PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt and .44 Mag

Gibson
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Just posted FWIW. . .

Got some loads ironed out with cast, over the last two-three weeks.

I TL twice even though these molds are not TL molds, seems fine. . .

OM Vaquero 7.5" bbl

.45 Colt
WQWW
Lee .452 mold 300 gr. FN
Gas Check
Re-size to .452 just to add check
TL before and after resizing

New Starline Brass .45 Colt
CCI No. 350 Primer
H110 N/A

ProChrono Digital results:
H 1343
L1318
AVE VEL 1324

Reasonably accurate and very definitely potent. Crimped in groove nearest nose; crimped very tight.

SBH 4 5/8" bbl

.44 mag
WQWW
Lee .430 mold 310 gr FN
Gas Check
Re-size to .429
TL before and after resizing as above

New Starline Brass .44 Mag
CCI No. 350 Primer
H110 N/A

ProChrono Digital results:

AVE VEL 1346

H 1361
L 1337

ES 24*
SD 10

* The wide spread is due to crimp variation. I was testing. Another whopper snapper IMO. Acceptable accuracy and power to spare. Crimped in groove nearest nose; crimped very tight
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not given powder charges but both are within sane standards. "Ruger only", yes. Stupidly heavy, no.

Fun to shoot and neither are budget busters for me. Bloody trigger finger aside, I enjoy feeling the powerful recoil up to a point. (Actually, the bloody finger is due to the fact that I have sausage links instead of fingers.) I have shot several short strings of both calibers over the last several days. I will stop at these loads. They will be used for practice (for me this equates to paper, water filled gallon jugs, 4x4s, etc.) and possibly some hunting later. Big Bore + Big Boom + Reasonable Accuracy = Fun in my world :)

It took a bit but I got these two molds working well for me. Well, as in the sense that they produce bullets that seem to fly well. As far as molds per se, I have no idea how they would stack up, probably not so well against more expensive molds, but they suit me, okay. . .

[Edit: Molds are C452-300-RF and C430-310-RF]

Adios

MBTcustom
06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Thank you for resisting the almost undeniable urge to call it the long colt. I hate it when folks do that and congratulations, you are the first person that I have noticed that got it right since I have been here.:drinks:

RobS
06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Nice report.......The 452-300-RF gas check was a pretty good performer for me but I never warmed up to the shallow crimp grooves although they were enough most of the time too keep the bullet in place. The 430-310-RF is nearly the same for the 44 class firearm and it too shoots quite well in 44 mags. Both seem to be pretty accurate in a wide variety of firearms but do drop quite quickly once past 150 yards; for those that shoot that far out or shoot these two designs in rifles.

Gibson
06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Thank you for resisting the almost undeniable urge to call it the long colt. I hate it when folks do that and congratulations, you are the first person that I have noticed that got it right since I have been here.:drinks:

;-) Thanks Tim, I am obliged for the reply. Hope all is well with you.

Andy and Joanna had another safe journey down to Memphis and back, today. 48 more trips and the chemo is done! My boy (Andy) turns 15 next month and I thank God for every day now. I think I'll get a 6 cavity mold for his Colt and cast him a boatload of .45 ACP to shoot for his birthday.

Gibson
06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Nice report.......The 452-300-RF gas check was a pretty good performer for me but I never warmed up to the shallow crimp grooves although they were enough most of the time too keep the bullet in place. The 430-310-RF is nearly the same for the 44 class firearm and it too shoots quite well in 44 mags. Both seem to be pretty accurate in a wide variety of firearms but do drop quite quickly once past 150 yards; for those that shoot that far out or shoot these two designs in rifles.

Thanks Rob! Glad to share.

MtGun44
06-22-2012, 12:55 AM
.45 Long Colt is entirely correct, to properly distinguish it from the shorter .45 Schoefield cartridge
which was issued in the same era, somewhat randomly for the 1873 Colt Single Action Army and
the relatively rare and short-lived S&W Schoefield revolvers. .45 Long and .45 Short for the Colt.

