PDA

View Full Version : 311041 flash at hollow point hole

floydboy
06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Just started casting with my new to me 311041 last nite. Can't believe it but after warming up got great boolits. Have to admit I did a lot of reading here first and was quit apprehensive about HP'ing but it worked.....I used an alloy I found on here of (WW +2% Tin) + 50% pure lead. Worked very well. The only problem I had was flash around the HP hole. I was able to trim it off so no big deal. I assume this was caused by too high heat. I did have a few boolits that didn't have very much at all but can't say I had any that didn't have at least a small noticeable amount. Any suggestions of what I can do to eliminate this flash. I would have some awful pretty boolits if I can get rid of it.

Thanks,,,,Floyd:)

runfiverun
06-22-2012, 12:05 PM
if i were getting good fill out,and not getting cavitation cavity's in the bottom of the hollow point.
i would be able to live with trimming a little flashing off the nose.
otherwise i would look at how tight the hollowpoint stem was fitting the hole in the mold.
and possibly having a tighter stem made.

beagle
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
That's a result of having a loose fit in that area of the HP pin. Many of the older factory HPs will flash in that area due to wear.

There is a simpler solution other than trimming. Get a section of 5/16" diameter aluminum stock. Cut off a piece about 1" long. Using an electric drill as a lathe (if you don't have one) and the file as a cutting tool, turn a shank about 1/2" long on one end and .250-260" in diameter (enough to fit into the TP slot of your lubricator sizer. Turn the other end flat and square it up. Then turn a 1/8" long "tit" on it the diameter or a tad bigger than the opening of your HP cavity. You now have a "nosepicker" TP (called so because it removes the boogers from the HP cavity).

Using this instead of your regular TP when sizing will swage any flashing back into the bullet meplat and give you a very round cavity with the internal edges slightly rounded. An additional added value is that it centers and aligns the bullet while sizing.

Been using a variety of sizes for years and it cures the trimming./beagle

floydboy
06-23-2012, 08:24 PM
beagle that sounds like an excellent idea. Do any of the vendors on this site that sell top punches make something like this. I could do it with my small drill press but not with the level of excellence I'm sure could be done with a lathe.

Thanks,,,,,Floyd

runfiverun
06-23-2012, 09:05 PM
i would talk to the perfessor he makes top punches and should be able to figure out what you need.
buckshot can make you a new pin if needed.

beagle
06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I've made 'em on my DP too. A good wire brush is a must as the aluminum clogs the file. Takes about 20 minutes with my jury rig to turn one out of aluminum./beagle

beagle that sounds like an excellent idea. Do any of the vendors on this site that sell top punches make something like this. I could do it with my small drill press but not with the level of excellence I'm sure could be done with a lathe.

Thanks,,,,,Floyd

blackthorn
06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote "A good wire brush is a must as the aluminum clogs the file. "

Have you tried rubbing some kid's "side-walk" chalk on your file? Makes cleaning sooooo much easier.