PDA

View Full Version : Funeral today

Olevern
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, just got back from a funeral for the grandpop of one of the boys I mentor. I don't quite know what to think. One of the daughter-in-laws brought a boom box to the graveside service and played for all assembled a song which the main theme seemed to be "I'm gonna hire a wino to decorate my home". Lyrics about drinking, getting drunk, slapping a woman's "behind". Nice.

I think the pastor officiating got appolexy. Relatives stepped up and recalled with fondness law breaking behaviors and encounters with law enforcement officers.
I have attended many funerals and officiated at more than a few and, I gotta say, I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'm halfway between hilarious laughter and just shaking my head. Mayby I'm too old and too stiff. Not a bad bunch really, but not a lot of respect for the law (or convention) either.

I think I have just been to a hillbilly funeral.

FISH4BUGS
06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
When I go, they will play "....another one bites the dust".
Not sure if it will be at the burial, but at the service certainly.
Maybe that is what he wanted.

gray wolf
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
In this world today there are many things we don't understand, they seem foreign
to us. The reason is because it's not the world we know or have known.
Take a very good look at what goes on around you/us think hard about it and it gets a little easier to understand, not accept, but perhaps understand.
When it's our turn we can right the script. If you play with someone
Else's foot ball they make the rules.
When I find something distasteful I don't participate, or I do it in private.

clintsfolly
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
I do not want a funeral I want a party!!! I want the people to remember the fun and Great times!! Clint

largom
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Have you ever been to a Hillbilly funeral?

Larry

7br
06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I went to a funeral for my cousin last year. I was one of four individuals wearing ties. The other three ties belonged to the preacher and a couple of the funeral home employees. Trucks out numbered cars by a good 3 to 1 margin. Facial hair versus smooth shaven was about 4 to 1. Slightly less for the distaff members of the gathering. The cemetary was down a couple of miles of gravel road.

I pondered on the funeral on the way back home. I came to the conclusion that Jim accepted everyone as they were when he was alive, why should I be any less accepting of them just because he passed?

fishhawk
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
No funeral no party no nothing. Just want to slip out quiet so no one even knows I am gone or was ever here. steve k

linotype
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I do not want a funeral I want a party!!! I want the people to remember the fun and Great times!! Clint

Same here. We call it an Irish wake. Time to share the memories and support the living.

rockrat
06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
At mine, I want music and celebration. Figure I have had a pretty good life. Play Amazing Grace to Bagpipes, Hotel California and Take it Easy for the last one. Loud, like I played my music. Heck, stick a set of earbuds in my ears and turn on my MP3 before you lower me in the ground

Recluse
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I want to be cremated with the ashes being divided up and going to the following locations:

1. My home airport so that I can always see the other pilots and THEIR bad landings for all of eternity.

2. My favorite fishing lake.

3. The dressing room for the Victoria's Secret catalogue photo shoot.

My wife assures me she can get me to locations #1 and #2. I fear the will might be breached over #3.

No funeral service. Instead, a combination fly-in, fishing shooting tournament.

If I'm fortunate enough to have some advance notice of my demise, it is my intention to become THE biggest SOB for hundreds of miles around.

That way, everyone who comes to the fly-in and fishing/shooting tournament will have ample reason to celebrate my passing.

As long as there are dogs in Heaven, I'll be all right. If I don't see any, then I'll know I'm in Hell.

:coffee:

wv109323
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I went to the funeral of distant kin to my wife. The eldest son of the deceased had on blue jeans and a plain white T-shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve.
Like on the T.V. program "Taboo", what might be taboo to me might be a way of life to some one else.
I don't know what it is but it seems like death brings out the strangest behavior/traditions/customs/beliefs in people. I have heard of some very strange things happening at funerals and wakes services.

jcwit
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
My family is to contact our local American Legion and give me the same Service I have been party to many, many times over the last years.

To!

melter68
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Well we all live different life styles and have different outlooks on life, theres on thing we all have to do and thats come and go.