I sometimes take the shortcut route and call it .45 Colt, but there is nothing historically
incorrect about .45 Long Colt. No different than .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle.

Bill

Hang Fire
06-22-2012, 01:10 AM
I haven't tried it, but seems the .45 LC with heavy boolits is getting more and more shooters attracted to it.

I am surprised at the loads some bow hunters in Wyoming are stuffing into their Judges for back up when in griz country. My son-in-law loads up with 360 grain boolits in his Judge that I would not try in a Ruger SBH.

geargnasher
06-22-2012, 01:22 AM
.45 Colt was introduced by Colt, without a "short" version. There never was a headstamp in all of history that read ".45 Long Colt".

The .45 S&W Schofield is a totally different animal, can't be fired in a .45 Colt, therefore is not suitable for comparison, except for names perhaps "given" by the calvary and infantry amongst themselves to distinguish the two cartridges which were in use by the military at the same time.

The .45 Colt Government, as issued by the arsenal later on, was a slightly shorter version of the original .45 Colt, but bore the same headstamp as the original, Colt-designated version. My personal theory is that this cartridge was a military modification to allow easier chambering in heavily fouled guns, but I have no evidence to prove that cylinder throat fouling was an issue with the Army at the time.

Remington made a "true" .45 Short Colt cartridge around WWI, but it quickly faded into history. If I remember right, someone produced a box of these and the box label said "short" but the headstamp just said ".45 Colt". The existence of this round doesn't automatically make the other one "long" in my book.

None of this, to me anyway, affects the fact that the .45 Colt was an "only child" compared to the .32,.38, and .41 S/L Colt and the many others offered in two or even three different lengths, as was common from the inception of fixed metallic cartridges until the end of the 19th century. Also, there was never, as far as I know, a production gun chambered only for the "short" cartridges introduced by Remington 30 or 40 years after the SAA was first produced. People have argued over this, and will continue to, for the rest of eternity I'm sure, but certain facts remain, and it's up to your own interpretation whether you accept the the term that was given through usage, or by the original and unchanged official designation.

I call it by the same name the inventor did when he started producing it over 140 years ago. Anyone else may call it what they like, I'll know what they're talking about either way.

Gear

Gibson
06-22-2012, 01:24 AM
.45 Long Colt is entirely correct, to properly distinguish it from the shorter .45 Schoefield cartridge
which was issued in the same era, somewhat randomly for the 1873 Colt Single Action Army and
the relatively rare and short-lived S&W Schoefield revolvers. .45 Long and .45 Short for the Colt.

I sometimes take the shortcut route and call it .45 Colt, but there is nothing historically
incorrect about .45 Long Colt. No different than .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle.

Bill

My methodology involved reading the head stamp. It says plainly "45 colt".

The Schofield cartridge evidently came into being two, possibly three years, after the .45 colt cartridge. The horns of that dilemma are difficult to navigate. If you are saying it was so named to distinguish from something had not yet come into being. The .45 COLT was designed and submitted to the Army in 1872 for use in the M1873 revolver (also submitted in late 1872). The Schofield .45 cartridge was not marketed by S&W until 1875. One is given a name at birth. :p

You can call yourself a poodle dog but it "don't make ya one". I suspect that it was like many things people came along and 'jacklegged' a name to it that stuck. I have however read an article where I believe none other than the GREAT ONE (no, not Jackie Gleason) Elmer Keith swore he had a box of cartridges marked "Long Colt". But I cannot recall where I saw it. . . possibly a dream. But like I said, it's no big deal.

Gibson
06-22-2012, 01:27 AM
.45 Colt was introduced by Colt, without a "short" version. There never was a headstamp in all of history that read ".45 Long Colt".

The .45 S&W Schofield is a totally different animal, can't be fired in a .45 Colt, therefore is not suitable for comparison, except for names perhaps "given" by the calvary and infantry amongst themselves to distinguish the two cartridges which were in use by the military at the same time.

