PDA

View Full Version : Need Rain!

ShooterAZ
06-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Here in Flagstaff it is so dry that the forests have been declared off limits to shooting and other recreational activities. I'm surprised that we haven't gone up in smoke like some of the others places here in the Southwest. We need some serious rain! I guess the coming weekends will be spent casting, rather than shooting... at least until we get some good rains.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I wish we in MN could send you and our texas CBer's some of ours.
it's gettin' deep...the sweet corn is wearing waders.
Jon

Iowa Fox
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I wish we in MN could send you and our texas CBer's some of ours.
it's gettin' deep...the sweet corn is wearing waders.
Jon

Jon, I'm just south of you in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area and could sure use some here as the rains are going north of us. Looking at the corn today at noon and its really curling bad. Might get a spinkle tonight but just a shower is all that is forecast. We need a good two day soaker if the crops are going to produce. The hot dry winds blow hard here every day. I hear the Nebraska guys are really dry.

felix
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Arkansas also, needs it badly. ... felix

twotoescharlie
06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
kinda dry here also, saw a tree following a dog around this mornin'

TTC

Stick_man
06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Pretty dry here as well. All open campfires have been banned now and there was talk of even banning target shooting (not sure if they passed that or not). There were a couple brush fires recently the authorities are blaming on target shooting.

Faret
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Very dry here as well. Everything goes just north or just south.

ShooterAZ
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Yep...no shooting of any kind is allowed. It is so dry here the hummingbirds are trying to drink out of the tail light lenses of my truck.

bowfin
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
We have been pretty dry, but we are getting some rain right now. Nebraska has been pretty spotty. One county gets nothing, the one South of it gets over six inches.

I hope those of you needing some rain get some as well.

DIRT Farmer
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I walked out in the corn field here, low ground looks ok hills are curling bad. I have been cutting hay, I will try to bale the clover in the morning to keep some of the leaves on. I was going to put some chillies in my beans at dinner but decided the fire hazzard was to high.

williamwaco
06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
This time last year, 90% of the entire state of Texas was in
"Severe Drought" They said last night that we are down to only 1.5% in severe drought.

It will get better.

waksupi
06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
We are only one inch short of setting a monthly record. I'm sure hoping it stays wet. With as much growth as we have had, once it cures, the fire danger will be serious. I've seen times when rangers would cover the wilderness areas, and have people take the shoes off of the horses, so they weren't making sparks.

ilcop22
06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
We're droughting here in Northern IL, too. Haven't mowed in 3 or 4 weeks cause nothing is growing. Looks like some showers tomorrow, though.

Rick N Bama
06-20-2012, 07:31 PM
It's dry as a bone here in N. Alabama as well. I'm having to water my garden at least 2 times a week these days and without a well that sure makes the water bill go up.

Rick

geargnasher
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
This time last year, 90% of the entire state of Texas was in
"Severe Drought" They said last night that we are down to only 1.5% in severe drought.

It will get better.

Either feast of famine in the Lone Star State. What Ric said is right on for us, too. We had some very wet years in 2007-8 and the flora boom followed by a three-year drought is what set the stage for something like 30% of the state to have been burned to the ground last year.

Gear

Mk42gunner
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I haven't mowed my yard in a month. Usually I don't have to stop mowing until late July.

50% chance of showers today and tomorrow.

Robert

tdd4570
06-21-2012, 12:34 PM
We had a 100 acre bosque fire maybe 5 miles from my house yesterday. Thankfully the wind didn't come up until it was contained. All of the SW is in bad shape.

FISH4BUGS
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
We had a very wet May but June has been average.
We have had a dry spell for about a week.
The garden veggies are getting watered so no issues here. I don't care about the lawn. It can always recover.
We have a 600 ft deep well so water is not an issue. The only thing I hate is paying the electricty for the 220v pump motor to bring that water up 600 feet!
Right now it is just simply HOT! 95.....with high humidity.....
No casting....no reloading.....no shooting.....just sweating.

GRUMPA
06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
It's really dry right now up in the north eastern part of AZ right now, they have a good sized forest fire going on right now about 754mi S.SW of us and the air is really thick with smoke at the moment. They only give us a 20% chance of rain this weekend but I think on Tuesday next week it looks like we'll get a 50%, both the wife and I are crossing our fingers, we could really use the rain right now.

41 mag fan
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
So dry here...the dandelion leaves crunkch under your feet.
The corn right down the road from me is waist high and tasseling, another field right beside it, the corns between waist and knee high and dead except for the last set of leaves on top.

My inlaws are so sick of rain they can scream. They're up in N MN, and it's nonstop every day it seems to them.

rockrat
06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Here in Western Colorado, we haven't had any moisture since our last snow, about 1", back in early May. Going to be 102 degrees on Saturday

HollowPoint
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
During those particularly hot and rainless summers here in Arizona, as a kid our dad used to tell us, "I'm so Dry I could fart Dust."

That's how dry it can get here in Arizona.

HollowPoint