PDA

View Full Version : Found 1 can of goex powder!!!

horsesoldier
06-20-2012, 11:43 PM
It might seem pretty insignificant, but I finally came across a can of REAL black powder!!! Its triple F but I am going to take quilbilly's advice and start at 75 grains with a tight fitting ball. Shooting my 58 caliber investarms. Range report to follow....

Hellgate
06-21-2012, 12:51 AM
I await the range report as I have one of those rifles too!

waksupi
06-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Should work fine, I shoot 3F in everything.

HARRYMPOPE
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
It might seem pretty insignificant, but I finally came across a can of REAL black powder!!! Its triple F but I am going to take quilbilly's advice and start at 75 grains with a tight fitting ball. Shooting my 58 caliber investarms. Range report to follow....

Kittitats Trading Co in Ellensberg Wa. carries Goex.

George

gnoahhh
06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I too use FFFg in everything. Only one source for it around here, and they want about double retail for it. Plenty of ersatz black powder, for the inline crowd though. I started ordering it on line years ago. The $25 hazmat fee notwithstanding, its still way cheaper than local retail, or the gas burned driving hither-and-yon in search of it. Put together a group order with your buddies and it starts to really get cheap. (Not to mention delivered right to your door step.)

Tatume
06-21-2012, 08:57 AM
These people have good prices and are very nice to deal with. If you get an answering machine leave a message, the nice lady is talking to someone else. She will call you right back.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Take care, Tom

bob208
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
black powder is only a little brown truck away. as pointed out the hazmat fee gets off set with the price of gas.

horsesoldier
06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I called the trading post and they have it!!! Thanks for the heads up!

troy_mclure
06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Heck, I live in louisiana (4 hours from goex) and I can't find any black powder around here.

horsesoldier
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Drove to ellensburg and bought two pounds of 2f graf and sons black powder.23 bux's a can, I am definitly ordering it next time. Apprently there is also a place in cle elum that sells it.

HARRYMPOPE
06-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Drove to ellensburg and bought two pounds of 2f graf and sons black powder.23 bux's a can, I am definitly ordering it next time. Apprently there is also a place in cle elum that sells it.

Ft Wallula Firearms Carries it also and it's $17 a # when he has it in stock and he will order it in for you. I had no clue Kitittats was that high!!

George

shredder
06-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Should work fine, I shoot 3F in everything.

I have been shooting pyrodex rs for many years and finally had an opportunity to grab some real black. It is goex fff. I shoot .50 cal inline with 400gr lyman great plains that I cast from pure lead and some 240 gr.45 cal flat nose that I also cast from pure lead, in sabots.

Can you share some experience with the fff black? I am thinking 75 grains to replace my normal 100 gr pyrodex.

Sound about right?

joec
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
My group just made a group buy, I got 8 lbs of black powder, 2 swiss, 2 goex, 2 KiK and 2 Scjietzen. The hazmat fee when purchasing 25lbs is pretty nominal when split up between a few guys.

Multigunner
06-23-2012, 12:33 PM
W W Greener's book "the Gun and its Development" cautions against use of too fine a powder in reloading BP cartridges, but those he wrote of were the African big game cartridges with massive charges and extra heavy bullets.

gon2shoot
06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I just made an order for 3F, Grafs lets you buy smaller amounts than some places.

357maximum
06-24-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a slow twist Green Mountain 50 caliber barrel on a H&A style underhammer. It actually prefers Shuetzen 3F over any other ganulation/make of BP. My new slow twist .45 Green mountain barrel is almost ready for testing....i will start with 3F shuetzen from past experiences. Do not be afraid of the finer granulations of bp.....they work. I shoot 95 grains of 3F wano sheutzen under my .495 RB's in the 50 and they are very zippy and exceptionally accurate. They are also lights out for whitetails. The only powder that even came close to the accuracy I get with shuetzen is my homemade BrownPowder made from wheat straw charcoal instead of the normal willowood charcoal.

TCLouis
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm like Waksupi, it Triple F for everything from 45-54 caliber for me.

Do use some Double F for conicals just because I have it and need to use it up.

whtsmoke
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
I shoot Goex 2f in my 62 cal. smoothbore flintlocks and also in mt 54 cal. hawken(roundball only). The only time I ever bought pyrodex was for Enfield musket, didnt like it and havent used any sense.