The .45 Colt Government, as issued by the arsenal later on, was a slightly shorter version of the original .45 Colt, but bore the same headstamp as the original, Colt-designated version. My personal theory is that this cartridge was a military modification to allow easier chambering in heavily fouled guns, but I have no evidence to prove that cylinder throat fouling was an issue with the Army at the time.

Remington made a "true" .45 Short Colt cartridge around WWI, but it quickly faded into history. If I remember right, someone produced a box of these and the box label said "short" but the headstamp just said ".45 Colt". The existence of this round doesn't automatically make the other one "long" in my book.

None of this, to me anyway, affects the fact that the .45 Colt was an "only child" compared to the .32,.38, and .41 S/L Colt and the many others offered in two or even three different lengths, as was common from the inception of fixed metallic cartridges until the end of the 19th century. Also, there was never, as far as I know, a production gun chambered only for the "short" cartridges introduced by Remington 30 or 40 years after the SAA was first produced. People have argued over this, and will continue to, for the rest of eternity I'm sure, but certain facts remain, and it's up to your own interpretation whether you accept the the term that was given through usage, or by the original and unchanged official designation.

I call it by the same name the inventor did when he started producing it over 140 years ago. Anyone else may call it what they like, I'll know what they're talking about either way.

Gear

Jeez Louise. . . you posted while I was typing. :bigsmyl2:

Quod
Erat
Demonstrandum

geargnasher
06-22-2012, 01:34 AM
My methodology involved reading the head stamp. It says plainly "45 colt".

The Schofield cartridge evidently came into being two, possibly three years, after the .45 colt cartridge. The horns of that dilemma are difficult to navigate. If you are saying it was so named to distinguish from something had not yet come into being. The .45 COLT was designed and submitted to the Army in 1872 for use in the M1873 revolver (also submitted in late 1872). The Schofield .45 cartridge was not marketed by S&W until 1875. One is given a name at birth. :p

You can call yourself a poodle dog but it "don't make ya one". I suspect that it was like many things people came along and 'jacklegged' a name to it that stuck. I have however read an article where I believe none other than the GREAT ONE (no, not Jackie Gleason) Elmer Keith swore he had a box of cartridges marked "Long Colt". But I cannot recall where I saw it. . . possibly a dream. But like I said, it's no big deal.

"..people came along and Jacklegged a name to it that stuck" is EXACTLY what happened.

Gear

Gibson
06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Cartridge names. . . and here I thought some of you might say good on you, Jay! You got an average velocity of 1324 f/s with a 300+ gr. cast pill in .45 Colt (7 1/2" barrel) and 1346 f/s with a 310 gr. cast pill in .44 magnum (4 5/8" barrel)

Here I thought it was just an exceptional accomplishment considering the guns ate them fine. As a matter of fact the guns have ate a multitude of them over the last many days.

:(

I'm joking, of course.

Gibson
06-22-2012, 01:36 AM
I thought I had coined that word? ;)

geargnasher
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
I woulda said "good on you, Jay!" but I didn't know your name! Heeehee, you have fun with those hand-cannons there. You're getting some pretty good results using Mule Snot for lube, get yourself some real lube and your accuracy might be more than just "reasonable". You should be able to keep them all on a pie plate no problem at 100 yards, and with some practice do better than that. Too bad Ruger never did put enough of a donkey leg on the back end of those two guns, that trigger guard is a knucklebuster for sure, and the Hogue grips just lower your grip stance so you can't hit anything with them and makes the recoil worse.

Gear

fcvan
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM
I enjoyed reading of the success Gibson had with his loads. I recently picked up a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt and my wife picked up a Ruger SBH. I only have 1 mold for the .44 which is the Lee C429-240 SWC. She likes those scooting at @1000fps.

I have been playing with the .45 Colt for about a year in an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine and now in the Vaquero. I have several molds for the .45 Colt and even more for the .45 ACP. The Lee 453-255 RF and the C452-300 RF are the molds I'm using mostly in the Vaquero.