GOD BLESS ALL OF US

and take care of those left behind

ElDorado
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Relatives stepped up and recalled with fondness law breaking behaviors and encounters with law enforcement officers.

Now I know why the boy needs a mentor. Do some good for him.

Jeff

nvbirdman
06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Some people dress nice, and some people wear the clothes that the deceased always saw them in.
The most important thing is to be there to pay your respects.
When they plant me I won't much care what people are wearing, I'll be too busy learning to play a harp (or shoveling c**p to keep the fires burning).

Bret4207
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I've been to funerals where the deceased was more or less trashed by everyone there. At least the rednecks at this one liked the guy.

I think El Dorado made the best point- see if you can help this kid and add some chlorine to that gene pool.

41 mag fan
06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
When we buried my grandfather 5 yrs ago, we laid his ashes to rest playing music that he loved to listen to. He loved the big band era music and the piano.

When it's my time, I don't want people to dress up. I want them normal or what they love to wear the most. If its summer..shorts and a tee shirt or tank top, winter...sweat pants and shirt.

they want to mourn, mourn when I pass, at my funeral celebrate my life as I lived it.

Olevern
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I've been to funerals where the deceased was more or less trashed by everyone there. At least the rednecks at this one liked the guy.

I think El Dorado made the best point- see if you can help this kid and add some chlorine to that gene pool.

My goal is always to at least show them that there is a different way to live and a different view of the world around them; then eventually, they get to choose which life style to adopt. Sometimes there is a big shift in paradigmes and in other cases there is a blending of the two belief systems.

You can't make those decisions for them, and to even have a chance you have to spend massive amounts of time with them in their developmental years to offset the influence of those they spend the most of their time with, but I have had a modicum of success over the years with a number of children.

I believe that when we do our part, God adds His little bit to the mix as well, thereby honoring our effort.

I think it is sad to watch and make excuses (not my problem) and then complain about the state of our society. God's people are suposed to be the salt and light of the earth.

Go out and be salt and light.

WILCO
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM

Get him this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062080415/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=emilypostcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0062080415

blackthorn
06-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Several years ago my wife and I went and joined a memorial society. Cost about $15 each to join. Then we went to the local funeral home and prepaid our funeral costs for cremation. Total cost for both of us was $4000.00. That covers picking up the remains, preparation, cremation, and there will be enough for the kids to hold some sort of memorial service (if they choose). The other thing we did was to sign up to be organ donators (if there is anything anyone else can benifit from). Funerals are not for the dead, they are for the living and they provide closure for most folks. I had a very good friend who's aunt died and, according to her wishes there was no funeral, no service, just internment. My friend said that to him it was as if she was not dead, and it felt like he was being denied the right to be with her. When he passed, there was a memorial service so that he could provide his family with the closure he never got from his aunt. At the end of the day, to each his own. Mine will be ashes to ashes.

Olevern
06-23-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRK1vqcuvg

WILCO
06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah, thanks Olevern. I've done my share and have earned the right to "Pass" on the glasses. Under today's liberal, litigious society, the risk is too great to one's personal and financial freedoms.

popper
06-23-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't care, I'm not going to be there! Those that love and care will be.

Jeffrey
06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Cremate me, load me into shotgun shells, have a 21 gun salute!

Jim
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I told Janet that I want my remains donated to medical science. I'd rather see some young person learn something studying my cadaver than throw away good money to bury it. We contacted the nearest medical university, they sent us all the documentaion to fill out and it's done. All Janet has to do is call the university and tell 'em "Come get it."

nvbirdman
06-24-2012, 01:06 AM
I will be having cataract surgery soon on both eyes.
I would like to thank all the organ donars that my doctor was able to practice on before it was time to slice on my eyes.

Olevern
06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah, thanks Olevern. I've done my share and have earned the right to "Pass" on the glasses. Under today's liberal, litigious society, the risk is too great to one's personal and financial freedoms.

Thou shalt......."and thy neighbor as thyself".....(unless the risk is too great).