PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington bullet test

Trailblazer
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I stumbled on this thread at the Marlinowners forum. The author tested a variety of 35 caliber bullets in wet phone books at ranges out to 200 yards. Comprehensive and well written with excellent photos!

Of particular interest is that one of the bullets tested was the RCBS 35-200-FN. You can see how it compares to the jacketed bullets. There is also a picture of one recovered from a deer.

Glen
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Link please?

PS -- Nevermind, I found it. For anybody else who is interested, this is an excellent piece of work that sheds a great deal of light on the performance of .35 caliber bullets in the .35 Remington.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7180

Trailblazer
04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I guess the link would help! Duh!

Thanks Glen.

OLPDon
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer great find.
Glen I looked for the link and I couldn't find it I guess some guy's get Big Buck's and some of us have to harvest Doe's
Thank You to Both of ya's
Don

Larry Gibson
04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Very, very well done article. I've copied it for future reference. Now I'm wondering what some of those bullets will do from my 26" M91 Mauser(?). I've been pushing the RCBS 200 gr bullet cast of WWs at 2300 fps with reasonable hunting accuracy so now I think I've faith in it out to 200 yards on deer. Years ago I did some loading of a 35 Remington in a Remington Bolt action (M722 I think?) which had a 22 or 24" barrel. The owner just loved it for deer and elk and his favorite bullet was the Winchester 200 gr Silver Tip. Unfortuneately they weren't included in the test as they don't make 'em any more. I found a partial box (47) at a gunshow a couple years back and have been hoarding them for use in the M91. However, based on the results of the expansion the author got at 200 yard with the RCBS cast bullet I probably will just use the cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
excellent article

Blammer
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
outstanding article!

lots of good pics!

I guess I know what bullet I'll be trying to use on deer!

that 200 gr Lead bullet was quite surprising to me!

Bass Ackward
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
outstanding article!

that 200 gr Lead bullet was quite surprising to me!

Really?

What's surprising to me is how many people are surprised. I guess my testing showed me what to expect for lead at that range so I have the confidence. Seeing is believing.

The 35 bore is in my opinion the king for cast. It has almost ever advantage. It is large enough for good bullet weight and small enough for a descent ballistic coefficient. It doesn't beat you to death. The bore diameter is large enough to have strength during expansion with soft lead at higher velocities. And you don't need a fast twist rate to stabilize it and cause problems for cast.

Now I can understand why Old timers always said that there was no advantage to using copper over lead in the 35 Remington.

Again testing shows you what to expect.

Good testing and writeup.

35remington
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys.

The comments from all of you knowing the critical (and knowledgeable) bunch you all are mean a lot to me. I am in some very, very experienced company here.

I still don't know if my back's recovered from lugging all that stuff around, but I had a lot of enjoyment doing it. And a small country range to do it in.

Since that time more deer have fallen to that RCBS, most shots through and through.

Like BA said, it is a good deer shootin' gun with cast.

Blammer
04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, BA.

I have been primarily a Cup and core bullet shooter, except for my Black Powder rifles.

I have shot lots of Lead in my 35 rem and 357 mag lever gun, for practice but never could get any definitive answers or results concerning lead bullets. Everyone always said they'd be good for hunting but then when pressed they (who ever I'm speaking to at the time is "they") say they use "x" bullet which is not a lead bullet. Sooo....

so having NO information on their performance, i opted to use something I have "seen" or at least have a picture of versus a "no info" type bullet. (if that makes any sense.)