The loads listed by Mr. Gibson are certainly stout and surely a handful. I have shot similar velocities from my Vaquero with a 4 5/8" bbl. I think it is interesting his loads for the .44 and .45 are similar in performance of weight and velocity but the .45 is doing it at somewhat less pressure. No matter what, it is still a handful of fun!

Launching those hot loads in the 20" Carbine lets you know it has a crescent steel butt plate. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 300RF at around 1000 fps from the Vaquero (around 1250 from the carbine) for everyday stuff and the occasional spina porcus. The really hot stuff I just can't shoot all day! Frank

(I can't resist this) My Vaquero is my 'short' 45 Colt, and my Carbine is my 'long' .45 Colt

Gibson
06-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks! By reasonable I meant putting them all in a saucer at 125 yards ;) I am certain that I can lay it at the door of TL'ing!

All joking aside TL'ing and the accuracy incurred suits me right down to the ground. Accuracy is probably a tertiary concern for me. I walk 20 - 30 yards outside and grab a seat behind a half refrigerator. I place down a cup of coffee, I light a Cohiba or grab a chew of Beechnut, and I commence to send rounds downrange. (Now if it's the chew, I finish my jailhouse brewed coffee- you know, Chester from Gunsmoke style, first) I either shoot revolvers at 25-30 yards into paper pistol targets or rifles at 50+ yards; or if I'm energetic I'll throw some jugs in a Fackler Box or shoot some 4x4s or some such impediment. (Once shot a new toilet. It sounds crazy but somehow I found it comical. Wife almost thrashed me! Hey, I thought it was some sort of gag flower pot. It was on the porch for the Lord only knows how long! I though it was a good joke, I snatched it up and carried it over to one of the desks I have set up in my range area and turned it into porcelain chips with my Mossberg 590 and some SFMBP slugs (600 gr. at 1650 fps).) Seeing that revolver breathe fire is what I enjoy. If I put all 6 somewhat close together, wonderful, if not, so what? IF I ever hunted with a handgun, I'd have to get within 35 yards :)

Gibson
06-22-2012, 02:52 AM
I enjoyed reading of the success Gibson had with his loads. I recently picked up a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt and my wife picked up a Ruger SBH. I only have 1 mold for the .44 which is the Lee C429-240 SWC. She likes those scooting at @1000fps.

I have been playing with the .45 Colt for about a year in an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine and now in the Vaquero. I have several molds for the .45 Colt and even more for the .45 ACP. The Lee 453-255 RF and the C452-300 RF are the molds I'm using mostly in the Vaquero.

The loads listed by Mr. Gibson are certainly stout and surely a handful. I have shot similar velocities from my Vaquero with a 4 5/8" bbl. I think it is interesting his loads for the .44 and .45 are similar in performance of weight and velocity but the .45 is doing it at somewhat less pressure. No matter what, it is still a handful of fun!

Launching those hot loads in the 20" Carbine let you know it has a crescent steel butt plate. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 300RF at around 100fps from the Vaquero (around 1250 from the carbine) for everyday stuff and the occasional spina porcus. The really hot stuff I just can't shoot all day! Frank

(I can't resist this) My Vaquero is my 'short' 45 Colt, and my Carbine is my 'long' .45 Colt

Spina Porcus, indeed. We are getting them and have been for some time.

The .45 load seems to hit extremely hard. I believe when all is said and done that bullet weighs around 310-315grains, I didn't weigh one though. And I'm telling you it punches LARGE round holes. No matter how ya slice it (pun intended, as it were) .429 is not .452. I clean my guns after shooting but have zero leading?

Honestly, I'm a big guy and those two loads are enough to make me notice. I loaded up with medical tape this evening (or last evening) on my left index finger. (Yeah, southpaw) Both the .45 LONNNNNGGGGGG Colt and the .44 mag kick like a dying mule. As my kids say they are beast. But as I typed I like Big Booms! Fun, fun. A little blood is a small price to pay :) I remember bashing my forehead against a barbell many times before a big squat attempt in my younger days. I'm fairly certain that the masochistic streak has carried over. My wife assures me that I clearly show early signs of some sort of concussion syndrome ;) I actually plan on getting a BFR in .500 S&W next. Don't need it, not in the least, but I want it.