Bullet Caster
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I've still got a pound or so of GOEX 2F and prob. a pound still in my powder horn. I've got another pound (nearly full of GOEX 3F) for my cap 'n ball revolver. Also have approx. a pound of primer 4F. I don't know what I'll do when I finally run out. I don't live close enough to anyone to go for a group order. Guess I'll check out the prices at Bass Pro since that's the only sporting goods store around this neck of woods. And that's nearly 15 miles away. BC

Mike Brooks
06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I bought a ca.1900 can of dupont 2ff at an auction a week ago for $6. works great and over 100 years old!:Fire:

Mike Brooks
06-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I've still got a pound or so of GOEX 2F and prob. a pound still in my powder horn. I've got another pound (nearly full of GOEX 3F) for my cap 'n ball revolver. Also have approx. a pound of primer 4F. I don't know what I'll do when I finally run out. I don't live close enough to anyone to go for a group order. Guess I'll check out the prices at Bass Pro since that's the only sporting goods store around this neck of woods. And that's nearly 15 miles away. BC
You can mail order as little as 5lbs from some companies. Even with the hazmat fees you'll get it cheaper than Bass Pro.
everybody ought to have a case or two stashed away....:drinks::drinks:

quilbilly
06-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Good luck with your test. I think it will work out just fine for you but I have found every front loader I have has a distinct personality. Each wants a different technique for lubing either the patch or the barrel. It is all part of the fun though.

izzyjoe
06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
i don't think bass pro's carries real BP. i have always wanted to try real BP, so last week while on vacation near Mobile i called around and found some BP, but it was $21. i think next time i'll order some from Graf n son's!

whtsmoke
06-26-2012, 07:31 PM

you might try Track of The Wolf for black powder, I guess they still have it mine I bought quite a few years ago and still a bit left.

whtsmoke
06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I just checked thier site(Track of the Wolf) and they still stock goex powder, min. order is 25 pounds, mix or match.

Flinchrock
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
These people have good prices and are very nice to deal with. If you get an answering machine leave a message, the nice lady is talking to someone else. She will call you right back.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Take care, Tom

Let it right out didn't cha.....

OverMax
06-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Bullet Caster said: I don't know what I'll do when I finally run out. You could always try making it. Some pretty good threads here on Cast Bollit's showing how its done. Materials aren't hard to find. That's for sure. At 400 to 450.00 a case now and rising. (a 25 can case) It sure is tempting to start making one's own.

Beagle333
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
You really gotta get 10# before you start saving much, but 2 or 3 people might benefit from that if you live close enough to each other.

Goex
5 lb. lot: $22.95 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $17.90 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $14.50 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat fee.
see all their prices here (http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm)

357maximum
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Making your own BP is something good to know how to do, even though it is easy. Saving money on making your own BP works out about as good as saving money making your own castboolits in practice however. :veryconfu

horsesoldier
06-30-2012, 11:04 PM
I shot the 58 today with 2f grass black powder. 120 grains of 2f and with a patched rb at 100 yards I shot one three shot two inch group. I adjusted my sights and tomorrow I am going to shoot it again. I can't even hear the musket cap go off.Just one big boom.I am never shooting triple 7 again. It seems easier to load when its dirty with holy black, the fouling is a lot softer. I should order a case of it!

lrdg
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I've got a couple pounds of dupont when my grandfather died. They must be at least as old as I am. I may shoot it someday. May pass it on to my grandsons.

daschnoz
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
i don't think bass pro's carries real BP. i have always wanted to try real BP, so last week while on vacation near Mobile i called around and found some BP, but it was $21. i think next time i'll order some from Graf n son's!

They do. You need to ask for it at the gun counter. Post 9-11, the alphabet boys tightened the regs around explosives. Real BP is considered an explosive. Bass Pro must keep it in a locked cage (limited access) and keep a record of the sale. They keep record of the transaction number and your driver's license number.

There is no background check or other form that you fill out.

Personally, I think it is stupid. If terrorists want to blow something up, they will simply smuggle much more powerful explosives (provided by Iran, Syria, North Korea, etc.) across the US / Mexico border.

troy_mclure
07-06-2012, 10:39 PM
The bass pro near me, and the nearest one after that in iirc Jackson ms don't carry it at all.
I've asked several times at each.
Cabelas near me doesnt Cary it either.