PDA

View Full Version : Anzac Day

onceabull
04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
"----At the going down of the sun,and in the morning, We will remember them.." Mrs.O. has prepared the Anzac Biscuits,and the Flag is up in honor of our stalwart friends beneath the Southern Cross.. Onceabull

piwo
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
And a wonderful holiday it is! I'll drink a toast when I get home from work. :drinks:

scrapcan
04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
here is a link to some history

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.htm

floodgate
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Jeremy:

Thanks for the link, and for the reminder of our debt to our ANZAC friends - and to our Canadian neighbors, too!

Doug

NVcurmudgeon
04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
May we be at peace, but when evil threatens may we continue to have ANZAC forces in our corner, and may we be always ready to return the favor. And that goes for the British and Canadians, too.

ihmsakiwi
04-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks Guys. It is warming to see the heart felt feelings from around the world commemorating our fallen and those that returned from the wars. More pleasing also to see the throngs of young New Zealanders turning out for the Dawn Parades held around the country, many wearing their fathers and grandfathers medals. Thanks again from down under. Peter.

Nardoo
04-26-2007, 06:52 AM
And thanks to you guys who helped us in the South Pacific. My Dad was in 452 squadron and spent much of WWII fighting in that arena. Although his passing is beyond 30 years now, he always spoke in glowing terms of the yanks with their wonderful equipment and courageous nature.

He used to say we'd be speaking Japanese but for the US forces. Perhaps a little politically incorrect now but maybe not so far from the truth?

Aussie N.

scrapcan
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
As a youngster (i was only 10 when it came out) I watched the movie Galipoli. I was inspired to learn more about the other allied troops that served the world in the two big wars. If I had not watched that movie, I would not have learned a damn thing about the rest of the worlds efforts, I have never heard nor seen mention of Anzac Day in any history text book from elementary school through 3 college degrees. Granted my advanced degree is not in History, but I had to take a lot of humanities and history was the best choice for me.

thanks to all who served and will serve. And glad the link was worth something.