God bless you!

Plinkster
06-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Fcvan, now that's a long and short definition I can get behind!

RobS
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM

There you go, short and long 45 Colts and nobody can tell you differently. :lol:

Jim
06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I had a Taurus Judge (forgive me, Father, for I have sinned) that had '.45 Long Colt' stamped under the barrel lug. Consider the source.

MtGun44
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
At one time, in the 1870s and 1880s or even later the term "Long Colt" had some actual value. I
agree that it is long past. The claim that the Schoefield .45 will not fit the .45 Colt is not
correct, altho sometimes there can be a rim issue with some batches of the Schoefield. I believe
that at one time the standard Army issue cartridge was the .45 "short" (Schoefield) so that
it would work in whichever gun the trooper had.

Not any kind of an expert, but it always seemed like a tempest in a teapot, people getting
all cranked up over an old slang term that apparently had a real use at one time, but now
has kinds stuck. Sure it is not on the headstamp, but there is no such cartridge as a ".223 Rem"
either, but that's all they can fit on the head.

OK - I checked Whacky-pedia (not always right but pretty often, especially on non-political things) and
get this info:

"Frankford Arsenal produced the .45 M1877 Military Ball Cartridge which was identical to the S&W
cartridge but had a slightly smaller rim diameter of .512 inches (identical to the rim of the .45 Colt
cartridge) which could be used in either the Colt or the S&W revolvers. Production of the .45 Colt
cartridge was then discontinued by the Frankford Arsenal with the .45 M1877 ball revolver cartridge
being adopted as the only .45 revolver cartridge issued from then on."

So as I see it, there was REAL NEED to specify which of the two .45 cartridges you were talking about
the long Colt cartridge or the short Schoefield or the short Army "universal" cartridge, because
if you had the Schoefield revolver the long Colt cartridges were useless to you. Not particularly
useful today, but old slang like this hangs on forever in the gun community.

Bill

Gibson
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, I also read that last evening but it just didn't seem worth correcting. Indeed, it (the Schofield) seems to not only be usable in M1873 in most cases but was evidently used by some troopers of old. "The .45 Schofield cartridge was shorter than the .45 Long (sic) Colt. It could be used in both the Schofield and the Colt 45 Peacemaker, but the .45 Long (sic) Colt was too long to use in the Schofield."

But what has this to do with my compliments? :) I solicited no shadetree expert advice on components, asked for no cartridge names, gave voice to a straightforward recitation of what I used, how I used it and noted that I was very pleased with it. A FWIW. No more, no less. Now we are debating cartridge names. Internet forums never cease to amaze me. I can guarantee I contributed to sidetracking this.

I'll print up some more and run some testing soon enough. I think I want to work up a .357 magnum round. I just had my 72 year old mother swing over to Owensboro and pick up two jugs of WC 820. So I guess I'll be working with that powder for a WHILE! Mr. Bartlett claims this lot has a burn rate similar to H110. BUT it's a pull-down, so who knows. . . Mr. Bartlett seems like a fine fellow. My mother said he was quite respectful. He'll get some more 'bid-ness' from me.

Adios!

MikeS
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Gibson: that discussion was a very small amount of 'thread drift'. Now if they were discussing if the 22-250 was better than the 220 Swift, than that would be extreme thread drift! :)

MBTcustom
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I've seen some of these things start with a raging discussion about something innocent like paper patching a 22 something-or-other and end up with an all-in discussion about poodles vs. pit bulls as house pets.
Like the Goodyear blimp what lost its tether, hell bound for nowhere.
This one isn't off topic by much.
Now, as to the correct term for the 45Colt, you can say it wrong if you want to, but I will hold on!
While I'm at it, Its a barrel not a bubble (bbl) "another one that bugs me".
certain members here have bubbles on all their guns. They slug their bubbles to find the groove diameter.
You see Gibson, this is how you drift a thread, give 'er a little nudge and watch it slide! Internet subterfuge at its best!

