PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Hello!

MakeMineA10mm
04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Where has this site been all my life?!? :drinks:

I've been a bullet caster since the early 80s, and remember watching my dad and his buddies smelting WWs and casting as far back as I remember (although he didn't cast anywhere near as much as I've grown into it). Dad also had a fascination with casting lead toy soldiers, but that's another story...

I have several guns (mostly revolvers, but one lever-action carbine) that have never seen a jacketed bullet or a factory load, including my favorite S&W629.

In the early 90s, a buddy and I bought a bullet casting business, and we ran that for two years, before deciding to get "real jobs". We still have the Ballisti-Cast Mk. II, and the Magma sizer, but we mostly hand-cast at this point.

I've read most of the written material available about casting, and I'd guess I've cast a few hundred thousand lead bullets (and loaded and shot a fair number of them, although well over half were sold as part of the business).

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi!" and express how much I appreciate the useful information from really smart and experienced casters here!

:castmine:

trooperdan
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Welcome! You have found some kindred spirits and a "home away from home."

handyrandyrc
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Welcome! I'm kind of a newb here, but I have learned a TON already in the short 5-6 months I've hung out...

These guys are truly the master casters.

DLCTEX
04-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome from the Eastern Panhandle of Texas! I look forward to hearing your input. Dale

kywoodwrkr
04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Some folks here from central IL. And points NEWS!:mrgreen:
I started out life in Kankakee as a matter of fact.
HS Paxton IL('59) and graduated from SIU. ('67)
Of course you'd never guess that from my userid![smilie=1:
Welcome aboard.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

HORNET
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the asylum for the seriously lead addicted. There's an incredible amount of information available on this site about everything from basic casting through advanced techniques and heat treating and onward to antique tractors ( things might drift a little off topic on occasion).
You can find data on almost any caliber or standard mold and can find people on here that play with things from casting .177 pellets to .577 revolver and onward. Mostly quite willing to share complete data, random thoughts, ideas, and opinions and maybe even loan out a mold for evaluation. The place kind of grows on you, haven't hardly visited certain other sites in ages.
Just don't ask about cats and remember them sheep is lyin'

Crash_Corrigan
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
I have been lurking around here for some time and I have learned an awful lot of useful tips from the members. This place has integrity and grit and the folks who hang around here are honest and truthful. Sometimes a truth gets streeeched a bit but who cares? I have bought and swapped molds and boolits again and again with never a problem. I am awaiting my first 6 banger Lee mold in the group buy for a .326 150 gr plinker that I can size down to .324 for my CZ Mauser. I wish they would do a mold in .226 cal in about 40 grains for my CZ .223. Maybe I should ask about it on the forum? Anyway welcome aboard. I usually spend 30 to 45 minutes a day on the forum just to keep up with what is going on. I have learned how to reduce the trigger pull on my Ruger BH and also how to LEEMENT my store bought Lee 6 banger molds. They are cheap but lack some of the quality control you get on the higher priced lines. They stick and can be nursed along to make a lot of boolits real fast and cheap. You will enjoy your stay! I have.
Regards, Dan (Crash) Corrigan from Las Vegas (We never Sleep)

454PB
04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Try to keep in mind that many members of this forum are at some level of lead poisoning, and will get carried away for many pages discussing minor details that most normal people not exposed to hazardous-material would find petty[smilie=w:

MT Gianni
04-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Welcome Brother, you're home. Gianni

danski26
04-26-2007, 12:54 AM
welcome aboard!

Cherokee
04-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Welcome. We have lots of fun here.

1Shirt
04-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Just another welcome! Lots of words of wisdom here along with a few heapings of mostly good natured stuff. Much to learn and try, and like some of the others have said, this site is addictive!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ricochet
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Casting boolits can result in thinning hair.

9.3X62AL
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Compared to the drivel we get exposed to on mass media news shows and mainstream television, lead poisoning is a small matter. After 25 years+ of pouring boolits, a recent baseline blood test showed levels under that normally seen in people my age (51). Liberal politics via the media is lots more toxic.

Welcome aboard!

MakeMineA10mm
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Try to keep in mind that many members of this forum are at some level of lead poisoning, and will get carried away for many pages discussing minor details that most normal people not exposed to hazardous-material would find petty[smilie=w:

Wow. Now I can proove to my wife that it's not just me!!! :mrgreen: :drinks:

Thanks for all the welcomes folks. I'm lovin' the site and the people here seem really great!

Dale53
04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
MakeMineA10mm;
Welcome to the board! It sounds like you'll make a worthy addition to our "illustrious" group.

This is a really good bunch from the rank beginners to those more expert than you would believe.

Shoot Center!!
Dale53

Bigjohn
04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Brother, Welcome to the Silver Stream.

You will know when your addiction really kicks in; normally after you buy another firearm just so you can shoot the boolits which you cast from the mould you picked up at the last Gunshow. :-D :-D

John.

45nut
04-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Adding my two-cent welcome a bit late but its here nonetheless.
This site has some pretty dedicated members new and old and we strive to make it as welcoming and as full of information as possible.

I thank all of those above me for the fine welcome that you offered.