in that book also include lead bullets in various weights, which can be handy if your boolit isn't a Lyman or isn't relative to one you'd find in Lyman #3. My top 2 books.

Rockchucker
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
there ain't nothin' in joes book he didn't get from here.
the lyman cast bullet number three is the best one out there.
the rcbs cast bullet book has some other data in it [and covers heat treating],as does the accurate manual [which covers a ton of the 5744 data that the "new" lyman book has],and theres some stuff in the lee manual too.
but the lyman #3 is the best.

That's good to hear cause its the only cast book I own. I have a 9oz bottle of trail boss powder I was wanting to use cause it fills the cases up and couldn't find any data for 45 colt in it, did find some data on the imr site though. Thanks for all the responses guys.

runfiverun
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
they give a guideline of filling the case then using 60% or sumthin like that.
i'd just figure to the base of the boolit and put that much in the case.
maybe a slight amount of compression.
you'll probably get 800 fps or so from it.
you'd probably get the same results by following those same directions with 4895.

Bret4207
06-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm in the market for a new cast manual, I'm mostly using the Lyman 3rd edition. It lists jacketed loads as well and getting online loads too, however I'd like to have a hard copy dedicated to cast only manual, and looking for some recommendations from the folks here on which one's or one they prefer.

Sorry, but my 3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullet Manual lists zero jacketed loads. Exactly what manual are you using? Maybe the Pistol and Revolver?

06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Oops and thanks, Bret. I only saw the 3rd edition part and didn't catch the jacketed part, thus my mention of the Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition. I think the Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd edition is the better of the two. But, having them both is not to be overlooked.

Rockchucker
06-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, The one I'm using is the 3rd edition Pistol and Revolver.

Lance Boyle
06-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I didn't know they had a 3rd series of reloading manual. I have the 47th Reloading Handbook (1992 copyright) that covers jacketed, cast for pistols and rifles. My Cast Bullet Handbook is the 4th and it has no jacketed stuff that I saw.

I think I'm learning far more here than from the Lyman manual. There is a lot of theory and science but the actual tips for how to on this board are far more valuable to me. There was a thread the other day for your best tips you've picked up here. That's the kind of stuff a newb should peruse.

Even when I use goggle for searches on technique, 95% of the time goggle points back to this site or secondly the S&W site lately. I'm still learning and playing with my ladle technique, playing with bottom pour techniques, temps, etc. I'm finding that casting is kind of like loading in general, there aren't many absolutes, sometimes you and your gun or mold just like things a certain way.

Bret4207
06-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Yes, The one I'm using is the 3rd edition Pistol and Revolver.

Then get the 3rd edition CAST BULLET HANDBOOK, in fact get the 4th edition too and hunt up the 1st and 2nd editions. Lots more cast loads than the P+R manual. Ken Waters "Pet Loads" is another great source for cast loads and his jacketed work is outstanding.

Rockchucker
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Then get the 3rd edition CAST BULLET HANDBOOK, in fact get the 4th edition too and hunt up the 1st and 2nd editions. Lots more cast loads than the P+R manual. Ken Waters "Pet Loads" is another great source for cast loads and his jacketed work is outstanding.

I'll be checking out the availability on the manuals sometime today, Thanks to all.