Gibson
06-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Roger that, Mike.

Getting ready to step outside and blaze away with the .44; I have two sets of twins here and somehow it clears my head or rattles my brain, as it were. Interesting dichotomy.

Just printed up nine cylinders worth. . . After considering geargnasher's admonishment about lube, combined with a VERY UGLY incident about 3am with "mule snot". Yeah, I went to squirt a dab into a tupperware container and the bottle exploded! Dang near knocked my eye out! J/K. . . but it did saturate a small area on my garment, and got generally on things in my work area. Yeah, I should be thinning it/heating it but it was 3 am and just a few casts were involved. I figured a vigorous roll back and forth would get me a dab or two. But the paws crushed the jug. . . Ugly, very ugly :) Thank God my wife works 3rd shift!!

Think I'll place an order Monday. . .

On another note, Ran down to the tire place and picked up 105.5 lbs. of WWs for 25 bucks. I pick through. Tried to find several of the pure Pb stick-ons for future reference. I usually manage to get mostly usable ones, until I just start grabbing. . . I also have 16 lbs of WC 820 waiting. Good times!

Adios!
Jay

Gibson
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
It is a reference to:

"In the early 1860's, when oil production began, there was no standard container for oil, so oil and petroleum products were stored and transported in barrels of all different shapes and sizes (beer barrels, fish barrels, molasses barrels, turpentine barrels, etc.). By the early 1870's, the 42-gallon barrel had been adopted as the standard for oil trade. This was 2 gallons per barrel more than the 40-gallon standard used by many other industries at the time. The extra 2 gallons was to allow for evaporation and leaking during tranport (most barrels were made of wood). Standard Oil began manufacturing 42 gallon barrels that were blue to be used for transporting petroleum. The use of a blue barrel, abbreviated "bbl," guaranteed a buyer that this was a 42-gallon barrel."

Thus it's really a unit of measurement. I think it's another term that has been fraudulently introduced in the gun world. MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA! I will flagellate myself with Ramen noodles for incorrectly using the term! :) :)

Now leave me alone! I'm going to retire to my shooting area.

God Bless
Jay

gray wolf
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I guess you could say the original thread is about over with EH.

44man
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Words mean nothing in the end. It is how you view them.
S.H.I.T means Ship High In Transit. Manure in old shipping boats would get wet and make gas. Going into the hold with a lantern would blow up the ship. All manure bundles were labeled S.H.I.T.
The word stuck but I don't know where Long Colt came from? There were just so many .45's, someone said it and it stuck.

Longwood
06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
What is the big deal?
There are people here that evidently do not know how to spell bullets.
When do you think that argument will start and how long will it last?:coffeecom

runfiverun
06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
actually the bbl thing from above is correct.
we still measure everything in bbl's in the oil field [tanks,velocity,iron], then convert to gallons,feet whatever is needed.
how's that for thread drift [almost as good as the drift to cam timing and the the affect of exhaust valve timing on an engines performance]
back to the bbl thing.
barells are curved the way they do because when being shipped by rail the trains would slosh the liquid back and forth the curved tops would slosh it right back into the bbl instead of it hitting the top cover and knocking it off.
they found that by only putting 42 gallons in the bbl it would roll over and not knock the top off or slosh out of the drum.
oil/gasoline/kerosine/coal oil/whale oil/olive oil, all were shiped by rail for a very long time before pipelines were invented.

MtGun44
06-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Cool! I learned why barrel on a gun is abbreviated "bbl" - frankly thread drift is just
like a normal conversation.

Bill

Gibson
06-24-2012, 02:16 AM
What were we discussing here? ;)

Of yeah. . . I think was what is the meaning of this phrase:

"like the night in which all cows are black"? No, no, that's not it. . .

Was it the Academy's robbery of Bogart and Wayne by not nominating either in '48? Nope.

