PDA

View Full Version : First melt, First cast

Gator 45/70
06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Have been interested for some time in making my own,So after several month's managed to cobble together enough tools to make a attempt...and here it is..I have a way's to go...lol
First i picked up boolets out of the berms,washed these and air dried..

Bought a few used mold's,dipper and a pot from a young guy who's Uncle had passed and he has no intrest in casting...

Hit the local flea market and picked up this burner that i modified for Nat.gas,Rigged a hose and fired it up yesterday...Here are the result's...

As a added note,My cull factor is 50%..I sure with a better set-up my % rate should improve...Also most of the cull's have a ripple look...Pointer's are appeciated !!! Thank's...

geargnasher
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Those look exactly like my first boolits 20 years ago! Welcome to the club.

Read this thread, particularly my post #7. There isn't a thing wrong with your setup once you figure out how to use it: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=156398

Gear

shadowcaster
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I had similar results right out of the shoot. If you don't have one, make sure you invest in a thermometer. Temperature will often be the difference between good boolits and the culls. Also, make sure you have the proper safety gear.. gloves, eye protection, long sleeves.. etc. Happy casting. :)

Shad

Gator 45/70
06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks' for the pointer's and kind word's guys'...

I suspected tempature was my main problem..I'll get that corrected when i fly back in from the Gulf next week...Thanks' Again !!!

44man
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Yes, you have all you need. A thermometer would help get the heat up to where you need it and then just remember the gas setting.

Gator 45/70
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I have a couple of Fluke #62 I.R. Therometer's...These should work or no ?

Kilroy08
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a couple of Fluke #62 I.R. thermometers...These should work or no ?

It will only give you surface temperature, if it even works right. When the target surface is shiny and reflective, you will get any where from erratic readings to error messages out of the thermometer.

I'm in the same boat, I have an IR thermometer as well. Looks like a Lyman or RCBS thermometer that actually goes in the mix will be on order.

cummins05
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
welcome aboard they are not as bad as you think my first boolits looked terrible too

No_1
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
The IR's do tend to reflect off the shiny melt and give erratic readings but by floating a penny on the melt and shooting it with the IR you can get a pretty accurate reading.

R.

Gator 45/70
06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Good info. Gentlemen and Thanks'
I'll use a copper penny..Would'nt want to take a chance with the zinc one's..lol

Another question..Berm boolit's..Good stuff ?

geargnasher
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Berm boolits/bullets are fine, although you might have better results if you add just a pinch of lead-free solder or other source of tin, no more than one percent by weight, to the pot. If you're finding a lot of cast boolits in the berm, you might not need the tin, but jacket cores often have some antimony in them and will be hard enough for most pistol work.

+1 on the copper penny, pre-1982 I believe. You can also shoot the outside of your pot about an inch below the lead level, that will give you a somewhat decent reading provided it isn't breezy and the flame is temporarily cut down to take the reading.

A casting thermometer, though not absolutely necessary, is a great tool for the beginner, it will save you a lot of trouble learning the ropes.

Gear

williamwaco
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Berm boolits/bullets are fine, although you might have better results if you add just a pinch of lead-free solder or other source of tin, no more than one percent by weight, to the pot. If you're finding a lot of cast boolits in the berm, you might not need the tin, but jacket cores often have some antimony in them and will be hard enough for most pistol work.

+1 on the copper penny, pre-1982 I believe. You can also shoot the outside of your pot about an inch below the lead level, that will give you a somewhat decent reading provided it isn't breezy and the flame is temporarily cut down to take the reading.

A casting thermometer, though not absolutely necessary, is a great tool for the beginner, it will save you a lot of trouble learning the ropes.

Gear

+1

Reclaimed bullet cores are my favorite alloy.
They do need a smidgin of tin.

9.3X62AL
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
HEY, welcome to the asylum and to the addiction!

All the above is great advice, and I'll pile on with the idea that heat is your friend--and once you get the mould blocks and alloy to proper temp that the boolits will start looking like National Match winners.

All the best, as you pour and learn!

olafhardt
06-21-2012, 02:13 AM
When I first read "first melt, first cast" I wondered if some noob tried to cast before melting,glad I was wrong. Welcome aboard. That is not bad fot the first time out. Don't be afraid to ask questions or tell us about things you did, especially stoopid things. We like those.

fishindad
06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome from another greenhorn! I have most of what I need at this point. My primary bullet mold is shipping now. I do have a shotgun slug mold I am itching to try out too. This site is a great resource. Again welcome!

Gator 45/70
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Thank's Gentlemen...Have been in transit from the beach to the Gulf of Mexico...

My dumb question's will start next week when i beach in..lol

My new motto : ''Laissez les bons boolits rouler'' ..Let the good boolits roll...lol

wallenba
06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
We've all been there Gator. As all point out, get a thermometer, and a hot plate to heat your mold on. Keep your mold as close to the spout (or dipper) as possible. The melt begins to cool as soon as it leaves the pot. No direct fan cooling either.
I wonder how many would be casters are out there because they gave up, because they could not get it right. I almost did, but I found this website, and bingo!

Gator 45/70
06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes,I was thinking about the hotplate deal...I have 2 at my camp..The older is coming home..
The day's at my first run at it was indeed breeze...Hence the brick's around the burner..
I see modification's to this set-up in the future...

Thermometer will be added to my now growing ''Hit List''...It's now a must have item..Tks.