PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show thoughts

DanM
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
With the rising cost of admission and parking at gun shows, I am thinking that the promoters should be offering more service for our money. My first thought is a 'customer wants' bulletin board. I usually carry a short list of items that I need, and some may be hard to find. Suppose a running text message was created where a customer could list those obscure items along with a cel number. The idea being that vendors would scroll through the list and call the customer if they have his item. I realize that we may not want to post our cel numbers, and maybe there is a better way to connect a customer with a vendor who has what he needs. Maybe we can come up with a workable plan for this service, I would send the idea to C&E and other show promoters, and maybe some others will too....

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I think the best shows are the little ones run by a local organization , the first one that comes to mind is the one that the firemen put on it is a fund raiser for the volunteer fire department

they pull all the trucks out , it is usually the first weekend in December , great little show , not hardly an inch of that place without a table , tables are reasonable and many locals get a table to sell parts of their collections

others are put on by the VFW or American legion

the promoted shows i have been to around here don't do much for me If i wanted to see a bunch of new guns at every table i would just go to my local gun store they can get me almost anything currently in production

jcwit
06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I think the best shows are the little ones run by a local organization ,

I agree. We have an American Legion here in No. Indiana that put on a gun show spring and fall, great little show, very friendly helpful vendors, super breakfast that their Aux puts on. Just small town "Orland, IN" hospitality.

dragonrider
06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Several years ago I quit going to the large promoted guns shows. They consist of mostly tables of cheap chinese knives and a lot of junk that has nothing to do with guns. The only one I go to now is at a local sportsman club, about 60 tables, There are couple of local dealers that set up there but mostly it is folks with parts or guns or reloading items, etc for sale. I really enjoy this one. The big shows are a waste of time, at least here in New England.

6.5 mike
06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
The smaller shows in the town I live in have always been good to me. Mostly the same sellers, & fun to dicker back & froth with them. I do get tired of all the junk knives & black rifle stuff. No moulds & very little reloading items at any of our shows anymore.

Recluse
06-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Several years ago I quit going to the large promoted guns shows. They consist of mostly tables of cheap chinese knives and a lot of junk that has nothing to do with guns. The only one I go to now is at a local sportsman club, about 60 tables, There are couple of local dealers that set up there but mostly it is folks with parts or guns or reloading items, etc for sale. I really enjoy this one. The big shows are a waste of time, at least here in New England.

Well, they are down here in Texas as well.

I've given up on them.

:coffee:

sharps4590
06-23-2012, 07:24 AM
And yet another vote for the smaller, local shows. At all the big shows I've attended my trading stuff was junk and theirs was gold....even if it was the same thing!!!!! And, as others have said, all the non-firearm related stuff. 6.5 mike hit upon an interesting observation also, very little reloading or casting equipment or supplies at shows these days, at least in our areas.

FISH4BUGS
06-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Maybe our gun shows here in NH are not as large as others. I don't know. I do admit that we are lucky - neither of the two annual major gun shows (DiPrete promotions - the late Art DiPrete) charge for parking, and admission is always reasonable.
I LIKE going to gun shows....it is the fun of just poking around that makes it enjoyable. Always looking for Hensley & Gibbs moulds, reloading goodies, grease gun magazine for the Uzi 45 sbr, AR15 parts, and whatever else catches my eye.
The guns are always over priced, but I usually don't buy them at shows anyway.
I don't know about you, but I will keep going.

41 mag fan
06-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Shows should outlaw coins, model planes and trucks, romance novels and anything else that doesn't pertain to guns, reloading, shooting, or the shooting and hunting industry.

Fishing tackle ought to be at a fishing show.

We have local shows that have this at them every month.
The models the guy stacks up the height of 8' high by 12' long. Royally burns me, and each month he hears my side comments about it as I walk by.
Haven't seen anyone buy any from him, same with the romance books.

largom
06-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I go to a lot of gun shows but always pass on the big promoted ones. If they are located in a gun club or firemen's hall, I will go. The cost of the tables and the admission cost is a good indicator of the size of the show. Smaller shows are best.

Larry

badgeredd
06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I agree. We have an American Legion here in No. Indiana that put on a gun show spring and fall, great little show, very friendly helpful vendors, super breakfast that their Aux puts on. Just small town "Orland, IN" hospitality.

That has been one of my favourite shows in the area. Last time (last year, fall) I was there they said they were going to quit having it. There's another small show at Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club that a dandy little show in Feb or March.

Edd

Bad Water Bill
06-23-2012, 01:24 PM
There is a good show Sep 22-23 Valpraiso In, Porter County Expo Center.

You never know what will show up in the several rooms on display.

I always make it as do several members from here.

There will be lots of cast boolits for sale there.:bigsmyl2:

Bent Ramrod
06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Most gun shows cannot "outlaw" the Beanie Babies, beef jerky, sensual massages, black velcro Ninja equipment, glasses-cleaning, coins, beer cans, etc., because most shows are not interested in showing guns. They are interested in selling tables, the more the better, and secondarily in selling entry tickets, the larger the audience, the better. Only the gun-club sponsored or big-time antique gun shows have half a chance of mandating only guns and related gear.

I have to say that this is not completely bad. I've found a lot of neat non-gun stuff at gun shows. Also the jewelry and other stuff seems to be attracting more women to the shows, with increased opportunities for them to get knowledgable about and interested in guns, self defense and the shooting sports by looking at what gun stuff there is there. It's a good antidote to the TV spectacles of Million Mom marches of tearful, propagandized mind-control zombies.

Love Life
06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
If any of you ever get a chance I highly suggest you check out the Big Reno Gunshow. It is awesome.

canyon-ghost
06-23-2012, 02:15 PM
One of the reasons I go to gun shows is to see the vendors. I get their address and phone number if they have a lot of things I want. I get to know people that way.

Can't say I buy any non-gun related stuff. I have a fair amount of reloading books though.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Qwert

captaint
06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I still go to the shows. Some of the smaller ones are the best, if you want todo something other than just look at somebody's collection. The last big show I went to - not one vendor was selling primers or any reloading supplies. The vendors told me I have to go to the show the end of August. I guess we'll try that - once anyway. enjoy Mike

jcwit
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Around here ... They all want to dis-arm you ... I won't go!

My thoughts;

Think about it ... They want you to pay them to walk around in their area unprotected, but do not provide real security. They want you to BUY a gun you can not carry in there (an empty gun is just a very expensive club!) they want you to BUY ammo that they prohibit you from loading into your gun. And the holster they hope you buy to support the vendor they sold a table to, is only useful to carry your expensive club around ... But they "support" the gun rights movement? Yeah right! They just want to make a living off of the regular Joe who has become accustomed to being dis-armed when "big brother" thinks it is best for YOU!

WAKE UP! They do not support the 2nd!

While I agree with your thoughts it actually has to do with insurance policies and not the promoter wishing to do away with the 2nd amendment.

MT Gianni
06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I can not think of anything that would raise the price as much as for a vendor to know that my dream gun was a S&W mod 35.

runfiverun
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
i wonder how the guy's that were showing guns felt the first time someone sold one at their gun "show".
maybe somebody should start a gun sell.