Hm. Was it how to determine EV in the moneyline on a MLB game? Naw. . .

Oh yeah it was about the "Nomen sacrum" of that cartridge fired by the M1873 Colt's Revolver.

[Edit: It was about what a wonderfully eclectic group of eccentrics that gun nuts/"boolit" nuts are!]

geargnasher
06-24-2012, 02:24 AM
I though we were talking about removing waterproof coatings from garments and skin at 3AM......:bigsmyl2:

I still think Run's cam timing and phaser drift holds the forum record for drift, and I enjoyed it thoroughly! Not sure the OP did though, but he's probably forgiven us by now.

Gear

Gibson
06-24-2012, 02:54 AM
I though we were talking about removing waterproof coatings from garments and skin at 3AM......:bigsmyle2:

Gear

Ouch! That one will leave a mark :) Fear not, oh wise one, I shall heed your, as Arnold would say, "ADVICES". The wife doesn't have to come in and see the mess I've made and shoot that look at me twice, I get it the first time. . . especially when that look is followed by heaving some heavy objects toward my head ;)

BTW: NaClO at 5% worked for my hands, well, either that or it helped to abrade the layer of skin that it was on. My clothes? Not so good. Shirt has come to an ignominious end of days. It landed in the burning barrel, or is that the burning bbl? Nah, it's a barrel.

geargnasher
06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
All you need is GoJo or Goop Creme hand cleaner, works great on clothes too.

Gear

Gibson
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
My shirt is screaming from the barrel at you. It's saying "now you tell me".

goofyoldfart
06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I loved this thread. my only problem is how to find the money for my "right type" bbl with which to shoot my 45 cal. long colt boolits. :bigsmyl2: :redneck: . God Bless to all.

goofyoldfart. (now you know why they call me/myself that)[smilie=l:

runfiverun
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
i'd try a round one with some twisty squarish bumps inside it.

Gibson
06-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Here's me touching off one the .44 rounds. Andy stopped while I shooting and took it with his phone cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPAQmwZLFg&list=UU6-3g6Pu1aLVt5GtxsMSs9Q&index=1&feature=plcp

gandydancer
06-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Army supply 1877. hay sarge I need some 45 ammo. sarge.long or short? neither. 45/70.

MBTcustom
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Still trying to understand what oil-field jargon has to do with firearms. I know that the abbreviation refers to the blue barrels that they ship oil in, and I have no problem with that abbreviation as it pertains to those items.
Its OK though, if you want to call your rifled barrels "BBL's" feel free to do so, just know that I am reading it "bubbles" and laughing at the mental picture.
Why oh why do we not abreviate it "RBL" instead of "BBL"? RBL denotes a "rifled barrel" and makes a lot more sense to me as an intuitive abbreviation, as would "BRL".

runfiverun
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
it really don't, but one acronym for bbl is as good as another.
it's just a same acronym different meaning.
maybe a gun barell doesn't have a shortened version,it could have just been me using the form of Bbl i was used to seeing.
i have never seen the word bubell bubbel bubble whatever shortened.
besides that i think it would be shortened to bbbl??? maybe not.

Longwood
06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Acronyms suck!
People that use them and expect us to know what it is he is saying, need to grow up and knock off with the texting nonsense.
My ribbon never seems to run out of ink,,, so I write it out.

geargnasher
06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
After writing out "lithium 12-hydroxystearate", "dimethylpolysiloxane", "polyalphaolefin", and "polyalkyleneglycol" a few times, the rest of you can just learn the acronyms! :bigsmyl2:

And if you've been around this site for a week and haven't figured out what ACWW means, you'se kinda dense IMO.

The abbreviation that still gets my goat is "pp". As in "pages", used in MLA reference format. "p" is "page" if there's only one referenced, "pp" if multiple pages are referenced.

Gear

Plinkster
06-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Well then according to my 3 year old son he left a few "pages" on the tree in the back yard this afternoon!

runfiverun
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
:lol: ^^